• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buddakan

Richie111

The GF and I are heading down to Philly this weekend to once and for all end our ongoing debate about the best cheese steaks in Philly. We will be hitting Jim's, Geno's, and Pat's all on this Saturday.

Although I highly doubt it will come even close to the fine dining establishments mentioned above, we have dinner reservations at Buddakan on Friday night. I have searched this Penn forum and only found some mentions of Buddakan without any specifics. Can anyone offer suggestions on some dishes we must try there? The GF has a very delicate palette while I will eat anything I can fit in my mouth. :raz:

I will be posting a full report of our trip when we get back.

The GF and I are heading down to Philly this weekend to once and for all end our ongoing debate about the best cheese steaks in Philly.  We will be hitting Jim's, Geno's, and Pat's all on this Saturday. 

If you're interested in the best steaks (as opposed to the most historically important ones), skip those three and instead hit Tony Luke's, Steve's Prince of Steaks, and maybe Dalessandro's. Just a FYI, and opinions may vary (though mine is, of course, the absolute truth).

As to Buddakan: I've been once, and was underwhelmed. In my opinion, while the decor is striking, the food is only so-so, and ditto the service. It's also pretty expensive: unless you're dead set on it, I'd go somewhere else. If you want to stay within the Starr organization, you'd probably be better off at Tangerine or Striped Bass (caveat: I haven't been to SB. It may also be more expensive than Buddakan).

Here are my thoughts on Buddakan, from Feb 2002.

I feel compelled to echo Andy when it comes to cheesesteaks. Tony, Tony, Tony Lukes!!!!!!! Part of the real appreciation is in how you eat it. Stance is feet spread apart, bend forward at the waist and chomp! Just pray that it doesn't run down your forearms; fingers are easy but the elbows are so hard to lick clean. Bring a friend to help....

I gotta admit, in the Philly Hundred Years War,

I don't really care about the best cheesesteak.

Anyone who wants to use that as something to taunt my lack of credibility as a

Philadelphian can bite me, after we talk about the relevance of Bobby Jones and Marc Iavaroni to the '83 Sixers.

I've been to Pat's, Jim's, D'Alessandro's, that place right down Frankford from Grey Lodge, and a few sidewalk carts.

Assuming you're trying to stay within the general central Philadelphia area,

Pat's, Jim's and and Geno's are a good start.

Of the other ones (all of which pretty much require cars, or at least a cab),

Tony Luke's would be a reasonable place to check out.

Since you're coming down from someplace north, if you're driving, Steve's is a place you could pop in at on your way down or back.

Now on to non-cheesesteak dining.

Buddakan I could care less about. It's a big "celeb" place, and probably not worth the scene. If you do go, report back on the black cod.

If you're in NYC, don't bother. Wait a few months until Buddakan NYC opens. It'll be damm near exactly the same.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

OK. Well I spoke with my friend in Philly and, at this point, we've changed the schedule to include Tony Luke's. He said Dalessandro's was in "Northeast Philly"? and he hadn't heard of Steve's but said it was probably up there as well. So at this point our Saturday looks like it will be: Geno's and Pat's for breakfast, Luke's for lunch, and Jim's for dinner and for the road before we get back on the train. I hope Tony Luke's uses plenty of cheese whiz.

As for Buddakan, my Philly friend is really excited to go there and I just didn't have the heart to give him your not-so-great reviews. He is our host, and set up the reservation, so I think we'll just make the most of our evening there. I am in NYC but I guess I just won't have to go when it opens here. I made a note of the black cod.

D'Allessandro's is in northwest philly--Roxborough to be exact.

Geno's and Pat's for breakfast, Luke's for lunch, and Jim's for dinner and for the road before we get back on the train. I hope Tony Luke's uses plenty of cheese whiz.

