• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nopales

So Rick Bayless (wait, is his name taboo?) says that if you grill up some cactus leaves, the grilling will "play... down cactus's habit of exuding a gooey, okra-like liquid. When paddles are grillled whole, you never see that liquid. And, if they're cooked thoroughly, the cactus paddles will show scarcely any stickiness when they're cut into squares."

So tonight, I grilled them, and I sure thought they were good and cooked through. But they were definitely slimey as all hell. Not that that was a problem, really--I'm intrigued by the texture, and don't much care. I'm just wondering if I missed something. Is there some prep thing I should have done to make them less slimey?

I cut them into rajas (if that's a proper name in relation to nopales), a wide julienne, about 1/2 inch wide, and 3 or 4 inches long, and steam them. Most of the goo seems to drain out. They still have a somewhat okra-ey/green beany texture, but I like them. I think they're best in some sort of stew rather than plain. I don't know how you like them. I'd say I only steam them 5-10 minutes. But I don't use a timer, just go by experience of when they're done and the goo seems to be exuded.

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

I don't know what's traditional, but I was always taught to boil the cleaned and cubed cactus with an onion for 8 to 10 minutes and then rinse. Slime has never been an issue.

I love them in scrambled eggs and salsa with lots of tortillas handy.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

The slimeness was never a factor in eating nopales. I grew up eating them with a side dish of shrimp patties covered in a mild chile sauce.

If you really want to know all there is to know about nopales, I highly recommend a book titled

"El Nopal: principe de la campina azteca", written by Sebastian Verdi. The book is printed in spanish, but tells you everything you would ever need to know about cactus pads, including recipes and poetry. I bought my copy at a bookstall in the Mexico City airport, but have seen it in hispanic bookshop food sections.

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop playing"

OK cool, I'ma look into this further. Thanks y'all. I like the taste, and have had them before at restaurants where they weren't slimy, so this caught me a little off guard. I'll give it a test.

mmm... that chile verde stew w/nopales looks great Extramsg.

Nice thread; I've always been intrigued by nopales but haven't cooked w/them or even eaten them yet. I've already learned more than I knew before. :smile:

I got the June/July Saveur today and they have a great article on the foods of Monterrey--including a recipe for "Pencas de Nopales Crujientes Rellenos de Queso" or "Crisp Cactus Paddles stuffed w/Goat Cheese & Monterrey Jack.

They say that stuffed nopales are a Lenten specialty in Monterrey but now are also eaten year round.

The nopales prep involves cleaning, de-thorning then sauteing briefly in hot oil. Then drain, season w/s&p and cool. Then they are slit to make a pocket for the cheeses (mixture of goat cheese and monterrey jack) and filled. Then dipped in egg, flour and breadcrumbs and pan fried.

They're served w/a chile-tomato sauce so the final affect is similar to a chile relleno.

(doesn't seem like these would be slimy at all...)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Nopales: my favourite food!

I do what Rancho-Gordo does: boil with an onion (and a bit of cilantro) until the slime just oozes away. Rinse et voila!

there are few things that nopales are not delicious in, to my mind: yummy with meatballs (albondigas) and chipotle-tomato sauce. delish with chicken and tomatillos. divine as a salad with diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro and goats cheese.

eat em in salsa, toss them in a taco, scramble them in eggs with chorizo, top them onto a tostada........

i've always meant to do the grilling and stuffing with cheese thing, but as i live in britain, fresh nopales are hard to come by and i am often so distracted when i'm rushing about in san francisco that i don't have a chance to take a moment, and stuff some nopales. i'd better put that right next trip!

x marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Yes, yes,

I've always loved them fire roasted. What I do after I have de-spined them, is keep the base intact while making slices from the base to the top, kind of like a hand with fingers now. After I roast them I cut into cubes and toss with white onion, organic cherry tomatoes and cilantro, seasalt and a squeeze of lime juice. A wonderful cold salad on a hot summer day scooped into hot tortillas or tostadas.

I will run out and the get the Saveur magazine. I've only heard about the stuffed nopales. One thing is certain, make sure the cactus paddles you buy for stuffing are thick enough to stuff.

I hope I can find some today.

Shelora

. One thing is certain, make sure the cactus paddles you buy for stuffing are thick enough to stuff.

But not too thick, right? The one time I had them when they were kind of funky is when I had a real thick paddle.

What about using two thin, baby paddles?

My cacti are going nuts right now and I love them at this stage when the spines are still rubbery and the flesh is so tender

I hope I can find some today.

Shelora

I hope you can, too!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Hello there,

What do you mean, funky? Stinky?

Since I only get the bigger varieties where I live, I need to know if I have been getting funky ones and not knowing it.

I guess the smaller ones would work, two together, but you would have to stick the two together with toothpicks before dipping in batter?

The store unfortunately didn't get any cactus this week, I'm hoping next week.

Has anyone out there made the recipe or any other recipe for stuffed nopales?

Please report.

Shelora