• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capogiro Gelato

KatieLoeb

• 2 weeks later...
Acorn Squash: like a nice slice of pumpkin pie, but, well, colder...

and Bitter chocolate, because, one should always find an excuse to have the bitter chocolate.

But have you tried the Mexican Chocolate, when they've had it???

Ohmigod! Cinnamon and a little tingle of residual heat on your lips. It's heavenly! And it pairs incredibly well with the Pistachio, don't know why.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Sign @ Capogiro says that, starting in January, they'll be offering Italian lessons.  Which, when you think about it, is a brilliant idea.

(Although I really start speaking Italian best after a couple of glasses of wine, not ice cream...)

Ciao mi amico!! Anybody want to take Italian with me?? I've been wanting to learn for quite some time.

Anybody??

And we can have a weekly gelato fix. What could be bad about that?

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Sign @ Capogiro says that, starting in January, they'll be offering Italian lessons.  Which, when you think about it, is a brilliant idea.

(Although I really start speaking Italian best after a couple of glasses of wine, not ice cream...)

Ciao mi amico!! Anybody want to take Italian with me?? I've been wanting to learn for quite some time.

Anybody??

I'm in. I've been wavering back and forth between French and Italian. Maybe I'll try a little of both. Now all I need is Beau Monde to offer French lessons.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 1 month later...

Last night:

Me-

Bitter Chocolate, so creamy and dark.

Mexican Chocolate, cinnamon and not as spicy as I remember, just delicious.

Clementine, subtle and tasty.

Him-

Chestnut, whole bits of chestnut in it!

Quince, light and nicely astringent and nicely sweet.

Philly Francophiles

Anyone know if this stuff travels well? Say, back to Wilmington.

Yes, if you pack it in dry ice or the equivalent. See

this post and subsequent posts from upthread to see how Chris Holst did it.

Can it keep overnight in the fridge?

I'm going to go say no on this one. While Capogiro gelato can do just about anything, it's still ice cream, after all.

Anybody??

So it looks like I'm going to have to de-rustify my Italian in the near future. And what could be a better way than this? Anybody still interested: Katie? Herb?

Anybody??

So it looks like I'm going to have to de-rustify my Italian in the near future. And what could be a better way than this? Anybody still interested: Katie? Herb?

Andrew:

The first class was already held this past Monday evening. Since I'm not positive about my schedule yet I couldn't commit. Should have a better idea of my availability by the time the next session rolls around in 6 or 7 weeks. I'm still interested and will get all the details and post, OK?

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

The first class was already held this past Monday evening.  Since I'm not positive about my schedule yet I couldn't commit.  Should have a better idea of my availability by the time the next session rolls around in 6 or 7 weeks.  I'm still interested and will get all the details and post, OK?

There's gonna be another session? Cool. I couldn't commit either.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The first class was already held this past Monday evening.  Since I'm not positive about my schedule yet I couldn't commit.  Should have a better idea of my availability by the time the next session rolls around in 6 or 7 weeks.  I'm still interested and will get all the details and post, OK?

Ah Katie, yer the greatest! Session #2 sounds terrific.

• 1 month later...

tonight was one scoop of Rosemary Honey Goatmilk, and one of Stracciatella (no, not the wedding soup, the ice cream with leaves of chocolate). The rosemary was really lovely, and as a kid, I ate only chocolate chip ice cream, so I feel entitled to regress from time to time...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

tonight was one scoop of Rosemary Honey Goatmilk, and one of Stracciatella (no, not the wedding soup, the ice cream with leaves of chocolate).  The rosemary was really lovely, and as a kid, I ate only chocolate chip ice cream, so I feel entitled to regress from time to time...

Ohmigawd! I love the Rosemary-Honey Goatmilk gelato at Capogiro! :wub: They only have that flavor once in a while, but it's soooooo good!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Mojito was my pick for most refreshing and possibly new fave flavor at Capogiro. Minty and very lime-ey with a subtle hint of rum in the background. Quite comlimentary to the Thai Coconut Milk gelato that was my other scoop. But I'm still awaiting the return of Pineapple-Mint sorbetto and Honeysuckle gelato in the summertime. Moscato D'Asti floats await! :wub:

I tried Philadining's scoop of Olive Oil gelato and found it quite tasty, but definitely savory as opposed to the sweet treat one normally expects when ordering dessert. If that's kept in mind, the Olive Oil flavor might not be so jarring I think.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

After what was the first of many farewell pies to be consumed at Lombardi's, we enjoyed the Mojito (on Katie's recommendation) as well as blood orange that was a fab combination. I had burnt sugar and grapefruit w/campari. This was a mistake.

Mixing gelato and sorbetto should be warned against by the service people. I hadn't even noticed the grapefruit was sorbetto (without dairy) until the textures collided in my cup. Burnt sugar was heavenly, not so burnt it was bitter - nice and sweet and creamy. Grapefruit also nice but a tad icy.

Beau's friend John had nutella and bannanas foster, a winning combo. I also must note that the beau and I both ordered smalls, yet mine was nearly half the size of his. I compensated by eating his extra :biggrin:

I intend to have the straciatella by itself very soon. Looks divine.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

1) apple with apple brandy (sorbetto): no real brandy flavor, but eerily exactly like a nice granny smith apple, right down to the fleshy texture and bits of skin. Really good.

2) cilantro and lime (sorbetto): I had to get this because of an odd experience I had at Pod just shortly after it opened. Some friends and I sat at the bar, and I asked if they could make a mojito. These drinks weren't quite all the rage yet, so the bartender seemed a little unsure, then decided he could. All looked good, he was squeezing limes and working something with sugar in a muddling cup, but the taste was a little odd. He and I both figured it out simultaneously: he had accidentally used cilantro rather than mint. It wasn't that good of a drink (he replaced it with a proper one), but it did lead to a good inside joke about parsley mojitos....

But I'm happy to say the combo makes for a better sorbetto, not quite as good as the mojito sorbetto from a couple of weeks ago, but the cilantro and lime was nice and sour and refreshing. Thumbs up.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

A large group of 10 of us went Saturday night around 10 p.m.

I had Bitter Chocolate, Mexican Chocolate and Banana.

I know there were no sorbetto's left for our two lactose intolerant friends...

Hubby had Nutella, Thai Coconut and Bitter Chocolate.

He noted that they were all heavy.

Then, I agreed, and so did the rest of the people.

Y'know, I think I've fallen out of love! I used to be madly, unfailingly in love with not only the flavors, but the quality of Capogiro! There was nothing like her outside of Italy!

But, I have to admit, my love affair is----not over, its still good, but, its different somehow.

Our love has gotten----heavier! The consistency is more -----corn starchy?

It's been great, and its certainly not over, but we'll stay good friends that see each other once in a while instead of obsessively!

Philly Francophiles

I had the all-herb, all-the-time combination the other day:

* rosemary goat milk. Old standby, this one. Never disappoints (though it doesn't taste at all goaty), and

* basil. Very nice. There ought to be more basil used in desserts: it has a similar sort of flavor profile to mint, but for whatever reason, it just gets ignored. Anyway, this was perfumy and just delightful. Aw yeah.