• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggless Mayonnaise

Monica Bhide

My dad called and wants a recipe for eggless mayo -- I am not sure how to make it. I found some stuff on google with soy milk.. does not look appetizing at all. He can use regular milk if needed .. just does not want to use eggs.... any suggestions..

Also if this has already been covered here somewhere please just send me the link.. I tried a search but could not find anything

thanks

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Only "eggless" mayo I've ever encountered or made is not really eggless, it's only yolk-less - the idea being that using whites only will make a less rich mayo for those watching their cholesterol. You make it like any other mayo but with two whites in place of each whole egg. It's quite good, but won't be any help to your father if he's looking for something truly eggless. (I seem to have heard that one can also use the commercial egg substitutes, but IIRC those are also egg-whites with coloring thrown in to make them look yellow, so that isn't much help either.)

One box silken tofu (the aseptic kind, e.g. Mori-Nu), lightly mashed

2 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped

1/2 (heaping) tsp salt

About 2 tsps prepared horseradish OR dry, hot mustard

2 tablespoons lemon juice or your choice of vinegar

(Optional: a dash of turmeric, for colour)

One blender

Place all ingredients in the blender, and process, scraping down occasionally, until completely smooth. Keeps well in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed GLASS jar for at least a week; makes approximately 1 - 1.5 cups (sometimes it whips up fluffier than others). Yes, it really is good. If you like sweet mayonnaise, you can sweeten it to taste with additions of choice.

This recipe has evolved from Mollie Katzen's Horseradish Aioli. I make a batch of it pretty much every week.

In Japan, eggless mayo is called tofu mayonnaise because tofu is used instead of eggs. The recipe I found (which is also oil-less) is quite similar to the one posted by CompassRose.

Here's another recipe, which uses oil:

Ingredients:

300g tofu (one pack)

80 to 100 cc vinegar

Juice from 1/2 lemon

1/2 tbsp whole-grain mustard or mustard

1/2 tbsp salt

Pepper

150 cc oil

How to make:

Mix all ingredients well.

I agree: tofu mayo.

Tastes nothing like real fresh eggy mayo but is quite nice.

Why no eggs, Monica?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Both versions above work well but if your Dad finds the taste slightly alien you might want to replace some quantity of the tofu with drained\thick yogurt. I use a ratio of roughly 40/60 silken Mori-Nu and Yogurt.

I suspect he's hankering for cole slaw. :rolleyes:

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

you might want to replace some quantity of the tofu with drained\thick yogurt. I use a ratio of roughly 40/60 silken Mori-Nu and Yogurt.

That's a good idea.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I find with the quantity of garlic that I can't taste the tofu flavour. But perhaps I am simply rubberized of palate.

I forgot -- I sometimes sprinkle in a teeny dash of powdered fenugreek, which lends a certain egglike aroma.

If it's RAW eggs he's trying to avoid, I have a recipe for Russian Mayonnaise which is hard cooked egg yolks and sour cream, with seasonings and a little olive oil. It's wonderful on the Russian Zakoosa salad, Salad Olivier, which is a potato salad with chicken.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

On a totally different tack, I recall a few years ago there was a thread on Chowhound describing a restaurant in Spain that served an incredible garlic "mayonnaise" made solely from olive oil, garlic and salt. The idea was, if I remember right, that you whisk them together using an awful lot of elbow grease and you get something that looks more than mayonnaise than you would perhaps expect. The posters agreed it was very good, compared it to Middle Eastern garlic sauces, and posted a recipe if I remember right. The thread was called 'the House of Garlic Mayonnaise', but neither CH's search engine or Google seem to be able to dig it up.

At a friend's house for the weekend, I watched her mash up bunches of garlic and beat forever a mix of olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and a bit of bread in an attempt to make a Spanish eggless mayonnaise for our shrimp - thin mixture, even after much hand beating and then blenderizing. It may have simply been the particular proportions - but she'll be using eggs from now on

If it's RAW eggs he's trying to avoid, I have a recipe for Russian Mayonnaise which is hard cooked egg yolks and sour cream, with seasonings and a little olive oil. It's wonderful on the Russian Zakoosa salad, Salad Olivier, which is a potato salad with chicken.

You are correct Ruth. He is trying to avoid raw eggs for various reasons. -- can you share your recipe please?

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Zakooskas are Russian appetizers, usually served as an assortment on a "zakooska table" similar to Greek mezes or Spanish tapas. The items included may be caviar, fish, meats, pickled vegetables, salads, and even hot dishes and small pastries. Salad Olivier was created by )and named for) the French chef of Tsar Nicholas II. It is the most renowned of the zakooska salads.

The recipe comes from "The Best of Russian Cooking" by Alexandra Kropotkin. This 1947 cookbook has gone through several re-writes and is presently available new for under $11 from Amazon. I recommend it highly as there are some exceptional recipes.

I'll be happy to send a copy of the recipe to anyone who requests it. Just e-mail me at ruth@ruthcooks.com and let me know if you want the attachment (nicer format) or would prefer the recipe in the body of the e-mail. I find I don't always get notice of my PM's.

Monica, yours is on its way by e-mail.

Edited by ruthcooks (log)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali