• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chess Pie

maggie Poppins

Morning,

I am turning to the wise, great and knowledgeable people of egullet for advice. A dear friend of mine, a transplanted Southerner, is a bit depressed and home sick. In an attempt to cheer her up, I wanted to make her favorite pie: Chess Pie.

I never have heard of such a pie, or at least not that I can remember, and don't know where to begin? And I don't want to ask my friend as I want it to be a surprise. I've checked the Recipe section and the forums and couldn't find a description or a recipe.

Would someone be able to explain this dessert, provide a recipe or point me in the direction of a fabulous recipe?

I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Maggie Poppins

I'm from the South and this is my grandmother's recipe for chess pie - very basic but very good.

9 inch pie crust

3 eggs

3/4 T white vinegar

1/2 c butter, melted

1 t vanilla

1 1/2 c sugar

pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 400. Prepare pie crust. Combine butter and sugar and simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool just a little, stirring constantly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla, salt, and vinegar, and mix well. Pour filling into pie shell and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake for 20 to 30 more minutes. Shake the pie gently; if the center just quivers slightly, it's done. Enjoy!

Welcome to eGullet Maggie. I have made many chess pies and it is a favorite in our house although I am from the Pacific Northwest.

One recipe that I can recommend is the one form Carole Walter's book called "Great Pies & Tarts". It may not be the most authentic but it is a good recipe and a place to start. The difference between this recipe and the one above is the addition of lemon zest, juice, and a small amount of cornmeal. The lemon adds flavor without making it a lemon pie. Carol calls it "Anne Semmes' Lemon Chess Pie"

To quote Carole

"A lot has been written about chess pies but there history is somewhat vague. Nobody seems to be sure how it got its name. It has been attributed to the British, since many settlers of the middle South came from England where similar cheese pies and custard pies were known. The pie may have been called 'chest' pie to indicate that it held up well when stored in the pie safe or chest, an old piece of furniture with perforated tin panels".

Well now you have your food history lesion for today. If you want the recipe email or PM me.

Edited by FWED (log)

Fred Rowe

Thank you Edith.

How would I incorporate flavors into the pie? Say chocolate? Would I use powdered cocoa or melted chocolate? Would I need to alter the other ingredients?

I add stuff to the basi recipe all of this time. Pecans and chocolate (either at the same time or separate) are particular favorites. Hazelnuts also so well in this pie. The recipe that I use is thus:

5 egg yolks

1 3/4 cups sugar

1 Tablespoon yellow corn meal

1 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour

1/2 cup melted butter

1 cup whole milk

2 teaspoons vanilla

9 inch pie crust

The directions are located in Recipe Gullet here.

Not that I want to start a big argument or anything, but I have always been under the impression that Chess Pie needs to contain corn meal or is is just custard. The meal gives it a nice texture and I reccomend it.

Edited to say that the amounts of meal and flour should be heaping tablespoons.

Good Luck

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

There are a milliion different chess pie recipes out there!

Some contain milk/buttermilk/cream/evaporated milk, and some contain none such.

I like mine milky, with 3/4 cup buttermilk to 3 eggs. And I wonder, at what point a chess pie becomes a buttermilk pie. My buttermilk pie recipe uses a higher ratio of buttermilk to eggs: 2 cups buttermilk to 4 eggs.

Some use whole eggs, and some use just yolks.

Some use vinegar, and some use lemon. Something sour to cut the sweet.

Old recipes use no vanilla extract, as that was not widely available, but newer recipes use vanilla extract and even other flavorings like almond.

Some Southerners say it's not a chess pie if it doesn't contain cornmeal.

But, then, the chocolate chess pies I have seen have not contained cornmeal.

Some say the name "chess" comes from its keeping well in a pie-chest, in the days before refrigeration. Some say it comes from its being "jus' pie." Other say it comes from "cheese pie" because it derives from the English cheese pie or at least, in its golden glory, looks like a cheese pie.

One thing's for sure: it's my favorite pie.

Edit: I'm from Tennessee, and mine has to have cornmeal.

Edited by browniebaker (log)

Here at the end of Lonely Street I have been inspired to make a chocolate/pecan chess pie (I am a southerner who uses cornmeal :wink: ) to serve as dessert after I eat my big ass, cheap shrimp that I got at the farmers market this morning (16-20's-3.50 USD a pound).

I bought 25 pounds for the first freezing frenzy of the summer shrimp season. They were caught just last night. I am heading them and freezing. I will make a bunch of shrimp stock with the heads. I am marinating a few of them in fresh shaved ginger, Steen's Cane Syrup, and strawberry vinegar. Skewer and quickly grill over a smoky, hot pecan wood fire. :laugh:

You know, I've had lemon chess and chocolate chess pies, but if your friend has voiced a craving for a chess pie, she is probably thinking of just a plain ol' (love the jes' pie quote) chess pie and you shouldn't try to doctor it up (no pun intended) for your (home)sick friend. :)

After an evening out with Meredith, my Southern friend, and her husband I found out more about her food loves.

It turns out her favorite chess pie is chocolate and not too milky. She was quite adament about a "plain crust, nothing fancy" and served semi-warm or cold or however she can get it.

I nodded and changed the subject to cheese :) I was disappointed about the crust though, i wanted to, with Fred's suggestion, make a toasted nut crust. Cie la vie.

So now I know what to aim for. Sunday will be the "surprise" as they are coming over for dinner.

I've planned a nice little feast to cheer her up: fried chicken, corn pudding, Varmit's fired okra (won't be using them as croutons) and the chess pie. Haven't decided on beverages yet.

Are there good wine pairings for chocolate chess pie? or should I be simple and have coffee or tea?

I appreciate all your help. Thank you all!!!

Are there good wine pairings for chocolate chess pie? or should I be simple and have coffee or tea?

If she's homesick then coffee and tea is probably your best bet, though a couple of fingers of good bourbon might work too... :smile:

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

It turned out just fine, thank you.

I would post a fabulous photo-but my wife absconded with the only working digital camera when she left town. I asked her about it and she responded with (use a very smart ass, accusatory tone when you read this-like a bad little sister :wink::laugh: ) "What do you want it for- Wanna post some pictures of FOOOOOD? Gonna show off your piiiiie? Well I've got it. Nyah, nyah, nyah-nanny nanny bo boo". It was very sad. I often feel for her, but can't show it as she hits me alot. I never deserve it.

And incidentally, I prefer a regular pie crust ( I like the patee brisee in Martha Stewarts Pies and Tarts subbing lard for 1/2 of the butter) and nothing fancy on top. I like it at room temp, incidentally. Whipped fresh heavy cream, if you can get it, is nice but not really needed. It can also be pretty swell (especially the choc/pecan one I made last night) warmed up and with a big scoop of vanilla melting on top.

You're in luck. This thread deals mostly with chess pie and offers some lively discussion and a few excellent recipes.

Oh, and Welcome® to eGullet.  :biggrin:

Second the welcome!

About that thread - I sure wish Aidan would post a follow-up and let us know if any of the recipes offered proved to be the one he sought. I've chased him up, I've chased him down, I've even chased him all over your bio thread, but he always stays a step ahead of me, and the suspense continues to kill me. (Same with Rich and the Chicken Marengo thread, but of course you know I would never go that far off topic....)