• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capogiro Gelato

KatieLoeb

I LOVE Capogiro, every time I visit Philly I make sure to go. It's hard for me to stray from the Dark Chocolate but I recall having an Apple Mascarpone scoop that was amazing! I just saw on their site they have a "secret stand" at Rockefeller Center. Uh-oh!

Maybe time to do some Capogiro artwork. That's what we need in Philly...good gelato art!

Took Mom to Toppers Spa for a birthday treat, and snuck out while she was getting her pedicure. Got blackberry and thai coconut gelatos. Tried the dark bitter chocolate (thought about that one, but didn't see something I wanted to mix with it...). Guy who worked there was telling someone the fleur de sel mixed with (one of) the chocolates was like eating a chocolate covered pretzel. Glad I live 45 minutes away, it's just too good.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I can imagine that the English Sea Salt (at least that's the type of salted gelato I saw on offer) would go particularly well with the Cioccolata Scuro (dark chocolate).

Then again, I'm the one who thinks that EVERYTHING goes best with dark chocolate.

If I lived 45 minutes from a Capogiro, I don't know which I'd spend more money on - gas or gelato.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

There really isn't a decent thread on ice cream, so I'll post here:

Franklin Fountain last week was decadent.

We had a scoop of freshly made New Jersey Blueberry ice cream. They said it was the final week for it. Very tasty, lots of blueberry taste.

AND, a scoop of -made the night before- local Peach ice cream. This tasted very creamy, but almost not enough of a peach taste. The lady who served us said she and others had made the 300 lb. puree the night before from local peaches. I'm not sure if that means 300 pounds of peaches or 300 pounds of puree!

I think it must be the former.

They do try to incorporate a few local flavors from what is in season.

Very dangerous to have this place a half block from our office!

Philly Francophiles

Franklin Fountain last week was decadent.

That's one place I didn't get to visit (and had hoped to). It's also mentioned in the latest Saveur Magazine (Issue 113).

By the way, here's my blog entry on my Capogiro experiences last month. As you can see, this team gets a big THANKS, including Katie Loeb, whom I nominate as MVP in my Capogiro write-up. :raz:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Franklin Fountain thread

FF is very high in my list of places I really like but never seem to go to, I guess because it's sort of tucked out of the way. But just about everything I've had there has been good, and it's a neat place. Maybe I'll head over there one of the nights this week; the end of the summer calls for ice cream...

Aw shucks, U.E.! :blush: You're the one that did the diving on the grenades. Sheesh! I don't know how you manage. I'd be curled up in a corner with every part of me feeling like an appendage of my stomach... :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Aw shucks, U.E.!  :blush:  You're the one that did the diving on the grenades.  Sheesh!  I don't know how you manage.  I'd be curled up in a corner with every part of me feeling like an appendage of my stomach... :raz:

I was reading the article's comment about the hot steam vent in front of the store on 13th St. and wondered if that was being repaired last Saturday (necessitating the construction site feel and detour to get in the store?). It was weird sitting and eating gelato while watching people measuring pipes and excavating all sorts of things a few feet away.

I have a secret word for you: Granita.

It only works at 20th Street.

OK, it's not really a secret password, it s just an obscure menu item.

It's not even hidden, it's right there on the menu board, and even on a little sign tucked into the corner next to the gelato case, but I never see anybody getting it. Last night the guy who scooped it out for me commented that he didn't understand why more people don't order it.

I join him in his bewilderment. This stuff rocks. I've only tried the espresso flavor so far (there are usually a couple of others, I'm not sure if they change, I think there might have also been a grapefruit and a coconut?)

The default serving is to later the granita with whipped cream. I think this is a bad idea. Even though the espresso flavor goes nicely with the cream, the best attribute of granita is its clean, icy, granular mouth feel. The whipped cream undermines that refreshing quality.

I've had it both ways now, and I much prefer the version with no whipped cream. It's intense, sweet, and very stimulating, especially the espresso version! So just ask for it with no whipped cream.

And, hang onto something, it's only $3.75

I didn't see any evidence of it at 13th street last night, so they might only have it at 20th Street.

If you try any of the other flavors, please report back!

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Holy mackerel, granita di caffe? I have to get me some of that, pronto! One of those tastes I really miss from Rome: there are other places in Philly that serve something under the same name, but it's really more of a coffee slushy. I bet Capogiro does it right.

(FWIW, layering the coffee granita with cream is also the default style at Tazza D'Oro in Rome; the coffee granita by which I judge all others. I like the combination, at least there; but tastes differ, of course.)

