• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Babbo

gmi3804

Just got back from dinner tonight at Babbo. I went for the first time last May, and was very anxious to go back. We opted for the pasta tasting menu, and all three of us definitely were not disappointed in the least. Here's a quick run-down of what we had:

Black Tagliatelle with Parsnips and Pancetta

Mmm..pancetta :wub: What more need I say? Great start to a great meal.

"Casunzei" with Poppy Seeds

These were ravioli filled with roasted yellow beets, potato, and fresh ricotta cheese. Finished with butter, poppy seeds, fresh grated smoked ricotta salata and parsley. Very subtle flavor. The potato filling reminded me of pierogies.

Garganelli with "Funghi Trifolati"

Perfectly cooked pasta. Wonderfully earthy mushrooms (not sure what kind). Simple, but very tasty.

Marco's Pyramids with Passato di Pomodoro

Pyramid-shaped pasta stuffed with braised beef and finished with tomato sauce. Finished with freshly grated pecorino romano. We all thought this dish was among the best of the five pasta dishes.

Pappardelle Bolognese

Absolutely wonderful. The flavor of the ground pork and veal was great. Perfectly cooked pasta. I was anxious to have this dish, as I had made the exact same dish (from the Babbo cookbook) only a week ago. Turns out my home-made version compared quite well to the restaurant's version, although my homemade pasta pales in comparison to Babbo's in terms of its light texture. Oh well, practice, practice. :cool:

Mozzarella "Fatto in Casa" with Cara Cara Oranges and Da Vero

Another great combination of simple flavors, with the olive oil, cheese, and orange all combining beautifully. Loved every bite. The salt sprinkled on the dish heightened each of the individual flavors very well.

For dessert, saffron panna cotta was the dessert printed on the tasting menu, but to our surprise they brought out two other desserts for us to try as well, a different dessert for each of us, so we could all share and sample some different desserts.

Saffron Panna Cotta with Vanilla-Scented Mango and Mango Sorbetto

This is the dessert that is supposed to come with the pasta tasting menu. Wow. What can I say? It was unanimously the best dish of the night. And considering all of the wonderful pastas, that statement says a lot. Wonderful texture. The subtly flavored panna cotta paired perfectly with the finely diced mango and mango sorbet. We were fighting over the last few bites of this one. :raz:

Pistachio and Chocolate Semifreddo

This dessert was also quite good. My aunt does not like pistachio, so she only had a very small bite of this. (Good, more for me and my uncle :biggrin: ). Seriously, though, this was very tasty. Almost like an ice cream sandwich. I'm not a big fan of chocolate normally, but I thought the flavor complemented the pistachio gelato quite well. Yet another cleaned plate. :wink:

Almond Sbrisolona

Crumbly Almond Cake with Espresso Gelato and Amarene Cherries

This was decent, I guess. Definitely the most forgettable dish of the night. The cake was dry, but its flavor was pretty good. The cherries were good. And the espresso gelato was the only thing that got left on the plate, as espresso is a flavor which both my companions and I hate for whatever reason. Oh well. Hard to complain when everything else was so good. And I definitely appreciate them allowing us to try this dish and the other dessert which were not on the tasting menu.

Overall, great meal, great company. I was treated to a meal at my favorite restaurant with some of my favorite people. What more can you ask for? :wub:

Edited by tupac17616 (log)

Tupac, did you have wine with the meal? I'm thinking of possibly going for a pasta tasting menu myself, but I noticed that the wine pairings raise the price of that menu by $45, so I'm thinking it might be a better value to share a bottle of wine with a friend or even just get a wine or two by the glass. Actually, I've never had wine pairings with any meal in my life (no, the dessert menu at Chikalicious doesn't count). But I think I also have had only one tasting menu in my life so far (at the Li Family Restaurant in Beijing). Is there anyone who thinks that even someone who's a bit paranoid about spending over $100 per person for a meal really will have such an awe-inspiring experience by ordering the wine pairings that it would be worth $90 (plus what that adds to the tax and tip) for two?

