• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: adoxography - transiting Venus and Taylorville driveby

Thanks for an exciting and funny blog, adoxograph! Last year I bought a pile of books I didn't get to read, but I've decided they will be my summer treat this year . . . "The Elegant Universe," "The Fabric of the Cosmos," "Surfing through Hyperspace," and of course, "Astronomy for Dummies."

This weekend I'm going to make grilled burgers in your honor. I think I'll call them Brown Dwarf Burgers--piled high with caramelized onions. Or maybe Red Dwarfs, with grilled red peppers! Yeah!

I'll think of you every time I look at the stars! :cool:

Edited to ask: Any other astral burger ideas?

Edited by DoverCanyon (log)

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

can anybody who has been paying better attention summarize the loci of the various blogs?

my hasty retrospective survey reveals japan, u.s., canada, france, germany.  where else?

Britain, South Africa, Malaysia.

Don't forget New York, Dallas, Nashville, Long Island, New Jersey, Central New York...

Those locations are all in the U.S., Lucy. :raz::laugh:

I have a feeling Lucy is aware of the fact. Is there something wrong with the US? (Um, yeah, plenty, but as a blogging location I mean.)

EDIT: Um, not to spoil sport or anything, but couldn't this whole question be resolved with a quick glance at Soba's shiny new Foodblog Index?

Edited by balmagowry (log)

We only had time for apps before the movie, and most of our conversation revolved around trying to remember which movie is being referenced by Ronnie's sig.  I swear it's been driving me crazy all day.  We couldn't remember.  Still don't know....

We're putting the band back together... :wink::cool:

Does ours go to 'leven?

We only had time for apps before the movie, and most of our conversation revolved around trying to remember which movie is being referenced by Ronnie's sig.  I swear it's been driving me crazy all day.  We couldn't remember.  Still don't know....

Does ours go to 'leven?

Not quite. Think closer to Chicago :laugh:

Does ours go to 'leven?

Not quite. Think closer to Chicago :laugh:

Oh - duh! of course.

i8337.jpg

Hooray for little sandwiches. I mixed some dried tomatoes and basil into the goat cheese and used this stuff for most of the sandwiches. For variety I also did a few with cheddar cheese and mustard. As an added bonus, the lovely board that I'm working on here was made for me by Sarcasmo's dad, who also made our kitchen table and my computer desk. Nice, eh?

I went for salty/sweet with the walnuts - brown sugar, butter and a bit of salt.

Throw in some rice crackers wrapped in nori, fried chickens, dry white toast and those frozen reese's and I'm ready to go.

And completely starving.

--adoxograph

And speaking of Brother Ray-

"2000 bucks and it's yours. You can take it home with you. As a matter of fact, I'll throw in the black keys for free."

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

And as usual, I'll have to take an IOU....

Snuck in half a tuna sandwich with the leftover tuna from Tuesday, with the addition of pickles. The Fat Cat ignored it, but it got the attention of the skinny one. I guess that shows where we stand on the pickles in tuna controversy in this house.

i8338.jpg

I managed to fend her off before her nose actually hit the food.

Looks like we're ready to leave the cable fast world of Chicago and head for downstate dial-up.

Next time we meet, I'll show you the best best best lemon soft serve ice cream on the planet. I promise.

--adoxograph

Thanks for an exciting and funny blog, adoxograph! Last year I bought a pile of books I didn't get to read, but I've decided they will be my summer treat this year . . . "The Elegant Universe," "The Fabric of the Cosmos," "Surfing through Hyperspace," and of course, "Astronomy for Dummies."

This weekend I'm going to make grilled burgers in your honor. I think I'll call them Brown Dwarf Burgers--piled high with caramelized onions. Or maybe Red Dwarfs, with grilled red peppers! Yeah!

I'll think of you every time I look at the stars! :cool:

Edited to ask: Any other astral burger ideas?

If you really char the outside, you can call it a Black Hole....

wasn't there one in Australia?  Or am I in a state of early morning hallucination? 

Maybe it's just that I haven't had any tea yet.  I should go brush my teeth.

No, that was Abita Springs, Louisiana. :laugh:

i8303.jpg

Yes it was in Abita Springs, LA. By the same guy who was one of the developers of that fine beverage that appears in the above post. :wink::laugh:

It's a very small world. :smile:

can anybody who has been paying better attention summarize the loci of the various blogs?

my hasty retrospective survey reveals japan, u.s., canada, france, germany.  where else?

Don't forget New York, Dallas, Nashville, Long Island, New Jersey, Central New York...

I have a feeling Lucy is aware of the fact. Is there something wrong with the US?

I wasn't dissing the US. :laugh: It's just that whippy had already mentioned the US.

Michael aka "Pan"

I have a feeling Lucy is aware of the fact. Is there something wrong with the US?

I wasn't dissing the US. :laugh: It's just that whippy had already mentioned the US.

I'd be interested in seeing a breakdown of eGullerter's by nation in which they currently reside. Even more fun would be to get another chart showing what percentage of overall posts (even in certain areas) come from which areas of the world...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

No quotes here for we have arrived in Sunny Taylorville, county seat for Christian County, population 11,500! Biggest town around.

We've already had a lemon cone at the Tastee Treet but I just found out that we'll have what I believe to be a foodblog first - tonight we're going to the Demolition Derby!

Rock!

We've traded two cats for a dog, cable internet for dialup (so no pictures until later tonight) and of course, he bought whoppers in Dwight (pop 4400) rather than eat my sandwiches. One thing I will say about side of the highway Burger Kings in Dwight Illinois, the food's relatively fresh. At least the fries were. I refrained from having a partially gelatinated dairy-based beverage to wait for the Tastee Treet. totally worth it.

ruthcooks, you wouldn't be in New England or Cooperstown, NY now, would you? If you are, you've managed to track through the towns of my life quite well. :) The Country Kitchen is still here, although it wasn't much to speak of when we went there last time. I didn't get the special potato though. Have to try it again, since I imagine I'll continue to visit these parts.

We're having Sunday dinner out tomorrow at a place that had terrific catfish last time I was there - complete with all the requisite "caught in the pond out back" jokes. I hope it's still good, even if they did catch it there.

--adoxograph

Cooperstown is a cool town with possibly the best beer in the US - Omagong!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm 100% sure we've had a blog from Australia, and the person had a very nice home and did wonders with the food. I wish I knew how to search this board so I could find it, but still... I know we had one from Australia.

They've all been so good that it's hard to choose a favorite, but that one sticks out, as does Mayhaw Man's and Nessa's.

Oh, I know. And besides, we were all kidding around anyway.

Actually, though, I think it's a point that bears making. Referring to "the US," in the lump, is roughly equivalent to referring to "Europe" the same way. The US is half a continent. and it's always seemed kind of weird to me that it should all be one country, especially given that some of its states are bigger than whole nations on other continents. And yeah, though theoretically we're all divided by one language, we've got enough diverse regional identities and cultures to sink a fleet of battleships. How much sense does it really make to lump Mayhaw Man's distinctively Southern and distinctively Louisianian blog in the same category as my Lawn-Guylandy one, DoverCanyon's California Wine Country one, Nessa's Habanero-Chipotle Texan one, GG Mora's New England Thanksgiving one, Hathor's New York New York one, adoxograph's Astronomical one? And if anyone ever decides to tag Mongo and beguiles him into accepting, what will we get? India? Colorado? Both?

I put it to you that all these are as regionally diverse, and damn near as culturally diverse, as if they were all from different countries. As of course the forebears of their authors are. Size does matter, if only because there's so damn much space here that there's room for a whole cross-section of climates and traditions.

OK, so we have certain cultural stuff in common - increasingly so as McDonaldsism creeps over us all. All I'm saying is, having 10 US bloggers in a row does not necessarily make for the same degree of homogeneity as, say, having 10 Catalan bloggers in a row.

I'm 100% sure we've had a blog from Australia, and the person had a very nice home and did wonders with the food. I wish I knew how to search this board so I could find it, but still... I know we had one from Australia.

They've all been so good that it's hard to choose a favorite, but that one sticks out, as does Mayhaw Man's and Nessa's.

No need to search, now that we have Soba's Shiny New Foodblog Index pinned at the top of the forum. A quick glance at same reveals that the Down Under Blog was misgabi's - another one for me to look forward to reading.