• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taking first trip to Charlotte

Artichoke

Charlotte has been lacking a top flight local java joint since David Brinkley's son/son-in-law (?) left town a few years ago.

Jackson's Java is pretty good but can be inconsistent. The University City Blvd location is convenient for me at the moment because the GF lives way out there in the 'burbs and it's less than a ten minute drive from her place. She's willing to sell the house and move once I get there but I'll poll some of you by PM rather than get OT with real estate/locations/neighborhood culture in this forum.

Not trying to be snooty but just stating a fact: serious espresso places in the US use La Marzocco machines with no exceptions. There is a now a contender on the market but until the new machine gets out there and proves itself.... only the LM's have the temperature stability needed for consistent results (but you still need good fresh beans and a competent barista but I digress). Java Passage will be the first and thus far the only place in Charlotte (at least that I'm aware of) who is using the La Marzocco machines.

I've noticed that in addition to and perhaps integrally related to this is the desire among much of the local community to keep raising the bar culturally, especially in relation to food. I also notice that they've gotten more than just people from NY - spotted a condo for sale in uptown - 3 BR and 3 baths for 1.2 million $ - that's getting up into NYC prices!