• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capogiro Gelato

KatieLoeb

Cheaper than cocktails, particularly since most fly on one wing from Capogiro. About the same as mrbigjas' suggestion of taking a 40 down to the Wissahickon, if you figure in the SEPTA token.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Cheaper than cocktails, particularly since most fly on one wing from Capogiro.  About the same as mrbigjas' suggestion of taking a 40 down to the Wissahickon, if you figure in the SEPTA token.

True dat, and speaking of flying, much cheaper than flying to Rome or Florence for my gelato fix.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Saturday night had cream cheese and m. figs (m because I can't remember the type of fig-mejool?).

Tasty, but not a lot of taste of either, just creamy tasting.

Part of a group of 8, everyone seemed to enjoy theirs, something pineapply was good.

Philly Francophiles

Saturday night had cream cheese and m. figs (m because I can't remember the type of fig-mejool?).

Part of a group of 8, everyone seemed to enjoy theirs, something pineapply was good.

Medjool is usually a type of date, and I know I've seen it as a flavor at CG before. Although for all I know Medjool figs might be a flavor too. If you did have Mejool Dates and Cream Cheese as a combination though, I think I'll have to take my girlfriend for a slice of her childhood. Her father used to make that as a sandwich for her lunch in elementary school. She loved it, but it didn't have much trade in value in comparison to a Twinkie.

Edited by HD73 (log)

I had Olive Oil flavor there last week. It really hit the spot as I was looking for something not to sweet.

I got the impression they were not sure how the flavor would go over, but I gave it a resounding endorsement.

Medjool is usually a type of date, and I know I've seen it as a flavor at CG before. Although for all I know Medjool figs might be a flavor too. If you did have Mejool Dates and Cream Cheese as a combination though, I think I'll have to take my girlfriend for a slice of her childhood. Her father used to make that as a sandwich for her lunch in elementary school. She loved it, but it didn't have much trade in value in comparison to a Twinkie.

It's Medjool dates and cream cheese. Mostly it's sweet cream cheese: the dates are in fairly large chunks and pretty widely spaced. I had two chunks in my serving, but I can easily imagine not getting any. Liked it, and it went well with the other flavor I had that night... something citrusy, can't recall what.

Capaneus, I think you had the Dark and Stormy. That Mejool Dates and Cream Cheese was certainly good.

Has anyone had the Avocado? I tried it, but can't bring myself to order an entire serving.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I'm going to S. Jersey for Mother's Day and would like to buy a couple of pints on the way Sunday. My primary questions are: 1) are pints an available purchase option, 2) if so, how much do they cost, and 3) do they provide dry ice or some other means to keep the gelato cold? If someone can help me out, I'd appreciate it! The only posts I saw regarding buying "to go" were from the beginning of the thread in 2004.

I'm going to S. Jersey for Mother's Day and would like to buy a couple of pints on the way Sunday. My primary questions are: 1) are pints an available purchase option, 2) if so, how much do they cost, and 3) do they provide dry ice or some other means to keep the gelato cold? If someone can help me out, I'd appreciate it! The only posts I saw regarding buying "to go" were from the beginning of the thread in 2004.

1) Yes

2) $10.50, I think -- somewhere in the $10-$11 range

3) They put my pint in a large bag of regular ice for the 15-20 minute walk home. They might have dry ice -- I think you can buy Capogiro pints online and have them shipped to you nationwide, so there's gotta be something they can do to help you.

1) Yes

2) $10.50, I think -- somewhere in the $10-$11 range

3) They put my pint in a large bag of regular ice for the 15-20 minute walk home. They might have dry ice -- I think you can buy Capogiro pints online and have them shipped to you nationwide, so there's gotta be something they can do to help you.

Thanks! I thought as much but just wanted to make sure in case I needed to be prepared before leaving home!

And, they do special order ice cream cakes.

I got one in January this year.

Last year, I special ordered mini ice cream sandwiches.

Not cheap, but super.

The owner worked with me on flavor combinations.

Very good.

When they first opened, we had my adult birthday party there on a Sunday afternoon.

BYOB champagne!

What fun!

Philly Francophiles

• 2 weeks later...

Me: Strawberry Tequila and Wildflower Honey.

Him: Chocolate and Aloha Monkey.

The strawberry was bright and fresh, not a bit of a taste of Tequila.

Wildflower Honey was creamy and good, but tasted of neither.

Chocolate had that little floury taste that some flavors have.

Aloha Monkey with Sailor Jerry rum was good!

Philly Francophiles

• 1 month later...

I was at my local Whole Foods buying stuff for a BBQ and noticed about 7 different Capogiro flavors all priced at $10 per pint. I bought a pint of burnt sugar and consumed the entire pint over the course of the evening. This is some fine gelato! I look forward to trying more flavors. The blood orange and grapefruit are right up my alley on a hot summer day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've become a big fan of Capogiro's brioche con gelato; also their mini cones, for when you just want a little bit of ice cream.

Most recently, we had a watermelon brioche and cherry cone. Both were excellent, though for my money, with a brioche you really want some sort of non-fruit flavor: coffee or pistachio, for example.

Still, as you can see, perfect food for a newborn baby:

gallery_7432_1362_27366.jpg

Hey, gotta start the girl on gelato sooner or later...

Well of course the Principessa loves gelato! It's in her genes!

She'll be enjoying it soon enough, I have no doubt... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Congratulations Andrew! She is a beautiful baby!

Two weekends ago I had the Cinnamon and Chocolate Cherry, I cant remember what it was called but it tasted like chocolate covered marachino cherries. Both flavors were great, but boy do I love cinnamon ice cream. There was an outpost of Steve's ice cream at Penn for a short while in the 80's and they had a cappucino flavor that was mostly cinnamon flavored and it was my favorite. This is my new favorite.

My son who is definitely old enough for ice cream and eats as much of if as he can get his hands on had dulce de leche and chocolate banana. That dulce de leche was great. So incredibly rich and creamy, and a very smooth texture. Hubby had yellow cherry and something I cant remember. Their sorbettos are wonderful, especially in summer with all of the different varieties of fresh fruit available.

• 7 months later...

Thanks to Katie Loeb and Capaneus I made my first trip to Capogiro last week following dinner at Fuji. It was a great ending to that meal: I got the pistachio and the dark chocolate. Personally, I thought the dark chocolate was a bit too brownie-like for my tastes, and the others agreed that it seemed as though perhaps something about it has changed recently. The pistachio, on the other hand, was wonderful. I loved the muted green coloration, and the flavor was very pistachio-ey. Has anyone else had the dark chocolate recently and thought the recipe changed?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I had some of the dark chocolate this weekend and didn't notice any difference from the usual. I feel like it's always been kind of... chewy?

I would describe the texture as "pudding-like." At least, that's how it used to be- I haven't tried it in a while, so don't know if it has changed.

I had some of the dark chocolate this weekend and didn't notice any difference from the usual. I feel like it's always been kind of... chewy?

I would describe the texture as "pudding-like." At least, that's how it used to be- I haven't tried it in a while, so don't know if it has changed.

On the night we were there, "chewy" was definitely closer. Brownie-ish, rather than pudding-like, and less bittersweet. I for one thought it was a marked change from previous tastes.