• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capogiro Gelato

KatieLoeb

Had the Mirtillo (blueberry) and Thyme, and Thai Coconut Milk last week. First was very yummy, with a not-overwhelming herbal note, and the second is a favorite. Also sampled Mamey Sapote (a fruit) and Black Fig. Thought both were a bit mild/not intense enough for my taste. Also tried avocado, which I liked more than I expected. Sweet, creamy, and avocado-y. Definitely worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the before mentioned Thai Coconut milk and now one of my favorites too, creamy and coconut, how can you go wrong? :biggrin:

Also tried the Pineapple with sage, also very good (at least I think it was sage). And the Caribbean Papaya, which was okay but the prior two were my favorite.

Got a quick fix yesterday at DiBruno's. Gotta say, it just isn't the same. I can understand the smaller selection, but does it have to be 60% chocolate? And the whole weighing thing... it's just ungenerous. I always feel a little gypped. And, just for a kicker, they gave me malted instead of cappucino. Not bad, but not what I wanted, and the other flavor was bitter chocolate, so cocoa overkill. Server seemed so sad and harried I just took it.

When is the 20th St. shop opening, anyone know?

Pineapple-Mint: surprisingly tame, almost bland, but refreshing.

Lemon Opal Basil: weird dull pink color, but deeelicious.

Those were both sorbettos. I have to say the gelato didn't seem all that interesting tonight. Of course there were some excellent old standards, but nothing too challenging or new. Of course there's nothing wrong with the old faves, but I'd made a vow to always try at least one new flavor.

(BTW they have a petition on the counter for folks who live near 20th and Sansom to sign. I don't know if they're having zoning problems or what, but they ask those residents to help them open their second store. It's a good excuse to pop by there if you'd like a branch in your neighborhood.)

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Got a quick fix yesterday at DiBruno's. Gotta say, it just isn't the same. I can understand the smaller selection, but does it have to be 60% chocolate?

I totally agree; went in there a while ago and was dismayed by the overwhelming chocolatude of the sight. I just don't like chocolate all that much, especially in the summer.

We schlepped the kids downtown Saturday night to go to capogiro for the first time. My son (4.5 yrs) was extremely disappointed that they did not have vanilla. I tried to tell him that the Fior di Latte was vanilla, but he said it did not taste like vanilla. My 2 yr old was happy as a clam with the chocolate. I tasted almost everything and eventually settled down to the grapefruit and campari and the - oh, I'm having one of those moments, I can not remember. Well, I remember tasting the champagne and mango and being underwhelmed - I love champagne, mango, and gelato, but apparently I do NOT love champagne mango gelato. Go figure. I also greatly enjoyed my tastes of cilantro and lime, mexican chocolate (which was called something else but I forget what it was called - chocolate flavored with chile peppers), and the rosemary, honey, and goat's milk - oh. my. gosh. The rosemary, honey, and goat's milk was a big surprise to me - I hadn't expected to enjoy it THAT much. My husband had a cappucino gelato and was underwhelmed. I tasted his and loved it. He just isn't so much a gelato fan, I think. Oh well. More for me!

Got a quick fix yesterday at DiBruno's. Gotta say, it just isn't the same. I can understand the smaller selection, but does it have to be 60% chocolate?

I totally agree; went in there a while ago and was dismayed by the overwhelming chocolatude of the sight. I just don't like chocolate all that much, especially in the summer.

Precisely! My hankerin' was for something fruity, a little tart and refreshing. Gelatto, most likely, especially in the middle of the day. But Noooo! They had nothing to fit the bill.

We schlepped the kids downtown Saturday night to go to capogiro for the first time. My son (4.5 yrs) was extremely disappointed that they did not have vanilla. I tried to tell him that the Fior di Latte was vanilla, but he said it did not taste like vanilla.

And right he was, your wise child whom you so fecklessly deceive. In the place whence I come, the plain-vanilla flavor isn't vanilla, it's natas, meaning cream, which is what fior de latte is. Never quite adjusted to not being able to get it whenever I want it. Now I nearly always get it as a foil to whatever fruit flavor I order.

...it's natas, meaning cream...

Not to contradict you, but years of juvenile delinquency spent playing heavy-metal records backwards lead me to believe that "natas" means something quite different...

No confusion. I just called him "Dad".

...it's natas, meaning cream...

Not to contradict you, but years of juvenile delinquency spent playing heavy-metal records backwards lead me to believe that "natas" means something quite different...

No confusion. I just called him "Dad".

Ah, understood. (I'm suddenly reminded of the kid who as a result of an unfortunate typo, sold his soul to Stan...)

I had the aforementioned salted bitter almond and Mora. Mmmmmm!

Mora (Lancaster County Blackberry) Gelato is the very purple batch at about 8:30 in the picture just above this post. The large, tart, frozen berry in my serving was killer!

If Capogiro were closer to me, I'd spend a fortune there!

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I had the aforementioned salted bitter almond and Mora.  Mmmmmm!

Mora (Lancaster County Blackberry) Gelato is the very purple batch at about 8:30 in the picture just above this post.  The large, tart, frozen berry in my serving was killer!

If Capogiro were closer to me, I'd spend a fortune there!