Holy mackerel, granita di caffe?  I have to get me some of that, pronto!  One of those tastes I really miss from Rome: there are other places in Philly that serve something under the same name, but it's really more of a coffee slushy.  I bet Capogiro does it right.

Yeah - that an an affogato - gelato with a shot of espresso? Seen it on the list but have never had it. Why? Don't ask me - why haven't you?

Dough can sense fear.

Holy mackerel, granita di caffe?  I have to get me some of that, pronto!  One of those tastes I really miss from Rome: there are other places in Philly that serve something under the same name, but it's really more of a coffee slushy.  I bet Capogiro does it right.

Yeah - that an an affogato - gelato with a shot of espresso? Seen it on the list but have never had it. Why? Don't ask me - why haven't you?

I'm not the you you refer to, shacke, but, I would have had their affogato if it weren't for the fact that I don't take caffeine. I'm not sure if they do a decaf affogato; but I had plenty of other things to keep me happy.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

gallery_23992_1558_86769.jpg

OK, the Espresso Granita is prettier if you get the whipped cream, but I like it better plain.

But- we were contemplating how this would be with a scoop of Dulce de Leche gelato, or Burnt Sugar, or Flan. Could be like a frozen Vietnamese Coffee!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Until Capogiro makes a "sweetened condensed milk" flavor it won't be quite like a frozen Vietnamese coffee, but those other alternatives sound delicious!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen tomato sorbetto there. The 20th Street store had it a couple of weekends ago. And I think there has been cheese flavored gelato - it might have been mascarpone and not mozzarella, though. Mascarpone, tomato and basil would be delicious together too.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I've seen tomato sorbetto there.  The 20th Street store had it a couple of weekends ago.  And I think there has been cheese flavored gelato - it might have been mascarpone and not mozzarella, though.  Mascarpone, tomato and basil would be delicious together too.

Yep, I've seen both tomato sorbetto and Mascarpone gelato at Capogiro. All they need to do next is make some balsamic sorbetto (or gelato) and offer crunchy sea salt...

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 1 month later...

For the fans of affagado, you can get it in Sprazzo in West Chester. Their gelato is not nearly as good as Capogiro's, but people say the espresso is good, and if you're adding coffee or vanilla gelato the combination can't be that bad, right??

I had a bad experience at Capogiro's a few weeks ago....I prefer the fruit sorbettos, and get the watermelon whenever it's offered. This last time, the sugar in the watermelon flavor was overwhelming. It was actually so sweet that I couldn't eat it and ordered another cup with pumpkin and fior di latte (which was terrific). It was September, so I am wondering if the watermelon was on its way out of season, and so more sugar was added to the recipe. I adore Capogiro's, and their superior quality has been pretty consistent over the past few years, so this was a big disappointment to me.

"He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating oysters." - King James I

• 3 weeks later...

I was bummed the last time I stopped in Capogiro that I was told they're no longer offering the single-scoop cones :( I enjoy their gelato but a lot of times even the smallest cup is too much/too rich for me, and a bit too expensive as well, especially these days.

Wish they would bring the cones back. I used to love those for a mid-day sweet snack.

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

You can always stop for a few tastes and ask for a single-scoop cone of your fave.

Perhaps, they'll get the message. "...especially these days."

I was bummed the last time I stopped in Capogiro that I was told they're no longer offering the single-scoop cones  :( I enjoy their gelato but a lot of times even the smallest cup is too much/too rich for me, and a bit too expensive as well, especially these days.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

• 6 months later...

Fellow I spoke with as I walked past there on the way to jury duty this morning estimated they'd be out of commission a week. He was wearing an apron, as were the girls with him, and he answered my questions using the first person plural, so I'm guessing he worked there.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 2 weeks later...

Replacement must be taking longer than planned, and I noticed someone in there the other day painting, so maybe they're taking advantage of being closed for a little spruce-up?

Thank goodness the 20th & Sansom location is still open or I'd be inconsolable. Three pounds lighter, maybe, but inconsolable.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Replacement must be taking longer than planned, and I noticed someone in there the other day painting, so maybe they're taking advantage of being closed for a little spruce-up?

Thank goodness the 20th & Sansom location is still open or I'd be inconsolable. Three pounds lighter, maybe, but inconsolable.

There's also the new location on E Passyunk Ave., next to Paradiso. The selection of flavors is a lot better at the 20th St. location, though.