• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capogiro Gelato

KatieLoeb

I had my first cup of gelato at the relatively new Cafe Toscano Gelateria.

I agree with most of the above conclusions -- slightly worse texture, less adventurous flavors, and, ultimately, a lesser gelato -- but the place has some positives.

Aside from price, Toscana is certainly more friendly towards kids and milder palates (and tourists). This doesn't mean that the flavors are boring, they're just more akin to a Cold Stone or Bassetts -- they're not trying to break down culinary barriers here. That said, they did have a Tartufo gelato.

I ordered a (really) small cup that barely held two flavors: Panna Cotta and Cannolo Siciliano. THe former was like a poor vanilla, with more egg flavor and less bean. The Cannolo was very good. Like a good gelato should, it mimicked the flavor of a ricotta cannoli, with min pieces of cannoli shell to boot. The aftertaste was very pleasant.

If I were within walking distance, I wouldn't pass up on Toscana.

(I may put some photos up on the blog.)

Edited by shinyboots (log)

I enjoyed the blueberry again but with Peach with Prosecco. The prosecco wasn't a very dominant flavor at all but the peach flavor was quite nice.

We also brought home two pints - Golden plum and raspberry. Both flavors are delicious, but the plum is exceptional, with tiny flecks of plum throughout.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

I enjoyed the blueberry again but with Peach with Prosecco.  The prosecco wasn't a very dominant flavor at all but the peach flavor was quite nice.

We also brought home two pints - Golden plum and raspberry.  Both flavors are delicious, but the plum is exceptional, with tiny flecks of plum throughout.

Agreed. I tried the Yellow Plum the other night and it was delicious. I also tried the Blueberry-Thyme and it was outrageous.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Feeling a little retro, I had the bitter chocolate and the bananas foster. Both were outstanding,

Brought a couple of friends from out of town. I should have prepared them better... they seemed kind-of stunned and disoriented, but were smiling and seemed to be trying to articulate happiness.

I guess it was kind of cruel to give them a dish of that and then send them out of state.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I heard a rumor that Capogiro now has cones as well as cups.

Sellout? Or new taste sensation? Have they found a cone that can match up to their gelato? Or is it just a bid to get people moving out of the crowded store?

Inquiring minds want to know, people.

they've always had cones. they're these little mini sugar cones they get from spain, i think, although i'm not exactly sure why i think that. you get a little cone with about a 1/2 of a small serving in it (one flavor only) for like $2.50 or so. the cones are great.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

Really? Well, once again, I've shown myself to be ignorant. Or easily distracted. Or both.

I have yet to encounter a really good ice cream cone in Italy. Even (especially?) the best gelaterias have crappy cones, as if they want you to focus on the gelato.

The cones cost maybe a quarter more, and you can get whatever size/multiple flavors for the correspondingly higher price with them. They'll also give you a cone to stick on top of your cup of gelato if you like. They're very sugar cone like. mm.

I visited again this weekend ( I've lost track of how many times I've been there this month) and had the peach and sugar plum. I also tried their stracciatella, and that was pretty delicious. Out of curiosity, I tasted their mojito and in this case, you can definitely taste the rum, so if you're looking for a more defined booze taste, I highly recommend the mojito over the other fruit flavors.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

While introducing a coworker to the concept of gelato at Cafe Toscana today, I was handed a dizzying array of tasting spoons. (He must have liked my quickie explanatin of gelato and decided that I sound like a good ambassador.)

The negatives: Dark chocolate was too crystaline in texture, and while the flavor was intensely chocolate, It was not intensely dark chocolate. The less acidic fruit flavors (mango, banana..) are just not very intense at all.

The traditional Italian/creamy flavors are possibly improving. Zabaglione was more intense than when last I tried it, as was the panna cotta. Or perhaps I'm getting cozy to the presence of gelato thisclose to my office. In short, I'm sticking with my original assessment of not-Capogiro-but-pretty-good, and a welcome addition to the neighborhood. I'll continue to taste, just to be on the safe side.

Recently tried ricotta, which was a lot like a plain sweet cream flavor with a little extra unctuous mouthfeel; three out of the four ppl in my group ended up getting it. I liked it, but not enough to give up on fruity sorbettos. I'm waiting for them to do rice as a flavour, other ppl who've had it at places outside of Philly said it's good.

mrbigjas: If I am not mistaken, Capogiro was there before DiBruno's opened their world-class store. DiBruno's wants to carry the top of the line, and they probably knew the owners of Capogiro from when they (DiBruno's) had the smaller store in that area. One stop shopping more or less and a lovely atmosphere for the DiBruno's customers. And great exposure for Capogiro. If it wasn't selling at DiBruno's, they wouldn't carry it. Artisanal food sources often distribute near their own facilities.

