• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbeque Sauce

MarkIsCooking

My favourite oddball ingredient for a tomato based BBQ sauce is Lovage. It will add a peppery celery like taste with a hint of anise. Lovage can be difficult to find but is easy to grow in your garden.

I always add some corn syrup or glucose to a tomato based BBQ sauce. It give the sauce that shiny glossy texture. But do not use glucose as the only sweetener, add others for flavour like molasses.

My favourite oddball ingredient for a tomato based BBQ sauce is Lovage. It will add a peppery celery like taste with a hint of anise. Lovage can be difficult to find but is easy to grow in your garden.

I always add some corn syrup or glucose to a tomato based BBQ sauce. It give the sauce that shiny glossy texture. But do not use glucose as the only sweetener, add others for flavour like molasses.

I never had lovage with anything but good romanian ciorba. my secret ingredient is dried black persian lemons -omani lemons.

Cheers, Sarah

http://sarahmelamed.com/

I work with Kraft BBQ Sauce and I actually use the new and improved Kraft Original BBQ sauce. It works prefect as a base to doctor up my own BBQ sauce. I like to add jalapenos, garlic, and some more salt and pepper to make it a little spicy.

I never had lovage with anything but good romanian ciorba. my secret ingredient is dried black persian lemons -omani lemons.

I've never had lovage at all but have always heard that the very inside tender light green leaves in celery stalks is a good substitute. Heard it was a popular herb back in Roman times, but I've never seen it. Do you grow it or can you find it in the market where you are?

Thanks

Rhonda

I make one where I puree Texas sweet onions (or Vidalia's) with a bit of orange juice, and then cook it with spices (paprika, ginger, garam masala, dried mustard, chile powder and others), a can of tomato paste, molasses &/or brown sugar, and cider vinegar. It's kind of thin, so I usually set it in an aluminum pan next to the meat so that it can thicken and pick up the smoke.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Today I made a quick barbecue sauce for grilled chicken. Briefly sauteed garlic in olive oil, ketchup, cider vinegar, worcestershire, yellow mustard, smoked paprika, onion powder, black pepper, and a couple splashes of leftover dark beer.

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

I used to start with a brand that I haven't seen in a long time - Chris and Pitts - as a base and add onion and garlic powders, brown sugar, black pepper, soy sauce and golden cream sherry. The sherry is the key!

Now I use Bullseye regular and find it's close enough to what I used to make that I don't bother any more. If I'm cooking for my son - who likes his sauce fiery, I will add some cayenne and sriracha sauce.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs