• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things People Inexplicably Love

Stone

Uni. I just don't get it.

Ahem, I had to step in to provide a little inside perspective that might help all the UNI haters.

Indeed a challenging top-shelf sushi item, especially since it is highly perishable, and since people like Stone don't order it UNI doesn't move nearly as much as the usual suspects.

Oh, sure. It's all my fault.

Beer.

I'm not one to judge. But you're a freak.

Edited by Stone (log)

Oh my god I think I will get kicked off egullet for even admitting this but I don't like bacon cheese burgers...

I am not a fan of a big melted cheese + meat sandwich..(with exception paninis, a cheeseburger sans bacon & the occasional cheesesteak)

The Quizznos commercial makes me gag slightly, Ruebens I find vile. in fact cheese anywhere near chicken, corned beef, brisket or pastrami I find an extreme shonda. Have a chef friend who hates chicken I find that odd, but then again so is he.

Also molten chocolate cake, chocolate cake in general with a few rare exceptions, sesame crusted tuna, most balsamic vinegars, sundried tomatoes, ham as a main course, gefilte fish (kenehura my ancestors are rolling in the grave), pasta salad (unless its with pesto), Cookie Dough Ice cream (ugh!!!)

eggplant parmesan....vegetable lasagne....ham & pineapple pizza....and this is the weird one Mashed Potatoes I do not care for them at all at all at all esp. roasted garlic mashed potatoes.

hmm don't like sesame crusted tuna, flavored mashed, balsamic vinegar & sundried tomatoes, molten chocolate cake what the hell did I find to eat in the 90's?

Edited by aliwaks (log)

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Raw fish - everyone gets so excited about this stuff so I have tried to appreciate clams on the halfshell; raw oysters and sushi, but I think I need to surrender and accept that I just don't like any of it.

And yet shellfish (cooked) is one of my absolute faves.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Beets, nasty things, taste like dirt. Yuck!  Also, Ice Wine- I know I probably just don't have the palate for it but it tastes like wicked expensive white grape juice to me.  I just don't get it.  Funny thing is, people keep offering this very pricey stuff to me even afterI've told them my opinion of it.  Still, ok, I'll drink it, just don't understand the whole buzz about it.

Ice wine has to be the most successful fraud ever pulled off in Canada.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Peanut butter and milk. I feel unpatriotic admitting it, but I find both of these food items completely nauseating.

And that is not because I've never had the good stuff. We get farm-fresh milk in our CSA share every week, my husband says it's far superior to any milk he's ever had, but it's still just mucous to me. Bleah.

I like peanut satay sauce, I even make a pretty good African/Southern peanut stew, but I made it in haste the other day and there were still big glops of peanut butter in there that made me gag.

It's probably due to a traumatic childhood experience. In the fifth grade, my friend and I decided to be vegetarian for a week, and write an article about it for the school paper. This being 1983, my mother decided I would need huge quantities of nuts and dairy products to make up for the lack of meat. So, peanut butter sandwiches (I never got jelly, for some reason) and lukewarm milk was pretty much all I ate for a week. :angry:

Guess that explains it.

Chocolate chip mint ice cream. It just doesn't taste right! If I'm going to be really honest I just have to admit that I don't like Thai food. I've had Thai in several cities in several states(dragged by Thai-loving friends and husband) and it just has no appeal. No cohesiveness- it always turns out to be some crunchy undercooked veggies doused with tongue-burning sauces thrown in with some rice or noodles. *Hangs head in shame over confession*

Beer.

I'm not one to judge. But you're a freak.

Yea, but there are a lot of freaks around.

Which of course, makes each of them less freakish.

There are a decent amount of people who

A) don't like beer

B) are gastrointestinally unable to drink beer

I've met at least one from each category, but probably know more.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Goat cheese. Smells like a petting zoo.

Try fresh goats cheese, you you will be converted, silky, smooth and fresh.

Aged goats cheese, Blech :blink:

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Beets, nasty things, taste like dirt. Yuck!  Also, Ice Wine- I know I probably just don't have the palate for it but it tastes like wicked expensive white grape juice to me.  I just don't get it.  Funny thing is, people keep offering this very pricey stuff to me even afterI've told them my opinion of it.  Still, ok, I'll drink it, just don't understand the whole buzz about it.

Are you saying it's not just me?! If so, thank you!!!!! I've been so shunned............

Melissa

Krispy Kremes

Perhaps that's why their stock is down over 45% this year. The DOW must think they suck too.

Green Bell Peppers are the scurge of the earth and need to be eliminated. Chiles are cool, but green peppers overpower everything with its evil disregard for other's flavor.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Oh my god I think I will get kicked off egullet for even admitting this but I don't like bacon cheese burgers...

I am not a fan of a big melted cheese + meat sandwich..(with exception paninis, a cheeseburger sans bacon & the occasional cheesesteak)

..., Ruebens I find vile.

I don't think that you'll get kicked off, but being tied down and force fed one of man's great inventions is another matter.

I'm with you on Reubens. If there's anything more vile than "French dressing" it's "Russian dressing"

Another one that popped into my head is a venal sin for a boy from Pittsburgh, but I cannot abide sauerkraut. It's like eating greasy eel innards!

I do however adore kielbasa.

Edited by JPW (log)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

People don't really make a big deal out of this thing, but since it's summertime, I can't seem to escape it. Coleslaw... I don't care if you use the white sauce or the clear(ish) sauce, I ain't eatin' it.

I can't stomach cavier either. I think it's the texture and the fact that they kind of "pop" when you bite down into a bit of it. (Shudder)

I really hate celery and will gag if I unintentionally stumble upon it in a dish. In elementary school, when served ants on a log, I would eat the raisins and lick the peanut butter and throw away the celery.

I also do not like jicama. I know you're thinking, celery and jicama? I must have some kind of hang-up about crunchy vegetables. But I promise it's the taste. Can't stand either. Wait, is jicama a vegetable or something else? Time to Google!

OH THANK GOODNESS, I'm no longer alone, I HATE coleslaw. YUCKY! Keep it the hell away from my pulled pork, what are you, crazy? :angry:

and I don't get Krispy Kremes, either.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

It's like eating greasy eel innards!

Hey,Hey,HEY!!! You knockin' eel innards, mang? Dude, they are deeeeeLISH!!!

Never should a tomato be allowed near clam chowder.

ThankYouThankYouThankYou

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Are you saying it's not just me?! If so, thank you!!!!! I've been so shunned............

Except that the Canadians didn't originate it -- they just capitalized on it.

I believe it was a German invention -- hence the word eiswein.

BTW, I love it. :raz:

Me too! Also any kind of egg other than scrambled well with a bunch of other stuff. Pickles are only good for lights. Pickle Light "http://www.discoverchemistry.com/dcv2-docroot/student/fun_stuff/electric_pickle/"

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

those tiny hot dog-like things (the name is escaping me)...

vienna sausages??

hmmmmm

mushrooms...raw(ish) tuna...oaky chardonnay

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I must add canned tuna. I don't get it. To me, this stuff tastes awful no matter how you prepare it. OTOH, fresh tuna is sublime.

Flip

Agree except for imported Italian packed in Olive Oil. Makes the best tuna mouse this side of Sicily.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Tinned meats. My mother was a huge fan of Spam, as well as those tiny hot dog-like things (the name is escaping me)... the memory of that putrid scent wafting out of a freshly opened can makes my stomach tighten to this day.

We had a hurricane last year, and my husband tried to get me to eat dried beef. Disguisting.

ahhhhhhhhhh, the lovely VIENNA sausage!!

"look real nice...............wrapped up twice"