• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capogiro Gelato

KatieLoeb

Oh.... the sound of the Rosemary Honey Goat Milk makes me want to jump on the next flight to Philly!! The Bourbon Vanilla sounds wonderful too!!

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I guess I'm just spoiled at the moment...just back two weeks in Florence where I could get awesome big cones or cups of amazing gelato for about $2-2.60 US. Hard switching back to "reality". (And don't get me started on wine right now...!)

sockii, I said the same thing. But since it costs about $700 to fly to Rome, this is the next best thing.

We've been stopping by Capogiro a lot more often lately. This past weekend we had:

Chocolate-chocolate-chocolate with banana, and

Single malt scotch with nocciola.

Mr. Duck said that philadining is becoming a bad influence on us. :raz:

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Just came back from a couple of nights in Philly.. We stopped by here three times during our stay.. In are defense, it was a 5 blocks away from our hotel.. We loved this place.. Today we had there fig in the same cup as the walnut.. Both were fantastic and it was a joyous combination..

They had Mamey yesterday which was great. We also had the rosemary, honey, and goats milk..

The people behind the counter are so friendly and are quick to give a sample.. This place is great..

Just came back from a couple of nights in Philly.. We stopped by here three times during our stay.. In are defense, it was a 5 blocks away from our hotel.. We loved this place.. Today we had there fig in the same cup as the walnut.. Both were fantastic and it was a joyous combination..

They had Mamey yesterday which was great. We also had the rosemary, honey, and goats milk..

The people behind the counter are so friendly and are quick to give a sample.. This place is great..

So where did you eat? Feel free to post in another thread :rolleyes:

Edited by Jeff L (log)

So where did you eat? Feel free to post in another thread :rolleyes:

Even better, where did you stay?! :raz:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Stayed at the Loews Hotel with only a minor incident.. :biggrin: Only had to do one room change.. On one of the nights. they booked us in a room that had two double beds.. We ate at Vetri, Sichuan Tasty House, Dinics, Pats, Steve's, Moriarty's,Sarcone's Deli,Bassetts and obviously Capogiro Gelato.. I have already gotten im's from the girl this morning wanting to mail order there Fig Gelato..

Stayed at the Loews Hotel with only a minor incident..  :biggrin: Only had to do one room change.. On one of the nights. they booked us in a room that had two double beds.. We ate at Vetri, Sichuan Tasty House, Dinics, Pats, Steve's, Moriarty's,Sarcone's Deli,Bassetts and obviously Capogiro Gelato.. I have already gotten im's from the girl this morning wanting to mail order there Fig Gelato..

Just curious, how many of these places would you have known about (aside from Vetri) without EG?

Just came back from a couple of nights in Philly..

And you didn't let us know you were coming?? Duuuude.

Give us the heads up next time and we'll find more places for you and your prodigious appetite to dwell... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 month later...

We went on Friday. I saw butternut, pumpkin, sweet potato, and another squash whose name escapes me. The place was packed so I didn't get to peruse all the flavors. We shared a pumpkin praline and bourbon butterscotch. Great combination!

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

• 4 months later...

what, has this cold weather been keeping you guys away? wimps. gelato knows no seasons.

why just last night after a fiery dinner at miran, we braved the 15 degree weather and the ice and the drunken idiots staggering and drooling and getting in fights (none of whom were wearing coats btw), to stop in and get a cup of ginger and bacio. a strange combination, you might think, with the hazlenuts and the chocolate and the ginger, but you know what? it was fantastic. it was like those fancy chocolatiers who put just a little spice or something interesting in their chocolates, that you don't expect. the boy got a little bit of fior di latte, and it made him thirsty enough that he guzzled a bunch of water and then puked part of it up.

this was his second gelato experience -- his first was last week (chocolate banana and date/cream cheese), and as you can see i suspect this is going to turn into an expensive habit...

I think that all gelato is made by machine. Unfortunately, it's not a Willy Wonka-style machine, where you just press a button and cilantro-lime sorbetto pours out... sigh...

Oh, and James: cutest baby-gelato picture EVAR. That boy's growin' up to have some good tastes. Maybe too good...

• 1 month later...
OK, so I heard they make all their stuff with a machine. Anyone know if this is true and if so where can I get this machine

Jeff.

I believe capogiro uses Carpigiani machines.

Even a small one might be in 5 digits and probably wired for 220v AC.

http://www.carpigiani-usa.com/

If you are determined, the only consumer style of that machine that works well is the one by kitchenaid.

Still a little over a grand.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(4i2heg45...&source=bizrate

Have made two visits to Capogiro in the past few days... Tried the Thai Coconut Milk, which was a bit too sweet for my tastes... and then had a wonderfully paired combo of starfruit-lime and grapefruit-campari sorbetti. Yum! When are the cactus pear and honeysuckle coming out?

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 2 weeks later...

This is turning into an expensive habit. Mr. Duck and I had (the last of) the bittersweet chocolate and white chocolate Kaluha.

Karen C.