Good god, man. I admire your dedication, but I hope you bring some pepto for all that guzzling.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

OK. Well I spoke with my friend in Philly and, at this point, we've changed the schedule to include Tony Luke's. He said Dalessandro's was in "Northeast Philly"? and he hadn't heard of Steve's but said it was probably up there as well. So at this point our Saturday looks like it will be: Geno's and Pat's for breakfast, Luke's for lunch, and Jim's for dinner and for the road before we get back on the train. I hope Tony Luke's uses plenty of cheese whiz.

Well, Steve's is actually in NE Philly, at two locations, while Dallessandro's is in Roxborough, which is NW Philly for sake of argument. You'll do fine with your choices, but if your friend hasn't heard of Steve's, one of the very best cheesesteaks in twon, I might not trust his judgement on other Philly specialties.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

If you're going to Tony Luke's already, I highly recommend at least one of you getting a Roast Pork, Broccoli Rabe and Provolone sandwich. It isn't touted as the "national dish" of Philadelphia the way the cheesesteak is, but IMHO is even better.

Buddakhan is loud, the service is mediocre and so is the food. Absolutely every dish has a sugary sauce on it. Blech. Unless your host is picking up the tab as well, try and convince him to go elsewhere. If you simply must do a Starr eatery, go to Tangerine - at least the food is half decent there.

There are at least a dozen BYOBs and half of Chinatown that I'd recommend ahead of Buddkhan.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Well, Steve's is actually in NE Philly, at two locations,

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Well, Steve's is actually in NE Philly, at two locations,

Where are Steve's two locations? I've only been to one (I think on Bustleton, near a Circuit City). And I agree, it's way better than the places that get all the tourist hype.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

If you're going to Tony Luke's already, I highly recommend at least one of you getting a Roast Pork, Broccoli Rabe and Provolone sandwich. It isn't touted as the "national dish" of Philadelphia the way the cheesesteak is, but IMHO is even better.

It is by people who live here.

Here's the plan. Skip Buddakan and use the money saved to take a limo to Steve's Prince of Steaks.

If you won't buy into that, hit Geno's or Campo's (200 block of Market Street) for a wiz with (Cheesesteak, onions and CheezeWhiz) and then to Tony Luke's or, the place I prefer by the smallest of smidgens, D'Nics, in the Reading Terminal Market for Roast Pork.

But if you want some history and a side of South Philly 'tude with your cheesesteak, it's gotta be Pat's.

Getting back to my limo/blowing off Buddakan strategy, give the driver his head and spend the day comparing and contrasting cheesesteaks and pork sandwiches.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Delesandro's is on Henry Ave. and worth the trip the next time you come down. Now I need one and I won't be in Philly until Sunday. :angry: Chubbies will have to do.

I went to Budakahn a couple of years ago with my family. When you see the high stools at the communal table, try to imagine my 85 year old grandmother getting onto one of those stools. My cousin-the-lawyer took us there and was thrilled to finally be there on a Saturday night.

The food was fine, but not worth the money or hoopla. It's the kind of place that people who think they know food will love. The rest of us know better. I do remember the drinks being better than we expected though. Everyone (including Grandma) ordered one of their specialty drinks. We were more impressed witht he drinks than we were with the food. But that's not saying much. About the food or my family.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I second this.

The last time I was able to drive back home to Philly I stopped at Tony Luke's and was struck by the number of people in line ordering the pork and greens as opposed to a cheesesteak. The cheesesteaks are pretty good but the pork is that much better.

Here's the plan. Skip Buddakan and use the money saved to take a limo to Steve's Prince of Steaks.

If you won't buy into that, hit Geno's or Campo's (200 block of Market Street) for a wiz with (Cheesesteak, onions and CheezeWhiz) and then to Tony Luke's or, the place I prefer by the smallest of smidgens, D'Nics, in the Reading Terminal Market for Roast Pork.

But if you want some history and a side of South Philly 'tude with your cheesesteak, it's gotta be Pat's.

Getting back to my limo/blowing off Buddakan strategy, give the driver his head and spend the day comparing and contrasting cheesesteaks and pork sandwiches.

I agree with skipping Buddakan.

Of course, I also understand appeasing friends.

What about steering your friend towards another Starr place,

maybe Alma de Cuba or Angelina?

If I had to go to one of his places, those would be my choices.

About Tony Luke's, my favorite sandwich there alternates between

the chicken cutlet or the roast pork, either one with broccoli rabe.

But that's taking you off your cheesesteak hunt.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Here's the plan.  Skip Buddakan and use the money saved to take a limo to Steve's Prince of Steaks.

I agree with skipping Buddakan.

Of course, I also understand appeasing friends.

What about steering your friend towards another Starr place,

maybe Alma de Cuba or Angelina?

If I had to go to one of his places, those would be my choices.

About Tony Luke's, my favorite sandwich there alternates between

the chicken cutlet or the roast pork, either one with broccoli rabe.

But that's taking you off your cheesesteak hunt.

Ah yes! Herbacidal is right on with the chicken cutlet sammiches as well. The cutlet sandwiches at Tony Luke's are only surpassed by the cutlet sandwiches at Shank & Evelyn's. But that's a whole 'nother trip...

DO NOT come all the way to Philly and eat 8 cheesesteaks. Eat 6 cheesesteaks if you must but at least squeeze in two Roast Pork with Rabe and Prov. You'll hate me now for confounding your trip, but I promise you'll thank me later.

You'll thank us all later for talking you out of Buddakhan as well. :wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Well I'm sorry to dissapoint, but I am going to go to Buddakan. I'll just go there expecting the worst meal of my life, being surrounded by wannabe posers, and knowing that I would probably get more satisfaction eating a Big Mac as I threw $100 bills into the fireplace. Sometimes I don't mind making sacrifices for well-meaning, misled friends...

As for the big Saturday, I will get a roast pork and I will try to hit a couple of the other places on top of Geno's, Pat's, Tony Luke's, and Jim's... :biggrin:

I've had a decent meal every time at Buddakan. They're consistent.

If you want to be a true workhorse:

Go to Lorenzo's on South.

Get a big slice.

Then go to Jims.

Order a cheesesteak cheez wit

Then, get this, wrap your Lorenzos around the steak and enjoy!

Take lots of pictures and post them here.

Have fun in our beautiful (to us) city!

As for the big Saturday, I will get a roast pork and I will try to hit a couple of the other places on top of Geno's, Pat's, Tony Luke's, and Jim's... :biggrin:

My Philly trips always include a trip to Geno's and Pat's. I love going to the Pat's and ordering totally wrong so I can see the old guy grit his tooth

Just posted the results of my Cheese Steak testing here. As for Buddakan, we had a nice time. It was more about hanging out with friends than the dining experience. Did NOT enjoy the service, everyone working there that we dealt with seemed to think they were very important and that we, the customers, were lucky to be there.

The food was decent although not very memorable. The crab and shrimp spring rolls were yummy and we ordered a second round (I was told they were crab/shrimp but looking at the menu and it describes them as just "shrimp" hmmm). My friend did most of the ordering and got 6 aps and 6 entrees which we ate family style. I did order the Black Cod and it was actually pretty good flaky and fresh tasting. Might have been the best thing we got besides the spring rolls. Did NOT like the wasabi tuna pizza or the "angry" lobster (first time I've had lobster "asian style" and didn't really dig it). We also got a chocolate bento box for desert which was edible and was presented with a lit sparkler. Oh, and the GF like the asian barbeque pork - I thought it was dry but I did enjoy one of the extra large onion rings it comes with. :biggrin:

7 people the total came to about $650 with tax, tip, and $100 of wine, not so bad. I probably wouldn't go back voluntarily.

but at least squeeze in two Roast Pork with Rabe and Prov.  You'll hate me now for confounding your trip, but I promise you'll thank me later.

Ohmygod I could kill for a Primo hoagie right now!

evil evil menu of most foul and evil temptation

I believe they call it "the abruzzi". The Pal Joey is pretty good too.

Edited by Behemoth (log)