• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things People Inexplicably Love

Stone

3.  Over cooked green peppers - olive-colored slimey goo. blehhh

Does anybody love over-cooked green peppers?

Yes. On pulled pork sandwiches with onions. Delicious.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Tequila. Even good stuff. Especially good stuff.

That said, any kind of liquor that's been adulterated to taste like candy. Hooch should taste like hooch - end of conversation. Except for tequila, as mentioned above. Want a mixed drink? Have a Manhattan.

Cream and sugar in coffee.

Clams. I don't understand it - I don't pretend to understand it, as I love every other known form of shellfish, cooked or not.

Peanut sauces - but raw or roasted peanuts in a dish are great. Bad memories of a wonton dish that was coated in this stuff (cold dumplings coated in a thick, nasty variation on a thai sauce), which I consumed shortly before a two day bout with the flu. Oddly enough, stomach acid didn't really alter the taste all that much...

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

I dunno - if not, why do they put them on pizza?? ewwwww

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

me again - and what about stuffed peppers??? the peppers are soft and gross.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

such as super-sweet breakfast cereal,

Captain Crunch with Crunchberries is one of the best reasons to raise small boys. I love all of that sugary goodness. I especially like the way that my teeth are coated with a padding of sugar paste after a big heaping bowl. MMMMMM. THat's good eating. My brother used to pour them out into a big bowl, like Jethro, and eat all of the Crunchberries, take the toy (Captain Crunch had cool toys), and then put the plain cereal back in the box. I hated him for that. :laugh::laugh:

You also get that lovely "film" atop the milk after eating the Cap'n Crunch.

And don't you love the way half a box of Apple Jacks will make the roof of

your mouth totally raw?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

As far as things that most people find perfectly edible, I have but one extreme dislike:

Cold lunchmeat sandwiches (except for corned beef, which is totally God's gift). I actually broke down in tears the last time I had to eat one (MIL had ordered subs).

I don't care for chicken (any part of the bird) or ham either, but I can eat them without sobbing.

Gourmet Anarchy

Wow, reading this thread really gets one's brain going... :wacko:

Hmm... I guess #1 would be cilantro. It's one of those things that people eat because it's trendyand they don't want to look unhip. It's detergent. And it's not like Bobby Flay is gonna kick down your door and backhand you if you omit it from a recipe.

Turkey Burgers... one of those foods that lil ladies like to live on and brag about how healthy and allegedly delicious they are. That's ground turkey meat, dark, light, whatever. If it's dark, you're getting scummy runoff and would be better off with good beef in the end. If it's breast meat, the burger is nearly inedible. Get over yourselves and have some real food.

Green tea ice cream - I love ice cream. I love green tea. Somehow together, it's just way too bitter (had it w/honey once, and that WAS terrific however)

There aren't really a whole lot of foods I genuinely hate (there's a lot of stuff I just never get to have well-prepared, though.) I guess the pet peeve for me is foods that people like, and think you should too, because they're told they should like them, and if you don't, you're unhip, unsophisticated, unhealthy, etc. Get a life, folks, it's just a burger. :raz:

Edited by laurenmilan (log)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

such as super-sweet breakfast cereal,

Captain Crunch with Crunchberries is one of the best reasons to raise small boys. I love all of that sugary goodness. I especially like the way that my teeth are coated with a padding of sugar paste after a big heaping bowl. MMMMMM. THat's good eating. My brother used to pour them out into a big bowl, like Jethro, and eat all of the Crunchberries, take the toy (Captain Crunch had cool toys), and then put the plain cereal back in the box. I hated him for that. :laugh::laugh:

I've seen an all-Crunchberries box of cereal called "Oops! Crunchberries" (as if they made a mistake at the factory). I don't think it's a regular item, though.

The FAQ is interesting:

Cap't Crunch's web site

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Raisins. I just don't get how people can eat these by the handful. I find the taste and texture just nasty.

My mother eats them by the handful. I don't know how. The thought makes my teeth itch. Sometimes I'll cook with them, for the flavor, but I have a hard time eating them unless they are totally hidden by other stuff. My father calls cooked raisins "bloated ticks."

Mayonnaise. Had a bad childhood experience at my great-aunt's Easter party. The food was served buffet style, so I took a big spoonful of everything. Including from a large bowl of pudding, sprinkled with what I now realize was paprika. I sat down, took a great big bite, and gagged. It was mayonnaise. :shock: It has taken me almost 25 years to get over that experience enough to even buy mayo for my husband. He loves the stuff and delights in grossing me out with it.

