• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capogiro Gelato

KatieLoeb

I once held my birthday party there, at Capogiro, on a Sunday afternoon when they first opened... It is a BYOB, so she let our party of 25 bring lots of champagne, no corkage fee.

We can do that at the tasting!

Count two of us in, please!

Philly Francophiles

I'm so in (except the weekend of June 24-25 when I'm on call for the Manayunk Arts Festival at my other job) for this! Can we please please please ask her when the Honeysuckle will be in season so we can bring the Moscato d'Asti and have floats for breakfast. clap3.gif

Now THAT'S the Breakfast of Champions right there! :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Stephanie is overwhelmed at the moment but is really interested in putting this event together. It's looking like August at the earliest. Stay tuned.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Dark chocolate and strawberry - great combo.

Most of my little one's peanut butter and fiore di latte - a nice chaser

Found out from John Reitano if anyone cares (I do)....

sorbetto 3 Weight wachers points

gelato is 4 points

A sensible piece of my gluttonous existence. I guess this stuff is indeed less evil than ice cream....

Dough can sense fear.

sorbetto 3 Weight wachers points

gelato is 4 points

A sensible piece of my gluttonous existence.  I guess this stuff is indeed less evil than ice cream....

What serving size are those Points counts, if you know...?

(I don't count religiously any more but my brain is still wired to think more in terms of Points than calories these days.)

Also, count me in for a tasting event!

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

Count me in for the tasting, too! I had my first Capogiro experience two weekends ago (pics to follow once I find enough spare time) and have been dying for a return visit. Thanks, Katie, for pointing my group to the 20th St. site. We were all in heaven!

From the case at the back of the 20th Street store (I typed up the tags below):

La Bomba: A bomb of gelato and sorbetto.

Serves 12+

$62

gallery_8386_3050_39957.jpg

Il Mattone: The brick.

Serves 10

$52

gallery_8386_3050_2697.jpg

Della Signora: Homemade lady fingers surrounding layers of gelato.

Grande $ 64 serves 16

Piccola $30 serves 6-8

gallery_8386_3050_3668.jpg

L'Alaska di Forno: Layers of gelato or sorbetto surrounded by Italian meringue with a housemade lady finger base. In a [sic] 450 oven for 4-5 minutes until tips are brown.

Serves up to 16

$54

gallery_8386_3050_67262.jpg

While we were there, they boxed up one of the cakes in some pretty tissue paper and a box w/ a separate lid, but no dry ice or freezy packs.

Once when I bought pints from the 13th street location, they put the pints in another bag with ice cubes in an effort to keep things a little bit frozen-- it didn't work that well, although my hands got cold carrying it a few blocks. Lesson: eat your pints in the store.

I am no longer a Capogiro virgin. Yesterday, as I was in town, I stopped at the the 13th St. store and after many tasting spoons, decided I'd have the following trio: Thai Coconut Milk, Orange Cardamon and Dulce de Leche :wub::wub: :wub: just wonderful, makes me wish I lived a lot closer or could bring a store to Bucks Co.

Wine - Light held together by moisture. Galileo Galilei

• 1 month later...

I was feeling a little retro, so, Dark Chocolate and Marshmallow

gallery_23992_1558_58330.jpg

man, I needed a graham cracker...

[geek mode]I ate this, like, 2 minutes ago ,and was able to post while finishing up, only getting a little bit of marshmallow gelato smeared on the trackpad. in fact, come by RIGHT NOW and say hi! technology is just freaking me out....[/geek mode]

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

That sounds like a great combo. I have never seen marshmallow. I wonder how its different from the fior di latte? Sounds like the safer coice than beet-orange they are showing today.

Next time since you are now an instant poster, post a case shot before your order and we can recommend something to you!

Dough can sense fear.

We went to Four Rivers the other night, too (courtesy of all you all's suggestion!) and then stopped at CG after.

I had the basil and the peach--sublime!

After some spicy food from Four Rivers, gelato was required.

gallery_23992_1558_25185.jpg

Orange Cardamon, and Thai Coconut Milk.

They were both surprisingly subtle, but tasty nonetheless, and really hit the spot.

Good portion size...

I have never seen marshmallow.  I wonder how its different from the fior di latte?

