• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

great fish/seafood restaurant

beatricechambers

We tried a new restaurant, Opah's Grille in Peapack/Gladstone, NJ. It's across from the train station. My husband and I agreed we had the best fish there that we have had in ages. We went for lunch. He had a trout special and I had a lobster/shrimp/scallop salad. Usually, we both find that fish is often overcooked but here, it was perfect. We plan another trip next week, hopefully.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We used to like Doris and Ed's in Highlands.  The fish was fresh and very carefully prepared.  They had a great wine list, too and refreshingly professional service.  I haven't been there in several years, though, so I can't vouch for current conditions.  

(Edited by Sandra Levine at 10:48 am on Nov. 11, 2001)

Doris & Ed's is still very good, but the prices have risen significantly, prob ū per item in each of the last few years. Our dinner for four was 趚 plus wine, which I felt was very high. Most entrees are in the ษ+ range, apps in the ผ, desserts ů-10. Adds up. Throw in Ů drinks, and a ุ wine...

Good meal? Yes. Well served? Yes. Worth the bucks? Probably not. With several other good places nearby at 30% the cost, I'd reconsider before I would go back.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

We've been to Opah Grille for dinner, it was quite good most of our group felt.  If you want to try an out of the way seafood place, the Blu-Sea Cafe in Wayne is excellent.  A specialty is soft shell crabs prepared however you like.  I have had orange roughy, and a grilled teriyaki wahoo steak.  And I am most assuredly NOT an adventurous seafood person.  It's a BYO place, family run, and the desserts are prepared on site.  They have a seafood store next door (Lucy's Gourmet Seafood), which I have yet to try.  They also have other entrees that are not from the ocean -- chicken, veal.

• 1 year later...

Caldwell Seafood has a restaurant in front and a fish store in the back. The fish is very fresh and the preparations are inventive in the restaurant. The atmosphere is lacking and it's cash only, but they have a friendly waitress who tries hard. Good seafood is hard to find in Nj. I also recommend Orbis in Upper Montclair. It's better on a non-weekend night,

The Orginal Oyster right down the street from Doris and Ed's is rather good. A bit hidden in a marina but fresh seafood at good prices. Also not a hard table to get, even on a summer weekend. I enjoy their fried oysters and praline snapper, tastes better than it sounds.

• 2 months later...