Said husband requested that I post his idea of food other people love, but he thinks sucks: anchovies.

Once, hungover and hungry at a train station in Europe, he bought a sandwich and took a great big bite- and immediately barfed in the trash can. Anchovies!

I love 'em. :wub:

They shouldn't put them on pizza. They shouldn't put anything on pizza. As a matter of fact, they shouldn't make pizza at all. It should be outlawed! Yuck!

They shouldn't put them on pizza. They shouldn't put anything on pizza. As a matter of fact, they shouldn't make pizza at all. It should be outlawed! Yuck!

I LOVE green peppers on pizza. When they use Italian frying peppers and cook the hell out of them. A sausage (90% garlic) and pepper pizza from Anthony's on the road to Guilford, CT is my personal grail. The peppers ROCK.

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

Beets, nasty things, taste like dirt. Yuck!  Also, Ice Wine- I know I probably just don't have the palate for it but it tastes like wicked expensive white grape juice to me.  I just don't get it.  Funny thing is, people keep offering this very pricey stuff to me even afterI've told them my opinion of it.  Still, ok, I'll drink it, just don't understand the whole buzz about it.

Ice wine has to be the most successful fraud ever pulled off in Canada.

what is ice wine? have i been living in a jar?

what is ice wine? have i been living in a jar?

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Beets, nasty things, taste like dirt. Yuck!  Also, Ice Wine- I know I probably just don't have the palate for it but it tastes like wicked expensive white grape juice to me.  I just don't get it.  Funny thing is, people keep offering this very pricey stuff to me even afterI've told them my opinion of it.  Still, ok, I'll drink it, just don't understand the whole buzz about it.

Ice wine has to be the most successful fraud ever pulled off in Canada.

Are you saying it's not just me?! If so, thank you!!!!! I've been so shunned............

You're not alone. I don't like it either :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

:shock: I thought that we had settled this and were going to bury this obvious fault of yours under the rug and never talk about it again. I am extremely dissappointed in you. :raz::laugh:

Port. I have had some of the supposedly best port (read most expensive/oldest) that can be had any number of times-served properly and all of that other ritualistic crap and I have to admit that I don't get it. Yuck. Tastes like it's gone bad even when it's good. I feel that I am doing a service to all port lovers by not drinking it. You can send your thanks and money to me.

And you can send any bottles of Port you may be gifted with to me. :biggrin:

You know I don't get the fact that Cilantro and Corriander are the same thing. At least so my hubby says :blink:

Why can't they just call it one or the other? :rolleyes:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Damn, I don't think eggplant is the greatest thing, but I don't despise it.  Scotch isn't my favorite, either, but in the right context, it's OK.  Oysters made me sick the last 3 times I ate them, but I haven't given them another shot in 12 years.  But really, honestly, I don't think there's anything that I truly, positively despise.  And I'm including chemical laden stuff -- such as super-sweet breakfast cereal, bright red weiners, Scooter Crunch Bars (check those ingredients some time), and fat-free half and half (I always get a kick out of that one).  Damn, I'll eat anything you put in front of me -- and my waistline is proof positive of that.

Me too, more or less. There are some things I avoid (e.g. milk to drink and milky coffee) but if I don't really enjoy eating something, I find it very difficult to say that it is icky or yucky or makes me gag etc etc

In fact I generally find people saying that food is icky/yucky/gaggy to be much more icky/yucky/gaggy than food itself! :shock::biggrin:

Chloe

North Portugal

:shock: I thought that we had settled this and were going to bury this obvious fault of yours under the rug and never talk about it again. I am extremely dissappointed in you. :raz::laugh:

Port. I have had some of the supposedly best port (read most expensive/oldest) that can be had any number of times-served properly and all of that other ritualistic crap and I have to admit that I don't get it. Yuck. Tastes like it's gone bad even when it's good. I feel that I am doing a service to all port lovers by not drinking it. You can send your thanks and money to me.

And you can send any bottles of Port you may be gifted with to me. :biggrin:

You know I don't get the fact that Cilantro and Corriander are the same thing. At least so my hubby says :blink:

Why can't they just call it one or the other? :rolleyes:

Cilantro is the leaf and coriander is the seed

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321