• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Death to brining

Busboy

My tried and true recipe is very simple:

1 gallon of water

1 cup of kosher salt.

As is mine since klink has the great good sense to use my recipe. :wink::biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Honestly, what you're doing and what you think has been brined is really off of what we're doing here. I routinely hear "this is the best chicken (or turkey) I've ever had" from people who've never had a brined bird. Not only that, I've been to fantastic restaurants where I've thought "hey, this chicken isn't half bad -- this dish would be perfect if they only brined it."

Hey -- I don't even know what I'm doing, how do you? :raz: Actually, I'm pretty sure out home brining solution came from somewhere on eGullet, and who knows where the chef at Corduroy gets his. But, as has been pointed out, there are many variables.

In addition, anyone with 2300 eGullet posts is probably so damn good in the kitchen you'd get "this is the best I ever had" whether brined or not. :laugh:

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Busboy, you're on. Then we should come post photos and testimonials here.

To be fair, I suggest we use the same type of bird. It would be a great experiment.

(Yeah, I realize this probably won't happen for a couple of months. But it sounds like fun!)

You've got yourselves a photographer. :smile:

Busboy, check out the roasted chicken at Palena. It's is the best $9 I have spent in a long time. I make a damn good roasted chicken, but I never knew it could taste like this. It may turn the tides in your brinning battle.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe