• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capogiro Gelato

KatieLoeb

Definitely less bittersweet than before. More "brownie-flavored" than I remember it, and with much less of that dark bittersweet chocolate edge I always loved about it. Still good, but I prefer my sweets less sweet than savory, I guess.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A big thanks to whoever it was that came up with u.e.'s "CPF" (Capogiro Proximity Factor). That index enabled me to hit the Capogirae twice daily on my recent five-day trip to Philadelphia (and contributed to my slight tummy gain).

You can see all of the photos on my Flickr account.

Here are the flavors I managed to try:

Gelati

Cioccolato Scuro

Cioccolato Mexicana

Saigon Cinnamon

Malted Chocolate

Fior di Latte

Creme Fraiche

Pistachio Siciliano

Tahini

Cashew

Mandorla Tostata (Toasted Almond)

Bacio (Gianduja/Chocolate-Hazelnut/Nutella)

Mora (Blackberry)

Mascarpone

Chocolate Amarena Cherry

English Sea Salt

Bananas Foster

Pesche con Panna (Peaches & Cream)

Georgian Pecan

Moka (Chocolate and Coffee)

Turkish Coffee

Irish Coffee

Dulce de Leche

Thai Coconut

Nocciola Piemontese (Piemontese Hazelnut)

Rosemary Honey Goat's Milk

Capuccino

Burnt Sugar

Lavendar Straciatella

Straciatella

Chocolate Banana

Pignoli

Sorbeti

Melone con Absente

Pluot

Espresso

Mojito

Arancia con Cardamomo (Orange with Cardamom)

Uva (Grape)

Cilantro-Lime

Blueberry-Grand Marnier

Limone

Cocomero Giallo (Yellow Watermelon)

Pompelmo Rosso con Campari (Ruby Grapefruit with Campari)

Pesche Giallo (Yellow Peach)

Pesche Bianco (White Peach)

Fig

Albiciocca (Apricot)

I'm positive that I've left of a few.

One can't possibly accuse me of not taking advantage of a good thing when it's accessible. :biggrin:

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

A big thanks to whoever it was that came up with u.e.'s "CPF" (Capogiro Proximity Factor).  That index enabled me to hit the Capogirae twice daily on my recent five-day trip to Philadelphia (and contributed to my slight tummy gain). 

You can see all of the photos on my Flickr account.

Here are the flavors I managed to try:

Gelati

Cioccolato Scuro

Cioccolato Mexicana

Saigon Cinnamon

Malted Chocolate

Fior di Latte

Creme Fraiche

Pistachio Siciliano

Tahini

Cashew

Mandorla Tostata (Toasted Almond)

Bacio (Gianduja/Chocolate-Hazelnut/Nutella)

Mora (Blackberry)

Mascarpone

Chocolate Amarena Cherry

English Sea Salt

Bananas Foster

Pesche con Panna (Peaches & Cream)

Georgian Pecan

Moka (Chocolate and Coffee)

Turkish Coffee

Irish Coffee

Dulce de Leche

Thai Coconut

Nocciola Piemontese (Piemontese Hazelnut)

Rosemary Honey Goat's Milk

Capuccino

Burnt Sugar

Lavendar Straciatella

Straciatella

Chocolate Banana

Pignoli

Sorbeti

Melone con Absente

Pluot

Espresso

Mojito

Arancia con Cardamomo (Orange with Cardamom)

Uva (Grape)

Cilantro-Lime

Blueberry-Grand Marnier

Limone

Cocomero Giallo (Yellow Watermelon)

Pompelmo Rosso con Campari (Ruby Grapefruit with Campari)

Pesche Giallo (Yellow Peach)

Pesche Bianco (White Peach)

Fig

Albiciocca (Apricot)

I'm positive that I've left of a few. 

One can't possibly accuse me of not taking advantage of a good thing when it's accessible.  :biggrin:

Did you purchase all of that or just taste it while deciding what to purchase? That's a pretty astonishing list.

I'd say that, between my friends and I, we consumed (as in purchased and ate) a good 3/4 to 4/5 of that list. The remainder were tastes. I'm sure that between the three of us, we spent over $100 on gelato in those five days.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'd say that, between my friends and I, we consumed (as in purchased and ate) a good 3/4 to 4/5 of that list.  The remainder were tastes.  I'm sure that between the three of us, we spent over $100 on gelato in those five days.

I assumed you liked the Bacio the best?

I'd say that, between my friends and I, we consumed (as in purchased and ate) a good 3/4 to 4/5 of that list.  The remainder were tastes.  I'm sure that between the three of us, we spent over $100 on gelato in those five days.

I assumed you liked the Bacio the best?

You're the umpteenth person to ask me what my favorite was. I honestly can't say. And, no, the Bacio would not make my top five list. If push came to shove, I would probably say that my top five favorites (shockingly dominated by sorbeti) were the Rosemary Honey and Goat's Milk gelato, the Blueberry-Grand Marnier sorbeto, the Melone con Absente sorbeto (which was a shock, since I abhor absinthe, normally), the Espresso sorbeto, the English Sea Salt gelato, and the Mojito sorbeti.

But, really, they were all very good.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Damn!

I've always found that at Capogiro, a few generalizations are true, at least for me.

The nut flavors are always awesome.

The sorbetti are usually more intensely flavored than the gelati.

If it has liquor in it, it's usually a good bet.

I don't think I eat that much Capogiro in a year, and I live here. Of course, I'm trying to keep my Rubenesque-ness right where it is, and clearly don't have either your drive or your metabolism. My hat is off to you and your eating companions. That's impressive. Really. Truly. Astonishing.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Yeah, that Rosemary Honey Goat's Milk is pretty amazing...

