• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things People Inexplicably Love

Stone

You people are seriously whacked and need to see therapists!! :laugh:

Having said that, I can't stand foie gras (or any organ meat or innard), oysters, clams, mussels, octopus or squid. Guess I won't be eating at any high falootin' joint in the near future, will I?

Shun me, I dare ya. :raz:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

OH THANK GOODNESS, I'm no longer alone, I HATE coleslaw.

I always thought that coleslaw must be one of the most uneaten foods (as in it appears on your plate unbidden, and returns again from whence it came).

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

ditto green peppers and saurkraut.

i am also pathologically opposed to anything with orange flavor - harkens back to a childhood illness when for 2 weeks i had to take 100 baby asprin a day (seriously) and to buffer my stomach had to drink milk. my well-intentioned mom made me quik as a salve.

drinks are the worst - kool-aid, tang, but you'll never catch me with an orange popsickle either.

needless to say just the thought of chocolate and orange together makes me gag.

fresh oranges are fine.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Green Peppers

Celery

Sauerkraut ( had to get creative in hiding this trait from my german descendant Mother)

Truffles (taste like dirt. why bother? At a fancy schmancy dinner for the Millenium, these were in nearly every course. Ever try to pick around truffle shards in your mashed potatoes?)

Lima beans

Beef bouillion (force fed whenever I was sick as a child)

Sweet Sherry (gag)

Korbel/any cheap sparkling wine.

Guinness

Pork Chops (boring, no matter what is done with them)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Uni. I just don't get it.

Ahem, I had to step in to provide a little inside perspective that might help all the UNI haters.

Indeed a challenging top-shelf sushi item, especially since it is highly perishable, and since people like Stone don't order it UNI doesn't move nearly as much as the usual suspects.

Oh, sure. It's all my fault.

Beer.

I'm not one to judge. But you're a freak.

I don't like beer either. Gag. Or pizza.

(edited to add pizza)

Edited by PoetsGirl (log)

:shock: I thought that we had settled this and were going to bury this obvious fault of yours under the rug and never talk about it again. I am extremely dissappointed in you. :raz::laugh:

Port. I have had some of the supposedly best port (read most expensive/oldest) that can be had any number of times-served properly and all of that other ritualistic crap and I have to admit that I don't get it. Yuck. Tastes like it's gone bad even when it's good. I feel that I am doing a service to all port lovers by not drinking it. You can send your thanks and money to me.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Somebody needs to merge this with an older thread which asked, "What don't you get?" or something like that, I can't find it.

Don't hurt me, but my newest "so what" is the Roasted Cauliflower that everyone else seems to love. To be sure I used too much oil and it was greasy, but I just didn't like it well enough to try again with more restraint. I'll take my Cauliflower au Gratin any day. Other roasted vegetables I do like, especially asparagus and sweet potatoes.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Hot mayonnaise. Dessert wines. Vegetables in cheese sauce. Kidney beans. Truffle oil. Meat loaf ('My most hated of all the loaves." -Bart Simpson). Cottage cheese. Tuna casserole. Sanka. Turkey dogs. Frozen yogurt. Collards, kale, mustard greens. Marmite. Natto. Injera. Corned beef. No-salt chips. Dolmas. Manzanilla and Libby black olives. God, in the right mood, I can think that a lot of things suck.

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

Raw green bell peppers. They're nothing but unripe sweet red peppers, and that's just wrong.

Caviar. Big yawn. It's not even that I don't like it, I just don't find it interesting enough that I actually want to eat it. And I've tried it every way known to mankind. Actually, it was almost good on a toast point with peanut butter. :biggrin:

I have the same issue as Reesek with orange flavors; stems from that horrid Bayer baby aspirin that I was given whenever I had the pukes as a kid, which was too often.

Sea urchin? Tried it once in a sushi restaurant where it was most certainly unfresh. Vile. I will, if I ever get back to Cassis in France, sample fresh oursin right on the quai, fresh from the ocean, washed back with a very cold local white wine. And then I will decide.

Moxie. :blink::wacko:

Apple pie made with Delicious apples (a crime against humanity).

Andouillette: Hey! This really does taste like shit!

Beer (the only one that tasted okay is the one I got fresh from a micro brewery)

Most cakes, cookies, muffins, and any pastries in North American supermarket and shop (usually too sweet for me)

Chicken Breast (why would anyone eat it if they can get chicken legs, also leave the bones in please)

Sea urchin? Tried it once in a sushi restaurant where it was most certainly unfresh. Vile. I will, if I ever get back to Cassis in France, sample fresh oursin right on the quai, fresh from the ocean, washed back with a very cold local white wine. And then I will decide.

Some French friends of my family came to visit while I was in the midst of my Urchin Diving tenure and to their surprise, I brought a little tote of urchins I had harvested that day.

We were in a little bistro with funky sofas and the hostess gladly provided some espresso spoons. I sliced the top off of les oursins and presented them to these stupified guests who went crazy. Apparently, Maine urchins are up to standards, but my french is below average so I can't be sure. They insisted on buying another bottle of wine so I assume they were a hit.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Hmmm. I love beer, and most alcohol for that matter, but have a hard time with Scotch whiskey.

I can sort of enjoy it when mixed with club soda on the rocks, but I Feel this is sacrilege, I should be able to enjoy it straight... Perhaps I just haven't found the right scotch.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Truffles - I have tried. Oh, how I have tried.

Caviar - From the very best to the mediocre, bleh.

Raw fish in any form. (Ceviche isn't really raw.)

Any shellfish that I have to eat their innards - Only scallops need apply.

Anything too weird or stinky. I only carry adventure so far.

I am not into organ meats, animal heads, and other odd parts. I do like liver, though, especially foie gras (just quit putting sweet crap on it).

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Peanutbutter and jelly

Egg salad

Tuna fish sandwich

Fruit in my main course/side dish

Nuts in my main course

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

The account deactivations begin in five minutes.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That was one of the funniest moments in the history of American Presidents on Television.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...