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Tupac, did you have wine with the meal?

We chose not to do the wine pairings. I do not drink at all. I simply don't like the taste of alcohol (and I'm 20 years old, so it's technically illegal anyway :biggrin: ). Actually, I never drink anything besides water. Ever. Not to mention I have no problems going through a multi-course meal on just one or two glasses of water. Yes, I am weird, but that is beside the point. :smile: While my uncle does enjoy wine, he was not in the mood for it tonight. And I am pretty sure my aunt does not drink either.

Wish I could help you out a little in figuring out the best-value wine option for Babbo. But I'm sure some of the other friendly eGullet-ers will chime in soon. I can tell you one thing, though. At $59, the food cost of the tasting menu is a great value in my opinion. And I definitely share your paranoia about the $100 per person thing. That is one threshold I have yet to pass in my dining adventures so far.

My wife and I had the same pasta tasting menu this past weekend during a short trip to NY. This has become a regular stop for us on our occasional visits and this menu was possibly the best of the three times we've been.

The pastas were, for the most part, well thought out (I didn't love the beet and poppy seed dish) and the desserts and especially the cheese course described above were better than in the past. I've always thought they were the weak link in the meal, but not this time. The cheese course was by far the best bites of food I had all weekend. So simple - four very different ingredients on a plate - but the other three complemented the soft, almost runny mozzarella nearly perfectly.

I've done the wine pairing each time I've been. I'm not a wine expert by any means, but I really enjoy wines paired with tasting menus like this. Value wise, I'm not sure you are getting the most ounces for the buck, although I'm not sure it is less a value than pairings I've had elsewhere. You are paying something extra for the extra attention from the wine staff and the extra stemware, etc that you are using. But I like having wines that work with each of the dishes and the opportunity to drink new-to-me wines.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

The thing about the Babbo wine pairing, is that they've really perfectly paired the wines to each course of the tasting menu. I've never had a meal like that, where I could really tell very clearly how the food accented the wine and vice versa.

If you can, I would highly reccommend the wine pairing with the pasta tasting menu. They also offer a vintage wine tasting, which is a little more. Our waiter told us that if you care about food/wine pairing, get the regular wines. If just the wine is most important, then get the vintage.

I'm going to Babbo on Monday, but we're not getting the tasting menu this time.

Had dinner at Babbo on Monday night. This is my second time to Babbo, the first time I had the pasta tasting menu. Ahead of time, we decided not to get the tasting menu, to share our dishes, and that a majority of the party was not into offal ... which dictated a lot of what we ordered.

The first time I was at Babbo we were upstairs, this time we were downstairs. Really, it felt like a very different experience. Upstairs it is much more spacious, lighter, and quieter. As mentioned in previous posts, downstairs the music is quite loud and there is also significant noise from the bar. Throughout the night we heard the beatles and the grateful dead playing ...

It all depends on what kind-of experience you are looking for ... For me, I will be requesting to sit downstairs for all of my future visits. It was much more fun ... and I like the decor a little better.

For antipasti, we had steamed cockles with steamed chili and basil and Prosciutto San Daniele "Riserva" which I believe was served with a cranberry compote. The prosciutto was very nice but the highlight was the cockles, they were very tender and the chili accented them nicely.

For Primi we had: Garganelli with Funghi Trifolati, Beef Cheek Ravioli

with Crushed Squab Liver and Black Truffles, Black Spaghetti with Rock Shrimp, Chorizo and Green Chili, and a special which was a thicker pasta with peas and prociutto.

I loved all of the pasta dishes, I thought the Beef Cheek was the most interesting and complex of flavors, I thought the simplicity of the garganelli and mushrooms was also great. I must say that everyone at the table had a different favorite pasta dish.