Yeah, theoretically, it should be similar, but it's not - it really had that marshmallow thing going, not just sugary sweet, but more subtle than simply frozen Fluff. Next time I see it, I'm definitely combining it with one of the nut gelatos for a frozen fluffernutter vibe. Hey, it's quite comforting to revert to age 8 every once in a while...

philadining.com

That sounds like a great combo.  I have never seen marshmallow.  I wonder how its different from the fior di latte?  Sounds like the safer coice than beet-orange they are showing today.

Next time since you are now an instant poster, post a case shot before your order and we can recommend something to you!

Orange beet......is VERY good. I didn't get the beet flavor, but I suppose it just sweetened up the whole concoction and gave some of that pink coloring. But the citrus flavor is awesome, like eating a chilled fresh picked clementine. Really refreshing and not too tart! Give it a taste anyhow....it's free!

"He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating oysters." - King James I

Orange beet......is VERY good.  I didn't get the beet flavor, but I suppose it just sweetened up the whole concoction and gave some of that pink coloring.  But the citrus flavor is awesome, like eating a chilled fresh picked clementine.  Really refreshing and not too tart!  Give it a taste anyhow....it's free!

Shacke and I were just in Capogiro, where we had a great conversation with Stephanie Reitano. When we were discussing the beet-orange, she said that a given batch has only one beet in it. They started at 50/50, she told us, but the beet was too overwhelming, so they gradually reduced the proportion to the one singular powerbeet.

Anyway, there was not beet-orange to be found today, but I made do with lemon verbena and basil. Herbal and refreshing; a perfect summer combo.

Friday = tomato and the lemon opal basil at 20th Street.

Warning: as of today, their air conditioning still isn't fixed so be prepared to sweat while you sample flavors, and you'll have to eat your gelato quickly before it gets soupy.

Stopped by today, around high noon when the temp was pushing the high 90s, to pick up some gelato for a friend soaking up chemo at Pennsylvania Hospital. Got three containers to go. The nice gelatorista put a few scoops of ice in one of their plastic take-out bags to keep the gelato from melting. Clever these Capogiro folk.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Shacke and I were just in Capogiro, where we had a great conversation with Stephanie Reitano.  When we were discussing the beet-orange, she said that a given batch has only one beet in it.  They started at 50/50, she told us, but the beet was too overwhelming, so they gradually reduced the proportion to the one singular powerbeet.

Anyway, there was not beet-orange to be found today, but I made do with lemon verbena and basil.  Herbal and refreshing; a perfect summer combo.

Drawn by the siren's song of said powerbeet, I braved the craggy rocks to try it today. Just a touch of red color and the occassional quark sized beeticle to signal her presence but otherwise this is pure, light and fragrantly orange. It actually strangely tastes like the aroma of citrus rather than it's flesh. Perfect for the weather.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Was a bit bummed today to stop into the 20th Street location and find out their mini-cones are currently "Held up in shipping in Europe". :sad: So I left deprived of my afternoon gelato fix, as I just can't justify the $4 a cup on a regular basis (plus I just like cones...I dunno, seems to me like they could come up with some kind of substitute until the regular cones are back?)

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

they made a big deal out of those cones when they opened the store--how they were specially special things shipped from spain, i think. so i can see how they wouldn't want to replace them temporarily.

besides, the $4.50 isn't a regular basis, right? it's a special situation! there's always justification for gelato!

i like cones too, though. so sad when they're out.

Sockii, you've got way more resolve than I do, I don't think I could walk out of there empty-handed, even if they were only selling half-gallon containers.

For example, despite being completely stuffed from a huge dinner at Lolita, two of us couldn't resist the siren's call:

gallery_23992_1558_42360.jpg

(A classic raspberry with dark chocolate, and a summery peaches and cream.)

In our defense, we did burn a couple of calories by hiking up to the 21st street store...

philadining.com

they made a big deal out of those cones when they opened the store--how they were specially special things shipped from spain, i think.  so i can see how they wouldn't want to replace them temporarily.

I guess I'm just spoiled at the moment...just back two weeks in Florence where I could get awesome big cones or cups of amazing gelato for about $2-2.60 US. Hard switching back to "reality". (And don't get me started on wine right now...!)

I guess I would've been happy with even the offer of a single small scoop in a cup for an equivalent price. Somedays even the piccolo-size is more than I really need, it's so rich, and, well, I'm still paying OFF that Italy trip... :hmmm:

Edited by sockii (log)

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |