• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capogiro Gelato

KatieLoeb

the mailing sent out a blurbio on the new store opening Friday in west center city. This will be bad for my budget. Here's the email that was sent to ppl on the mailing list:

John and Stephanie Reitano can’t contain themselves.

On Friday, November 11th, CAPOGIRO GELATO ARTISANS opens another location in Philadelphia's Rittenhouse Square.

Housed in a historic building that shares the same architect as that of the Empire State Building, the 30-seat café features the same hand crafted gelato and sorbetto as their Sansom and 13th Street location, in a rotating menu of over 300 flavors as well as the signature daily panini, imported candy, salads and soup made from the best local and imported ingredients.

The couple decided to open the Rittenhouse Square location to stop the whining once and for all from all those inconvenienced by the tramp across Broad Street. The new corner location’s design is a progression of 13th Street’s sensibilities, providing a familiar setting that was defined by the space. The gelato will continue to be made fresh on site and gelato cakes will be made available for the first time later this year. The winter features Italian hot chocolates, affogato (espresso poured over gelato), and Italian candy and chocolates. Winter flavors include blood orange, pomegranate, black walnut, and sweet potato pecan praline.

Every element of CAPOGIRO GELATO AND SORBETTO is made by hand—we roast the nuts, caramelize the sugar, and steep the herbs. A combination of fruit picked at the peak of ripeness and milk from Lancaster County hormone-free, grass-fed cows, CAPOGIRO GELATO AND SORBETTO is crafted in 1.3 gallon batches using nothing more than pure Italian artisan know-how. Flavors reflect seasonal bounty with absolutely nothing artificial—no extracts and no preservatives—to get in the way.

It’s honest food, intelligently served: taste no evil.

117 South 20th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103

Phone: 215.636.9250 www.capogirogelato.com

Capogiro Gelato Artisans gelato and sorbetto, featuring exquisite produce procured from Lancaster County Farms, is now also available in

Philadelphia Whole Foods Markets - South Street, Callowhill Street, and Wynnewood; DiBruno Brothers; Manhattan Whole Foods Markets - Columbus Circle, Chelsea, Union Square and White Plains; and New Jersey Whole Foods Markets – Princeton, Edgewater, Montclair, Middletown and Ridgewood.

the mailing sent out a blurbio on the new store opening Friday in west center city. This will be bad for my budget. Here's the email that was sent to ppl on the mailing list:

John and Stephanie Reitano can’t contain themselves.

On Friday, November 11th, CAPOGIRO GELATO ARTISANS opens another location in Philadelphia's Rittenhouse Square.

Housed in a historic building that shares the same architect as that of the Empire State Building, the 30-seat café features the same hand crafted gelato and sorbetto as their Sansom and 13th Street location, in a rotating menu of over 300 flavors as well as the signature daily panini, imported candy, salads and soup made from the best local and imported ingredients.

The couple decided to open the Rittenhouse Square location to stop the whining once and for all from all those inconvenienced by the tramp across Broad Street.  The new corner location’s design is a progression of 13th Street’s sensibilities, providing a familiar setting that was defined by the space. The gelato will continue to be made fresh on site and gelato cakes will be made available for the first time later this year. The winter features Italian hot chocolates, affogato (espresso poured over gelato), and Italian candy and chocolates. Winter flavors include blood orange, pomegranate, black walnut, and sweet potato pecan praline.

Every element of CAPOGIRO GELATO AND SORBETTO is made by hand—we roast the nuts, caramelize the sugar, and steep the herbs. A combination of fruit picked at the peak of ripeness and milk from Lancaster County hormone-free, grass-fed cows, CAPOGIRO GELATO AND SORBETTO is crafted in 1.3 gallon batches using nothing more than pure Italian artisan know-how. Flavors reflect seasonal bounty with absolutely nothing artificial—no extracts and no preservatives—to get in the way.

It’s honest food, intelligently served: taste no evil.

117 South 20th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103

Phone: 215.636.9250  www.capogirogelato.com

Capogiro Gelato Artisans gelato and sorbetto, featuring exquisite produce procured from Lancaster County Farms, is now also available in

Philadelphia Whole Foods Markets - South Street, Callowhill Street, and Wynnewood; DiBruno Brothers; Manhattan Whole Foods Markets - Columbus Circle, Chelsea, Union Square and White Plains; and New Jersey Whole Foods Markets – Princeton, Edgewater, Montclair, Middletown and Ridgewood.

sweeet. wynnewood too? oh nooo.

Dough can sense fear.

what's interesting to me about their new location is that it's in the same building as kate's place, which is a project home affordable housing (low to moderate income) building. so their closest neighbors aren't exactly in a position to be spending $4.50 on a small gelato on a regular basis.

(disclaimer: i'm not saying anything bad about affordable housing, or disparaging capogiro, or doing anything of the sort. i'm just saying it's interesting--they're offering a premium product at a premium price, right there in an affordable housing apartment building... really i guess it's more interesting that project home can provide that much affordable housing that close to rittenhouse, but that's hardly a topic for that board.)

either way i hope it works out for them, and i hope i can stop myself from stopping in EVERY DAY on my way home from work once it warms up again...

what's interesting to me about their new location is that it's in the same building as kate's place, which is a project home affordable housing (low to moderate income) building.  so their closest neighbors aren't exactly in a position to be spending $4.50 on a small gelato on a regular basis.

Actually, the location should work well: easy walk from either Fitler or Rittenhouse, plus there are a number of high density office towers within a few blocks, too, for a large lunch business base.

I was by the corner Monday and I'm surprised they'll be opening as soon as Friday. My quick glance led me to believe they had a bunch more interior work to go. But it was only a quick glance.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

what's interesting to me about their new location is that it's in the same building as kate's place, which is a project home affordable housing (low to moderate income) building.  so their closest neighbors aren't exactly in a position to be spending $4.50 on a small gelato on a regular basis.

(disclaimer: i'm not saying anything bad about affordable housing, or disparaging capogiro, or doing anything of the sort.  i'm just saying it's interesting--they're offering a premium product at a premium price, right there in an affordable housing apartment building...  really i guess it's more interesting that project home can provide that much affordable housing that close to rittenhouse, but that's hardly a topic for that board.)

either way i hope it works out for them, and i hope i can stop myself from stopping in EVERY DAY on my way home from work once it warms up again...

I imagine the rent from the premium-product retailer is one reason they can affor to provide affordable housing.

I believe the previous incarnation was also a non-profit of some sort. So the purchasing price is likely to have been well below retail, and the tax burden is probably light. It's admirable they are forgoing the potential windfall, but they're unlikely to be under a heavy out-of-pocket burden.

• 3 weeks later...

Still feeling a little thanksgiving-y, I decided on butternut squash and after some debate, pine nut flavors. The squash was a little sweet with nice cinnamon and nutmeg spices. The pine nut went really well with the squash, it had a really pleasing creamy, buttery mouthfeel. Both were great.

The (original) place was hopping at almost midnight, the day after thanksgiving.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 1 month later...

We're having a dinner party for hubby's birthday next weekend.

I contacted Capogiro and asked for a special request, instead of a cake.

They're making us 25 mini prune and armangac ice cream sandwiches!

Our request.

Charging us $3 a piece, which sounds pretty reasonable. And they have to make a special batch of the gelato. From what I understand they have to make 5 liters of a batch, so there should be some of that left after Sunday!

My only concern is what does "mini" mean. They said its about the size of a toll house cookie.

I only hope I'm not disapointed with the size...

Philly Francophiles

• 2 weeks later...

I just couldn't resist the urge to post about Capogiro from Capogiro...

They have WiFi now, which could be bad, clogging up tables, but it's good for getting info on the Gullet as fast as possible!

Me: Drunken Pear, and Cara Cara Orange sorbets, both really clean and refreshing.

gallery_23992_1558_42749.jpg

the DDP: Zucca (Lancaster County "neck pumpkin") and Bitter Chocolate gelatos. The pumpkin was like many of their squash gelato, almost savory, smooth and spicy.

gallery_23992_1558_56902.jpg

OK, he couldn't resist digging into the chocolate...

Next step: real-time video link from Capogiro to monitor the levels of rosemary honey goatmilk gelato....

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I only hope I'm not disapointed with the size...

Yeah - I really hate it when that happens. grineyes.gif

Sorry - carry on....

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Had Single Malt Scotch paired with Rosemary Honey Goat Milk. Tasty. The scotch was recognizable, but the flavor was secodary to the lush creamy mouthfeel and subtle sweetness of the gelatto. Not going to become one of my favorites, but quite nice.

That Prune/Armangac was made specifically for me!

I special ordered it to be made into ice cream sandwiches for hubby's birthday party.

They told me that they made a whole batch just for me, and it sold so well in the shop, they had to hurry and pull some aside for my special order!

Good, wasn't it!

Can you imagine it with dark chocolate covered toll house cookies on top and bottom?

Philly Francophiles

I special ordered it to be made into ice cream sandwiches for hubby's birthday party.

They told me that they made a whole batch just for me, and it sold so well in the shop, they had to hurry and pull some aside for my special order!

Good, wasn't it!

Can you imagine it with dark chocolate covered toll house cookies on top and bottom?

Gotta thank you for the Prune/Armangac. Had some last night after a really lousy meal at my former favorite Chinese place, Lee How Fook.

Paired it with the the limoncello and somehow it worked. I'd like to be Copogiro's spoon vendor! So many people sampling so much gelato, unreal.

Good, wasn't it!

Thanks for that !! In fact, I am going to try to imitate this at home (hopefully this weekend) by making a prune and armagnac ice cream.

I would like offer a sure-fire slam dunk dessert for all the guys out there (of course ladies you can do this too) who are looking for a sweet finishing touch for Valentine's Day. Go to Capogiro, get a pint of chocolate (or some form of chocolate) gelato and two champange glasses. Now go find a bottle of Lindeman's Raspberry Lambic. Put two scoops of the gelato into the champagne glasses and pour the lambic over the gelato until the glass is half full. If this doesn't do the trick then you must be in more trouble than I can possibly imagine.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson