• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things People Inexplicably Love

Stone

Chicken Breast (why would anyone eat it if they can get chicken legs, also leave the bones in please)

Where have you been all of my life? Together, we can create the most magnificent fowl the world has ever seen -- the chicktopus. I've only needed a partner to test the multi-leginator that's in my garage right now. You can hold the chickens while I clamp them together and flip the switch. We'll sell the breast meat to aspirin companies to put in their bottles. My dream, my dream is coming true!!!!!

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

gin :biggrin: fish - any kind

No. I don't like fish gin either.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Don't care much for Cool Whip.

Well...

How and why would you?

That's the margarine version of whipped cream, right?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Milk. When I was pregnant and had to drink it, it had to be chocolate and really, really (I mean, like almost frozen) cold.

Most cheese.

Coffee. Smells good, sometimes, but can't get it past my tongue.

Pickles, sauerkraut, green olives.

Chicken livers make me gag.

(I didn't like the roasted cauliflower either. And I made it twice, just to see if I did it wrong the first time.)

sparrowgrass

Oh my - so many things in common with you all:

Gin - it's just nasty. I can't get past that juniper smell. It smells like floor cleaner.

Vegemite. WTF??? It's like the sludge off the bottom of a dirty beer fermenting tank mixed with copius amounts of salt. Spread it on toast??? You gotta be kiddin' me.

Scotch - smells and tastes like peat moss.

Very acrid aftertastes in things - bitter or hoppy beer, tonic water, regular grapefruit juice( I like the Ruby Red)

Weird offal - I'll do liver in all it's forms, love sweetbreads, but I only like tripe in small doses and forget brains or intestines. 23_11_36.gif

The very first time I had Uni I spit it into my napkin. It was like a mouthful of wet sand. Then I tried truly fresh Uni from a sushi chef that I trust, served in a Chinese soup spoon with coconut milk and a dollop of caviar on top. That remains one of my favorite things.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Oh and I thought of something else.

I hate the taste of chocolate dipped berries , specifically raspberries and also chocolate-berry desserts. I love berries with whipped cream though.. I really dislike the combination of acidity and that chocolatey whatever. Yuck. It just doesn't taste right to me. I think it makes the chocolate taste sour.

You all have hit many of mine (who knew so many other people don't like gin), but there are a couple:

Squid. I don't care if it's fried or sauteed or sushi, I just don't like the taste. I was at a restaurant with several people who had one of the place's signature squid dishes, and were nearly swooning with pleasure. They said this was THE best squid they'd ever eaten. So I tried a piece. Yuck.

Raisins. I just don't get how people can eat these by the handful. I find the taste and texture just nasty.

Cherry anything. This includes and perhaps goes double for fresh cherries. There's something in the flavor that makes me gag. My family used to devour them by the pound in the summer, and I didn't even want to be near the carnage. Funny thing, though - they always said that I picked out the very best ones when I went shopping with my mother. I always picked them by color and touch.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I thought nobody else was going to say milk but sparrowgrass did. I just feel nauseous after drinking it, even soy milk, so it's not the lactose thing. Maybe I'll try the almost-frozen trick.

I didn't see cilantro yet. I just don't get that. It's sort of like saying "Yeah I love to drizzle some Dawn over my food every once in a while, just to get a hint of that flavor...mmmm!"

I am with foodie52 on chocolate and berries. I just don't get it. The acidity of the berries don't do anything for the chocolate and vice versa.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Damn, I don't think eggplant is the greatest thing, but I don't despise it. Scotch isn't my favorite, either, but in the right context, it's OK. Oysters made me sick the last 3 times I ate them, but I haven't given them another shot in 12 years. But really, honestly, I don't think there's anything that I truly, positively despise. And I'm including chemical laden stuff -- such as super-sweet breakfast cereal, bright red weiners, Scooter Crunch Bars (check those ingredients some time), and fat-free half and half (I always get a kick out of that one). Damn, I'll eat anything you put in front of me -- and my waistline is proof positive of that.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

OH THANK GOODNESS, I'm no longer alone, I HATE coleslaw. YUCKY! Keep it the hell away from my pulled pork, what are you, crazy? :angry:

and I don't get Krispy Kremes, either.

K

Here's one I can agree with.

Never touch the stuff.

But I do love a good Reuben.

Eel is awesome stuff.

Raisins are good, as are cherries.

And as anyone can tell from my offal thread, I love all that stuff.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Heh, most of my favorite foods have been mentioned here.

So I have this thing where, if I dislike a certain food I become obsessed with trying all ways of preparing it until I find one I like, or figure out what I dislike about it. Chicken livers underwent just such an intensive procedure, and here is the problem. It's gross!

What chemical trough coughed up Miracle Whip and called it salad dressing?  :blink:

Clearly, the same rocket scientists who think that Catalina and Thousand Islands salad dressings are haute cuisine.

I'm with all the gin haters.... aaaack. Scotch whiskey isn't high on my list either. Non-alcoholic beverages? Root beer and Dr. Pepper are completely deplorable. A mere whiff of root beer is enough to set my gag reflex in motion.

Then there are the infamous brussels sprouts. Every Thanksgiving, I'm forced to prepare these vile mini stink bombs for our family feast and eat my annual quota of 3 to placate the rest of my brood. Drowned in gravy, of course.

One of my standing food policies, especially at dim sum, is "No Feet, No Faces, No Organs". Absolutely positively nuh-uh. There's almost nothing more gross than watching someone polish off a bowl full of duck tongues or chicken feet or tripe... barfarama. Of course there are a select few exceptions. Come on, who could live without cognac pate? But go figure, I absolutely love raw oysters.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

such as super-sweet breakfast cereal,

Captain Crunch with Crunchberries is one of the best reasons to raise small boys. I love all of that sugary goodness. I especially like the way that my teeth are coated with a padding of sugar paste after a big heaping bowl. MMMMMM. THat's good eating. My brother used to pour them out into a big bowl, like Jethro, and eat all of the Crunchberries, take the toy (Captain Crunch had cool toys), and then put the plain cereal back in the box. I hated him for that. :laugh::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Cauliflower in any form. Looks like a bleached brain. When Mom tried to puree it into a soup I'd spend ours separating the liquid from the tiniest specs of this vile plant. So finally, after many, many years of avoiding it completely I decided to give it a try. It's even worse than I thought.

Tea brewed or served in a pot or kettle that came in contact with coffee. I'm about as sensitive to that as a mass spectrometer but not as polite about it as said instrument.

The difference between theory and practice is much smaller in theory than it is in practice.

Cauliflower in any form. Looks like a bleached brain. When Mom tried to puree it into a soup I'd spend ours separating the liquid from the tiniest specs of this vile plant. So finally, after many, many years of avoiding it completely I decided to give it a try. It's even worse than I thought.

Ah... Welcome newbie. You have not been initiated into the eGullet Cauliflower Cult. :laugh:

No kidding. Take care for the details of this incredible dish. The success is in the details.

Ve have our vays of indoctrinating you. BWAHAHAHAHA!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Ah... Welcome newbie. You have not been initiated into the eGullet Cauliflower Cult. :laugh:

No kidding. Take care for the details of this incredible dish. The success is in the details.

Ve have our vays of indoctrinating you. BWAHAHAHAHA!

OK, I'll read the referenced thread out of curiosity, but I'm not betting on ME cooking it. So many good things to eat, so little time to burn the calories. Why waste my metabolic capacity on cauliflower?

By the way, I do like broccoli.

The difference between theory and practice is much smaller in theory than it is in practice.

Uni. I just don't get it.

Ahem, I had to step in to provide a little inside perspective that might help all the UNI haters.

Indeed a challenging top-shelf sushi item, especially since it is highly perishable, and since people like Stone don't order it UNI doesn't move nearly as much as the usual suspects.

Oh, sure. It's all my fault.

Beer.

I'm not one to judge. But you're a freak.

I don't like beer either. Gag. Or pizza.

(edited to add pizza)

you ARE REALLY a FREAK

"look real nice...............wrapped up twice"

OK, reading this thread I thought of more

1. Sun-dried tomatoes - I don't get it - me no like!

2. Chicken legs - ick!! (once I eat the crispy skin off it - in the trash it goes!

3. Over cooked green peppers - olive-colored slimey goo. blehhh

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne