• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread, Bread and Bread

Dear Mr. MacGuire,

First let me say how sad I am that Le Passe-Partout has closed. Although I was far from a regular diner, some of the best meals I've ever had have been in your restaurant (particularly a confit de canard once at lunch that I still dream about).

I now live in the Eastern Townships and about once every six weeks would drop by the bakery to load up on bread, which we froze and then enjoyed for the months to come. What am I going to do now?? I have never had sourdough bread or walnut bread to compare with yours and now am down to our last loaf of sourdough, which I guard in the freezer like Fort Knox. (I'm not even mentioning the croissants, pastries, cheeses and mousse de foie de volaille....).

My question to you is: where in Montreal can I get bread comparable to yours? Au Pain Dore and Premiere Moisson are both okay, but a pale imitation of yours. Are there any other places you can suggest?

Thank you for the information you've shared thus far on eGullet and best wishes to you on your future ventures.

Bryan Tremblay

Knowlton, Qc

Bryan, this is a thorny issue for me. How can I judge my competitors yet remain politically correct?

I haven't really looked into the whole bread scene...

I saw some interesting baguettes at an outfit in Boucherville called, it seems to me, Pour Une Bouchee de Pain. They're made with French flour from Viron in Chartres.

Closer to you you, there's a guy named Denis Mareuges who runs an outfit called Owl's Bread in Mansonville. I know him, but have never had the opportunity to taste his stuff.

At least both these outfits are true artisans

Thanks and sincere best wishes

James

Dear Mr. MacGuire,

Thank you for your response. I will certainly have to check out those baguettes in Boucherville.

Yes I have bought stuff from the Owl's Head Bakery in Mansonville (about 20 minutes from here). Since I don't have to be politically correct, let me say this about that: their pastries and savories are excellent... but their bread, while good, can't compare to yours. Actually, their baguettes are quite good, but the sourdough and others are average.

Thanks again for all the information you shared on the website this weekend.

Bryan Tremblay

Knowlton, Qc