• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Dim Sum in Boston

orenlund

Oren,

I did a little digging and found the China Pearl in Boston's Chinatown.

Never been but epinion reviews seem favorable. Let us know how it turns out.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

My favorite is Chau Chow City,

83 Essex St. 617/338-8158 ...

3 floors of glitzy Hong Kong Style noise and bustle, served from carts....make sure you don't ened up on the mezzanine level, it's kind of Siberia...

They do amazingly creative things with dumpling wrappers, always something new, green skins filled with mushrooms and chives, har gow filled with scallpos, and, ask for the lobster dumplings; my favorite...

On the third floor, there's a steam table where you can seek out tripe, snails and various shellfish....Seafood choices here are more varied than any other places in Chinatown, altho pork rules :wink:

Also, the best congee(jook) in town...The dried fish and peanut is my favorite anywhere.

Second choice is Pacific Garden, on the corner of Beach and Harrison, downstairs...There, you order off a menu, so things are always fresh, but the choices are much more limited, and since the place is very small, the wait can be a problem....Hmm, not tha it isn't at Chau Chow, but that's part of the event, right? :biggrin:

Haven't tried Chau Chow City -- sounds great. We go to China Pearl frequently, and it's fantastic. If you go on a Sunday, either get their before 11 or be prepared for a wait.

Edited by newsbabe (log)

I'll vouch for Chau Chow City as being excellent. However, I realize that individual pallettes for Asian cuisine are hinged greatly upon where you were raised. To counter that, I'll add that I grew up on the North Shore of Massachusetts.

From what I've heard, Chau Chow City is as authentic as you can get, this side of the Pacific.

I ate there ~ 4 years ago, when I was fairly oblivious to food appreciation - but I knew it tasted great! I had never had crab rangoons before, but they were recommended by a friend, and I wasn't disappointed. Crispy outsides and creamy insides with a light crab flavor.

I need to go back there! :D

Edited by Enzian (log)

Orenlund, there are others, that I wouldn't quite recommend....

Emporer's Garden, shilled long and loud by Eddie Andeleman on the Phantom Gourmet, is large, but, I have heard, fairly dirty, and again, slanted toward more American tastes..However, it has it's fans, and is also large and flashy..

New Jing Lei (I think that's the name) has very thin dumpling skins, but little variety, and is usually dead...A new place, unnamed in English, opened recently, but it's a joint venture between China Pearl, and Imperial Seafood(IS is horrible, couldn't finish my food there...).......

New Lei Jing was so dead that it has closed recently.

I'll second (third, fourth)?? the Chau Chau City recommendation. For the best experience, insist on the 3rd floor..even if they say there's a long wait...they just want to fill the lower floors..I try to get there by 11 AM.

Pacific Garden is also excellent; but order off the menu..not a "traditional dim sum" cart experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Right across from China Pearl is another Dim Sum place called Peach Farm which is really good as well, and I think slightly less expensive.

Searching on Boston.com's food and dining section for places in Chinatown can give you some more ideas.

Right across from China Pearl is another Dim Sum place called Peach Farm which is really good as well, and I think slightly less expensive.

Searching on Boston.com's food and dining section for places in Chinatown can give you some more ideas.

Peach Farm is my favorite restaurant for all Kinds of Hong Kong style seafood, but they do not serve dim sum....