• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MD Wegmans

I found an interesting article concerning the possibility of a Wegmans on the Maryland side of the vast reaches of DC-Metro suburbia. Apparently, the Montgomery Co government, citing excessive sprawl, is making it harder for Wegmans to open stores there. I know the company has been trying for quite some time to get a store on this side of the Potomac ... and I guess no one gets too excited anymore about ever more WalMarts, but I think Wegmans is quite different from WalMart. Wegmans does draw a whole lot of traffic, but Ive been to many Costcos and there are always tons of cars around that place too. *sigh* maybe someday....

Anyway, just FYI:

Gazette Article

Montgomery County government is a paradox. They shun new development of almost any sort. They shoot down the proposal of new commercial and residential developments, citing the negative effects sprawl, yet they refuse to make any capital improvements to ease the awful congestion that already exists.

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

I must encourage all to Montgomery County residents to oppose the bill currently before the county council by contacting your council member.

It is, interestingly enough, primarily sponsored by both Giant and Local 400 of the SEIU, which is effectively the local chapter that covers Giant's Montgomery County workers.

I'll be back when I have more time with contact addresses and numbers for council members.

Our beloved County Commissioner (wannabe Governor) Doug Duncan is supporting the bill.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I must encourage all to Montgomery County residents to oppose the bill currently before the county council by contacting your council member.

It is, interestingly enough, primarily sponsored by both Giant and Local 400 of the SEIU, which is effectively the local chapter that covers Giant's Montgomery County workers.

I'll be back when I have more time with contact addresses and numbers for council members.

Our beloved County Commissioner (wannabe Governor) Doug Duncan is supporting the bill.

You do the work, I'll pass along the names and numbers to as many folk as I can find!

I have emailed the County Exec of my dislike in tarring Wegmans with the same brush as Walmart. I've also messaged my elected Council member Phil Andrews on the same subject. What I keep missing is where in hell is the public on this and of course MUCH more important matters in MONTCO??

I think we need to start teaching good old CIVICS in school again, maybe then the great unwashed will learn to stand up and holler.

Sorry about this harangue, but there was the keyboard, and I could't stop.

Sorry about this harangue, but there was the keyboard, and I could't stop.

:shock:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

From the Gazette article:

"Duncan wants big-box grocers to obtain a special exception to zoning laws to build here. Any store with more than 10 percent groceries and 120,000 square feet would have to jump through the new hoop..."

Call me nuts, but why doesn't Wegmans just cut this location down to 119,000 sf and bypass this b.s.?!? :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I will admit that MONTCO beverage alcohol regulations are just a BIT OLD FASHIONED, but irrespective of that ANY intelligent retailer can get ANYTHING, yes, thru the DLC (Dept of Liquor Control).

I would LOVE to see free enterprise in MONTCO, but it requires a vote by the State legislature, and none of them give a hoot. The other part of that story is that the County Council LOVES the ('prox) #16 million that DLC throws into the general fund......where would they find such an easy cash cow??

SOOOOOOOOOOOO, TO ANSWER THE question of why Wegmans would bother, I respect them as intelligent marketers who know that they could do biz here.

Ted Task

Well, anyway, Wegmans is based in NYS and they can't sell any alcohol but beer there. Only liquor stores can sell wine and spirits. In PA, where Wegmans opened its first out-of-state stores, there exist even tougher restrictions. Selling wine and spirits at Wegmans was new to them when they first opened in NJ a few years ago. Their biggest-volume stores (besides Dulles, now) are in NY and they have no problems making lotsa profits there without wine and spirit sales (and prices for things in general are lower upstate to boot).