• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Afghan Food in Morristown

Rail Paul

Morristown has many gems (Nagano, Sirin, Settebello etc) but Pamir is unusual and very interesting. On Thursdays the restaurant offers a lunch buffet of specialties with lamb, rice, something like a cous-cous, lentil soup, etc. Forks are available.

Located on Washington Street, in a storefront just west of the court house. It's been there for a million years.

85 Washington St  Morristown, NJ (973) 605-1095  

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Because of the public backlash against Afghans, I'm thinking that Afghan restaurants aren't seeing good business now.  Never mind that its just as possible that they are supporters of the "other" regime in Afghanistan, it's still probably happening.

Then again, since the U.S. has supported BOTH sides at different points in history for very different reasons, American-Afghans are probably trying hard to decide what to feel now.  I know that's true enough of those of us who aren't Afghan.  My head hurts just thinking about it.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 2 weeks later...

Made it to Pamir today. Buffet is ů.95, Thursday only.

Puff pastry with beef and chickpeas, eggplant stewed in a very tangy tomato+lemon broth, tandoori style chicken, a tomato vermicelli soup, chopped tomatoes and cucumber and cilantro salad, chicken in a (tasted like) wine broth with sprigs of cilantro, and a sweet potato / apricot item. Very tasty, with beverage, came to ฤ for 2 people plus tip.

Flag in the window, business is slow. There were two large group tables (15-20 people) and perhaps six more at other tables.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I enjoyed the cilantro chicken and the tandoori chicken and the puff pastry. The tomato pepper cucumber was a nice interlude. Coulda lived without the eggplant stuff, chick peas weren't bad for something that's so healthful

The chef and a suburban matron were discussing a catered event, about which I eavesdropped. Pretty interesting. He'd offer this, she would suggest that. She wanted food which could be taken by the fingers, he;d suggest something else. No fish, though. Not surprising given there's no water in the country...

rancho gordo

• 3 weeks later...

My wife likes Pamir. The aushak (look like ravioli) is excellent. I have also had fish with pomegranate sauce. The pumpkin (served as a side vegetable dish) is good too. 2 orders of appetizer and 3 main dishes will do for four people sharing. Bring your own beer and the dinner is quite affordable.

• 5 weeks later...

We've been to Pamir, the Afghan place in Morristown, a number of times.  Always very very good.  The Daily Record did a story on the place about 2-3 weeks ago, actually, it appears their business has been on the increase since Sept 11.  One story was that the Morristown mayor called the owner about 2 weeks after Sept 11, asking how business was.  The owner said a little slow.  The mayor said I need a reservation for 30 people.  We went 3 weeks after Sept 11, and the place was packed.  I know it sounds silly, and it probably doesn't mean anything, but I felt really good about this country that evening.  By the way, this is my first post.  Glad to be here.

Glad to have you aboard!

Pamir has been very attentive in the buffet to have somebody keeping an eye on it, explaining what's in each item, etc. In an unfamiliar cuisine, that's very helpful.  Buffet runs Thursday lunch

rancho gordo

Nice write up on Pamir and other Middle Eastern restaurants in the NJ section of the Times on Sunday. Mr Corcoran reviewed the various offerings at Pamir, liked most of them.

Other places covered were Evelyn's in New Brunswick, Bennie's in Englewood (by Fat-Guy himself), Kervan in Cliffside Park, Norma's Mediterranean in Cherry Hill, and Authentic Turkish in Voorhees.

rancho gordo