• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capogiro Gelato

KatieLoeb

Chris is sooooo smart! That's why we like him! :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

So I picked up a bag of ice from a convenience store, threw a handful of driveway salt onto it, packed the gelato into ziploc freezer bags and submerged them into the briney slush. Worked like a champ. Managed to freeze solid the 6 liters of beer that were sharing space in the cooler

ice beer!

So I picked up a bag of ice from a convenience store, threw a handful of driveway salt onto it, packed the gelato into ziploc freezer bags and submerged them into the briney slush.  Worked like a champ.  Managed to freeze solid the 6 liters of beer that were sharing space in the cooler

ice beer!

Beersicles! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Now that is a flavor of gelato Capogiro's not made yet... would be interesting to see a beer flavored gelato... so many beers to choose from, there could be a whole line of them.

What a co-venture with Monk's or Brigid's this could be!

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

My friend Charlie makes a Honey Porter ice cream (as well as an Irish Whiskey sorbet) at Big Dipper in Missoula MT, but You would need a lot of rock salt and ice to get that to Jersey.

They eat, they drink, and in communion sweet

Quaff immortality and joy.

--John Milton

Or with one of the local breweries, for that matter. I'd love to see them team up with Yards or somebody like that.

A Trubbel de Yards gelato would kick ass, very champagne-like with lots of rock candy and hop notes.

As might a gelato made with Monk's own bottled Flemish Sour.

Then there could be a Victory Golden Monkey gelato. And one with Sly Fox's Incubus. Flying Fish Coffee Porter gelato...and a Heavyweight Perkuno's Hammer Baltic Porter number, all plummy and dark..

Oh man, the possibilities are endless.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Or with one of the local breweries, for that matter. I'd love to see them team up with Yards or somebody like that.

I was thinking more along the lines of the co-venturer selling the gelato on the dessert menu at their restaurant, not just supplying the brews...

But maybe the beer gelatos would go over well enough to sell in Capogiro's display case too...

I think it would be cool to be able to finish off a meal at Monks with a glass of beer and a dish of beer gelato...

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

But maybe the beer gelatos would go over well enough to sell in Capogiro's display case too...

Sure, I've seen liquor gelati, and I'm pretty sure they've had one that incorporated champagne. Might as well pick up a set with a beer gelato.

Not that there'd be anything wrong with a beer gelato at another restaurant. Oh no.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick stop this afternoon as I had to walk right past (as if) on an errand.

A small dish that was half Heiroom Apple sorbetto and half Black Fig sorbetto.

Outstanding.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Just bought a Pint of the "Marscarpone Fig" at a local purveyor (Du Jour Catering in Haverford). I have to say it surpases my expectations. The fig flavor is perfectly balanced between tart and sweet, likely because of the superb marscapone (it just melts!)...One thing: the somewhat largish fig pieces aren't appealing in the least

Just bought a Pint of the "Marscarpone Fig" at a local purveyor (Du Jour Catering in Haverford). I have to say it surpases my expectations. The fig flavor is perfectly balanced between tart and sweet, likely because of the superb marscapone (it just melts!)...One thing: the somewhat largish fig pieces aren't appealing in the least

The flavor I had was specifically identified as "Black Fig" and was relatively smooth with no big fruit pieces in it. It was delicious and everything a Fig Newton pretends to be.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

yesterday: concord grape, cherimoya, tropical sunrise (papaya), pear+wild turkey, pumpkin+pecan, sweetpotato+caramel, cinnamon, regular green grape, persimmon, quince, bacci (those little chocolate hazelnut wafer balls in silver & blue foil). The citrusy fruits are mostly gone. I thought the persimmon, quince & cherimoya were too subtle for me. The pumpkin and sweet potato ones both had swirlies of crunchy caramelized sugar bits. mmmmmmmmm.

• 3 weeks later...

Last night, party of three:

1) Me: Goat milk with honey, PEANUT BUTTER (outrageous) and Bitter Chocolate.

2) Him: Quince, Asian Pear and Bitter Chocolate.

3) Teen Guest: Red Grape, Burnt Caramel, Chioccolet (sp)

Interesting Others we didn't have:

SQUASH (yes, really!)

Rosa (Rosewater)

Ginger-Sesame

Chocolate-Banana and Regular Banana looked great.

Plus, they now have "ice cream sandwiches" made with sweet brioche!!!!!!

I have to try that next time!

Philly Francophiles

I tasted the rosemary goat milk and honey, and the rosemary was too overpowering for me. The butterscotch bourbon is a winner. I tasted the bittersweet chocolate and wondered why I had never ordered that before. It tasted like dark chocolate cake.

I tasted the rosemary goat milk and honey, and the rosemary was too overpowering for me.  The butterscotch bourbon is a winner.  I tasted the bittersweet chocolate and wondered why I had never ordered that before.  It tasted like dark chocolate cake.

Rookie... (I kid)

The Rosemary Goat's Milk with Honey may have been the most extravagant cream dessert I've ever had. Loved every lick...

I tasted the bittersweet chocolate and wondered why I had never ordered that before.  It tasted like dark chocolate cake.

Upon finishing her portion last night after a dinner at Lolita, She Who Must Be Obeyed said of their bittersweet chocolate: When it melts you can use it for a chocolate sauce on top of ice cream!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 3 weeks later...

Tingly burning! Cold!

Hot pepper and mascarpone

with swirly fig jam.

Capogiro's new website lists the flavors made daily. I don't know what I was thinking when I picked the hot pepper one; it wasn't super hot but it would've been more appropriate in between courses as a palate cleanser than as half a cone of tingliness. I liked the avocado and the gooseberry also.

Also, to everyone who goes- do you tip in the tip jar? (I do since I know one of the staff.)

I had Salted Bitter Almond and Wild Turkey/Poached Pear last time I was there. Two of the very best flavors I've ever had ANYWHERE. :wub::wub:

And their pistachio tastes more like pistachio than an actual pistachio nut does. How do they do that???

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Yes, we usually tip. At least a dollar. Sometimes more if they don't weigh it and if there are lots of us.

Went to a new place in Paris that had great interesting flavors on the left bank. I have to find my notes, but I do remember Caramel avec beurre sale that was outrageous. Dammond is the name of the place.

Philly Francophiles