For secondi, we Osso Bucco with Bone marrow and Cavolo Nero (split into 3 portions, on the menu it says enough for 2 people) and the grilled quail. The quail was cooked perfectly .. The osso bucco tasted fine, although I didn't feel there was anything spectacular about it ... My favorite part of the dish was the bone marrow (i've never had bone marrow before) and the cavolo nero (black kale?) which really was spiced perfectly .. it may have had some chili in it. We also ordered the side of brussel sprouts which were amazing. Also, one of the dishes had what I believe was caramelized fennel which was also great.

I really appreciated how well all of the vegetables were cooked, and not just an afterthought.

For desserts we had the assortment of gelato and sorbets and the tuscan donuts.

We also ordered two bottles of wine, but I don't remember what we ordered. Also, the drink special was a prickly pear bellini which was great.

The service was great, waiters were very friendly, actually told us to order less because he thought we were ordering too much food. The sommelier helped us with our wine selection ...

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I had dinner at Babbo for the first time on Wednesday. Based on earlier posts, we had the pasta tasting menu with the wine pairings. It was enjoyable as well as educational for me to taste what good pairings should be like. We were there early and seated upstairs, which was nice. Certainly light and airy, but it got quite loud and more dark and intimate and the evening went on. The only change we had compaired to earlier posts of the pasta menu was a dessert variety. In addition to the panna cotta mentioned, we also recieved a pineapple crostada. Since it wasn't on the menu sheet provided, I can't remember more details, but it was fantastic! We also started our evening with the seasonal bellini, which was made with prickly pear juice. That was also fantastic. Overall, a wonderful and unrushed time. Definitely the nicest food and overall experience I have ever had. Time to start saving for another trip!

dahlsk

I'm not sure about walk in... but call the day of or day before and there are usually both an early and a late cancellation.

I called the day of, 5 hours before I came and got a spot on a saturday, I'm sure it happens all the time. Also, smaller tables are easier to get. mostly likely anything above a two will be a lot harder.

Walking in might be a little bit harder to come by. I've only heard it happen once.

Edited by tetsujustin (log)

I've been jonesin for a while now and might try to sneak in early tomorrow. I figure if I get there a little before 5 pm, My girlfriend and I will get a seat at the bar. Both times we've eaten here we had early reservations and ate in the dining room, the 1st time upstairs and the 2nd downstairs. Ready for the pasta tasting menu and might sneak over to Irving Plaza to catch Erasure.

God, I'm getting old.

Who would've thought that the only seating Babbo has left on Mother's Day is at 10:15. I want to go with my girlfriend, as a party of two. Do you think it's worth going that late if I just grab an evening snack at Whole Foods? Or should I wait until the following day and try to make an earlier reservation?

Dinner at Babbo last Saturday was one of the highlights of our trip to New York.

To get reservations, my wife started redialing as soon as they took reservations, and we ended up eating at 9:00.

We were seated on time at a side table on the main floor.

Both our primary waiter and the sommelier were fantastic. The sommelier was especially insightful. I said my favorite Italian wines were those of La Spineta, and he came up with several fabulous and reasonable recommendations in the spirit of that winery. We ended up with a lovely one from Marche. Dry and full bodied. Just fantastic. Sadly, as always, the names of Italian ones go in one ear and out the other.

The music was, I suppose a bit loud. Classic rock from the 70s, mostly. Wouldn't be my pick; but, it was lively, and beats the heck out of Enja.

Since it was late, we opted to order a la carte. Sorry, I can't remember everything that came to our table.

The highlights of the antipasti were the lamb tongue I ordered and an octopus dish one of our friends got. Honestly, I've always been a bit shy about octopus, since it is tough so much of the time. It was just wonderful.

For primi, my wife and I split a pasta dish with nettles, peas, and pancetta. Well, when I say split, I was occasionally lucky to pry a taste or two from her.

For a main, we got the whole grilled branzino. What a perfect grilled fish! And the lemon/oregano jam served with it is so delicious, it could be featured on its own.

For dessert, I got the Chocolate Hazelnut cake; but, the favorite at the table was the saffron panna cotta.

We also had an unusual dessert wine from Lipari made with the Malvasia grape. I'd had Malvasias from Bonny Doon, so I thought it would be flowery. Strangely, it smelled lovely and flowery like the Malvasias I'd had before; but, tasted of chocolate and pistachios. Odd and tasty.