Oooo-tay... I had the mora yesterday, and, while the frozen berry was indeed berry-ish, the gelatto itself was just a creamy sweetness going down - no detectable flavor, just about. I may have erred by pairing it with the cilantro-lime. Which had its usual fabulousness in full measure.

Last night I had:

Bourbon-Butterscotch. Mmmmm. Two of my very favorite things together! This was very tasty.

And the Salted Bitter Almond - everyone else liked it as much as I did. I'd had it once before and would describe it as the taste of Amaretto without being sickly sweet. And the salt takes the flavor to a new level. YUM!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

... I may have erred by pairing it with the cilantro-lime. Which had its usual fabulousness in full measure.

The pairing of the flavors there has been one of my favorite things (and Katie won the prize last night - each flavor good, even better together - why am i not surprised?) but I'm starting to wonder if some of their flavors just don't lend themselves to that, or at least might not shine in some circumstances? My white peach sorbetto really did bloom with flavor when i concentrated on it for a while, and I suspect some other flavors might be like that too. Not that the pairing is bad, maybe some of them just don't want to be paired-up.

But narrowing it down to two has been hard enough, it really might not be possible to just have one flavor in a cup..... I don't know if I could do it.

philadining.com

... I may have erred by pairing it with the cilantro-lime. Which had its usual fabulousness in full measure.

The pairing of the flavors there has been one of my favorite things (and Katie won the prize last night - each flavor good, even better together - why am i not surprised?) but I'm starting to wonder if some of their flavors just don't lend themselves to that, or at least might not shine in some circumstances? My white peach sorbetto really did bloom with flavor when i concentrated on it for a while, and I suspect some other flavors might be like that too. Not that the pairing is bad, maybe some of them just don't want to be paired-up.

But narrowing it down to two has been hard enough, it really might not be possible to just have one flavor in a cup..... I don't know if I could do it.

Are you kidding?!? I have a hard enough time keeping it to just two flavors in a cup. I know I could get a bigger one, but I think I appreciate it more in small manageable doses. And too many things muddled together just wouldn't taste as good.

So far the best combinations I've had were last night's Bourbon Butterscotch with the Salted Bitter Almond, and my old standby - Mexican Chocolate (chocolate with cinnamon and a hint of chile) and Pistachio. It's hard because sometimes I'll think of a great combination, but they won't ever have those two flavors on the same night! Very frustrating.

The Limoncello sorbet would be great combined if they had a Blueberry gelato. Lemon-Blueberry is one of my favorite all time flavor combos in the summertime.

I'm betting that the Bitter Chocolate and the Espresso together could make a deep dark and delicious kicked up mocha that's even better than their ready made mocha. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Oooo-tay... I had the mora yesterday, and, while the frozen berry was indeed berry-ish, the gelatto itself was just a creamy sweetness going down - no detectable flavor, just about.

I'll be sure to taste more fruit flavors next time - not the best thing when you're early in a party of 17 - but I enjoyed the berry. It wasn't powerful, but it was a hell of a lot better than red Jello.

Edited by Mummer (log)

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Are you kidding?!?  I have a hard enough time keeping it to just two flavors in a cup.  I know I could get a bigger one, but I think I appreciate it more in small manageable doses.  And too many things muddled together just wouldn't taste as good.

that's why, most often, i get the mini cone. it's just a taste of one flavor, the cone is one of the few cones i've ever wanted to eat, and you can always go back for another...

i mean, maybe combining is the point, but whenever i do, i usually enjoy one flavor more than another, or find one overpowering, or something. i think it's easier to just concentrate on one at a time.

and those cones...

Are you kidding?!?  I have a hard enough time keeping it to just two flavors in a cup.  I know I could get a bigger one, but I think I appreciate it more in small manageable doses.  And too many things muddled together just wouldn't taste as good.

that's why, most often, i get the mini cone. it's just a taste of one flavor, the cone is one of the few cones i've ever wanted to eat, and you can always go back for another...

i mean, maybe combining is the point, but whenever i do, i usually enjoy one flavor more than another, or find one overpowering, or something. i think it's easier to just concentrate on one at a time.

and those cones...

It depends. It can be hard to nail complementary and contrasting flavors, but when you succeed the pair is often greater than the sum of its parts. I'm not a gambling man, but I *really* like that gamble. And for you timid folk, there are what I like to think of as neutral flavors, gustatory khaki if you will: my favorite is Fior di Latte, and Vanilla is America's Number-One Choice, but I'm sure others can come up with their own choices for flavors that go with anything...

We stopped by for a quick snack today and I enjoyed nectarine and mirtillo with grand marnier. The nectarine was perfect, and the mirtillo (blueberry) was really delicious as well, but I didn't detect any of the grand marnier. Still, it wasn't any big loss, the blueberry taste was bright and fresh either way.

My brother had ciocolatto and ciocolatto scuro. The ciocolatto tasted like the finest milk chocolate and the ciocolatto scuro was fudgy and dark tasting like an excellent quality brownie.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Peanut Butter gelato: excellent.

Probably should have had it with the dark chocolate, but that's a bit obvious, isn't it....

Yellow Plumb gelato: great texture, with bits of skin, tasted great. And it's nice to have a really fruity gelato, not just sorbettos.

It kind-of worked as a PBJ sandwich, if one used plumb jelly...

philadining.com