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

ooops! I didn't see that you all were talking about 1q9th street, not the original store.

Nevermind...

mrbigjas: If I am not mistaken, Capogiro was there before DiBruno's opened their world-class store. DiBruno's wants to carry the top of the line, and they probably knew the owners of Capogiro from when they (DiBruno's) had the smaller store in that area. One stop shopping more or less and a lovely atmosphere for the DiBruno's customers. And great exposure for Capogiro. If it wasn't selling at DiBruno's, they wouldn't carry it. Artisanal food sources often distribute near their own facilities.

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

yeah, the 19th street future store is what i meant.

i mean, i have no problem with it--as far as i'm concerned if i'm never more than 2-3 blocks from a capogiro outlet i'd be pretty happy. i was just wondering if they weren't worried about cutting into their own business. but hey, it's all good.

yeah, the 19th street future store is what i meant. 

i mean, i have no problem with it--as far as i'm concerned if i'm never more than 2-3 blocks from a capogiro outlet i'd be pretty happy.  i was just wondering if they weren't worried about cutting into their own business.  but hey, it's all good.

20th St.? And DiBruno's won't be much competition, I don't think... They don't seem to sell much, and ther selection is small and narrow, as pointed out above. I think they'll keep doing impulse business to their own shoppers, but Capogiro will be a Destination!

I'm just reading your thread about the gelatto in Philly.  Sounds yummy!!!  WHere is this place?

Hodad:

Capogiro is located at the corner of 13th and Sansom Streets, right across from El Vez. They're open reasonably late (until midnight Sun-Thurs, 1 AM on Fri & Sat) so it's a great stop for dessert after dinner or an event anywhere else in the city.

You can see more info about them at their website, including some of the flavors they offer. But go back and re-read this thread from the beginning and I'm sure you'll get enough descriptions to entice you to make the short trip up from DE.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm just reading your thread about the gelatto in Philly.  Sounds yummy!!!  WHere is this place?

Hodad:

Capogiro is located at the corner of 13th and Sansom Streets, right across from El Vez. They're open reasonably late (until midnight Sun-Thurs, 1 AM on Fri & Sat) so it's a great stop for dessert after dinner or an event anywhere else in the city.

You can see more info about them at their website, including some of the flavors they offer. But go back and re-read this thread from the beginning and I'm sure you'll get enough descriptions to entice you to make the short trip up from DE.

Thanks Katie! You rule. Once again I'm saved from living in oblivion. :rolleyes:

today: peach with southern comfort and hazlenut. i considered going with the almond, but the hazlenut turned out to be the choice of the afternoon. imagine a hazlenut butter sandwich with peach jam. yeah, it was like that.

interesting flavor tried today: hot pepper. there was a habanero in the tray, and it had that fruity, almost red bell-peppery flavor that habaneros have, but the afterburn i was expecting didn't happen.

also lime/cilantro was being snarfed by many today. i thought it was overly cilantro-y and not limey enough--i had thought about going with it and the hot pepper, but i'm glad i reconsidered.

Yep, I agree about the "hot hot pepper", there was just the slightest chile halo, but no real spice. The gelatodian (what, you got a better term?) told me they were trying to ease into it, and plan to make the pepper more and more present and hot. We'll see.....

philadining.com

Thursday night:

Tahini, which had a smooth, mellow, sesame-nuttiness.

The Mexican Chocolate was partying pretty hard last night! Both cinnamon and chile heat were turned up pretty loud, waking the neighbors and scaring the children.

I liked them both!

philadining.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tonight I had the pumpkin which is a fitting flavor for today's weather, coupled with the dark chocolate. Good stuff. My 2 year old sat with his feet up on a chair and downed an entire piccolo size banana/chocolate. My jaw remains dropped at this sight.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

• 4 weeks later...

Another nod to Capogiro in the Times today talking about sending food gifts for the holiday season.....

There is nothing subtle about CAPOGIRO'S GELATOS. You can taste the bourbon in the bourbon butterscotch, there is loads of mint in the chocolate mint and the Mexican chocolate with hot pepper has a wonderful hint of heat. The gelatos are generally denser than premium American ice creams but have less butterfat: only 7 percent, as against 20 percent or more. Six pints are $60; www.capogirogelato.com, (215) 351-0900. Dec. 14.

Dough can sense fear.