As an aside, we arrived a bit early for our reservation, and had a drink at the bar. While we were standing there, we noticed a short swarthy man pass by with a large group. I said to my wife, "Isn't that Emeril LaGasse?" Indeed it was. In any case, for a man who continually pooh-poohs "frou frou" food, he seemed to be having a wonderful time being personally served by Mario Batali. We were seated next to their table, and my favorite overheard comment from the waiter was, "For the next course, the Chef will be taking it down a notch."

:laugh:

Erik

edited for usage

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

We ended up with a lovely one from Marche.  Dry and full bodied.  Just fantastic.  Sadly, as always, the names of Italian ones go in one ear and out the other.

Found the receipt for Saturday night's debauch at Babbo.

The truly fantastic Red was a Rosso Conero 'Adeodato' from Monte Schiavo in Marche. Certainly hope I have a chance to have this one again.

Also, I have to correct, the favorite dessert was not the Panna Cotta; but, the Pistachio and Chocolate Semifreddo.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I just ate there on Friday night (amazing, mind-blowing, ethereal pasta, yum yum yum! and a sommelier who served us 3 different wines, all fantastic, unique, and none over $60!) and I am curious about the amuse. It was a dish of chickpeas, nice and warmed, tossed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, green garlic, black olives and an herb which I am desperate to identify so I can try to make this at home. At first I thought mint, then basil since it was more peppery than sweet but I kept detecting anise, so my final guess is tarragon. There was very little in there and it was hard to isolate to taste alone. Anybody know what it was, or care to offer an informed guess?

It was a dish of chickpeas, nice and warmed, tossed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, green garlic, black olives and an herb which I am desperate to identify so I can try to make this at home.

I think the recipe is in the Babbo cookbook.

It was a dish of chickpeas, nice and warmed, tossed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, green garlic, black olives and an herb which I am desperate to identify so I can try to make this at home.

It is, it's listed as 'ceci bruschetta'. I've made it at home with great success. I would post the recipe for you, but I'm not sure if that would be a copyright infringment.

I'm going on Sunday with my parents for my step-dad's birthday. He is a pretty conservative eater, but isn't against trying things... so, do you think the pasta tasting menu would be 'safe' enough? I have never been to Babbo, but I would love to try the pasta tasting because I have heard such raves...

PS- he doesn't drink either, so no pairings...

:unsure:

It is, it's listed as 'ceci bruschetta'. I've made it at home with great success. I would post the recipe for you, but I'm not sure if that would be a copyright infringment.

You can post the ingredient list and paraphrase the directions.

Michael aka "Pan"

In that case, the recipe calls for

cooked garbanzos

evoo

black olive paste

balsamic

red pepper flakes

fresh rosemary

shredded basil leaves

garlic

kosher salt

pepper

Mix all the ingrediants, grill some slices of Italian peasant bread, and top the bread with the mixture.

I'm going on Sunday with my parents for my step-dad's birthday. He is a pretty conservative eater, but isn't against trying things... so, do you think the pasta tasting menu would be 'safe' enough? I have never been to Babbo, but I would love to try the pasta tasting because I have heard such raves...

PS- he doesn't drink either, so no pairings...

:unsure:

He should be OK. It seems like they restrain from using offal in the Pasta tasting menu. It's not like spaghetti and meatballs, fettucini alfredo, etc. But there's been nothing too crazy in the three times I've had it.

And if there is something he really doesn't like, you can always ask to see if you can get a substitution. Worst they could do is say no and you could make your own tasting menu by ordering a la carte.

Bill Russell

I second that. The pasta tasting we just did (and likely what you'll have) had no offal in it. Some beef shoulder, some lamb in the bolognese, some mushrooms, some ravioli with asparagus and scallions, and then one with peas and parm (though it was a squid ink pasta, if that would freak him out). I think the pasta tasting menu is exceptional and currently not very scary.