A few friends and I have similarly been surprised to find ourselves more seduced by the sorbeto at Capogiro lately, rather than the gelato. Very odd.

Anyway, I join the awed chorus, marveling at your stamina.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

If push came to shove, I would probably say that my top five favorites (shockingly dominated by sorbeti) were the Rosemary Honey and Goat's Milk gelato...

Good call. That's probably my all-time favorite flavor. Though I concur with the other experts on the board; the sorbets are really outstanding. And in Philadelphia's summer stew, that's more appealing than ice cream. (Well, either that or cut out the middleman and go get a water ice. Can't go wrong there.)

Damn! 

I've always found that at Capogiro, a few generalizations are true, at least for me.

The nut flavors are always awesome.

The sorbetti are usually more intensely flavored than the gelati.

If it has liquor in it, it's usually a good bet.

Katie, I could not have summd up my observations more efficiently.

philadining: and you don't even know what I ate yet! I think my scale at home is broken. :laugh: Boy, do I have a couple of months of hard training and discipline ahead of me. Oy.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Amazing! I'm truly impressed. I have also found recently that the sorbettos are appealing to me more than the gelato, though the pistachio is always incredible. I'd add "anything with herbs" to Katie's list.

In spite of your impressively large list, you seem to have missed my current two favorite sorbettos--tomato and lemon opal basil.

Amazing!  I'm truly impressed.  I have also found recently that the sorbettos are appealing to me more than the gelato, though the pistachio is always incredible.  I'd add "anything with herbs" to Katie's list.

In spite of your impressively large list, you seem to have missed my current two favorite sorbettos--tomato and lemon opal basil.

Oops. I had the Lemon Opal Basil as well (as a taste). It didn't have enough basil in my opinion; I got the Pluot instead. The Pluot was immensely flavorful.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Amazing!  I'm truly impressed.  I have also found recently that the sorbettos are appealing to me more than the gelato, though the pistachio is always incredible.  I'd add "anything with herbs" to Katie's list.

Chalk up another vote here for the "anything with herbs" category. Whenever I'm in town, those are the flavors I seek out.

The "anything with herbs" thing seems less consistent than those other observations. Sometimes they're great, and sometimes it's barely perceptable. Sometimes they're awesome though. The pineapple-mint sorbet has to be one of the most refreshing things on earth. I even made up a brunch drink a few years ago after tasting it. Pineapple-mint mimosas. Mmmmmm....

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

1. Holy sh&t.

2. You're welcome.

I like the flavors with herbs & spices -- the combo of pineapple-mint and lime-cilantro sorbetti was a great one a few weeks back, and of the gelato flavors which sound horrendous but taste delightful, I keep an eye out for honey cumin.

Nicely done, u.e.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

...I keep an eye out for honey cumin.

Yeah, there are just too many good flavors that I didn't get to see.

Nicely done, u.e.

Yeah, I'll just chalk this one up as taking a bullet for the team.

BTW, slightly off-topic: has anyone ever noticed the oddly wallpapered apartment entryway just catty corner across 13th and Sansom from the Capogiro (on Sansom)? Here's a picture to help jog your memory. Naturally, walking by that street corner nearly twice a day for a week, I happened to notice it - especially at night, when the garish pattern was lit up. The apartment entryway is right next to a dog/pet (?) store that manages to stay open until 10pm. I don't think we have that kind of pet store in the Midwest. :huh:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

...I keep an eye out for honey cumin.

Yeah, there are just too many good flavors that I didn't get to see.

Nicely done, u.e.

Yeah, I'll just chalk this one up as taking a bullet for the team.

BTW, slightly off-topic: has anyone ever noticed the oddly wallpapered apartment entryway just catty corner across 13th and Sansom from the Capogiro (on Sansom)? Here's a picture to help jog your memory. Naturally, walking by that street corner nearly twice a day for a week, I happened to notice it - especially at night, when the garish pattern was lit up. The apartment entryway is right next to a dog/pet (?) store that manages to stay open until 10pm. I don't think we have that kind of pet store in the Midwest. :huh:

I wonder if that is one of Virgil Marti's wallpapers. He did a neat neon one for the Fabric Workshop and Museum men's room in Philly that was lit by black lights called Bullies

Edited by Bluehensfan (log)

I'm moving Bluhensfan's comment over from the "Where to eat in Philly" thread:

FYI... For fans of Capogiro in NYC, it seems that it's starting to infiltrate the Big Apple

I read about that some time ago. To be honest, I have yet to meet a gelato/sorbetto whose (yes, I'm humanizing this category of food) quality and texture is NOT compromised by packaging and accompanying storage conditions. That Capogiro is launching into this sort of activity gives me pause.

I already know of a few restaurants in NYC that serve Capogiro gelato. Although I've not tried the product shipped and stored on-site by restaurants that, presumably, are incapable of keeping the substance at the desired temperature, I can't imagine it'll be as good as that which I can get made in-house at a dozen gelaterias locally (that is, in NYC).

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I already know of a few restaurants in NYC that serve Capogiro gelato.  Although I've not tried the product shipped and stored on-site by restaurants that, presumably, are incapable of keeping the substance at the desired temperature, I can't imagine it'll be as good as that which I can get made in-house at a dozen gelaterias locally (that is, in NYC).

I know for certain that the packaged Capogiro you can buy at Whole Foods bears little resemblance to in-house stuff. It's not bad, but it's not superior to any of the other high-end packaged gelatos.

---

al wang