• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato Sandwiches

Varmint

...we had nice sourdough from the Silver Moon Bakery, tomato slices (denuded of their icky), hard-boiled egg slices, crispy lettuce leaves and homemade mayo.

MMMM.  Heaven.

K

Yep, that does sound like heaven.

Our tomatoes are probaly going to be ready in August. One of my missions this summer is to convince my housemate that homegrown tomatoes are one of the most delicious things on this earth - apparently she dislikes fresh tomatoes (she eats them cooked in sauce, though). I'm actually not sure if she's even had a homegrown tomato in her life. I love 'em. :wub:

Lunch today...

Two thick slices of grilled Pugliase rubbed with garlic with EVO brushed on one side, topped with chopped tomatoes from the garden (a mix of snow white, green grape and a red pear of some sort) with fleur de sel, pepper, EVO and some basil chiffonade.

heaven...

fanatic...

Lunch today...

Two thick slices of grilled Pugliase rubbed with garlic with EVO brushed on one side, topped with chopped tomatoes from the garden (a mix of snow white, green grape and a red pear of some sort) with fleur de sel, pepper, EVO and some basil chiffonade.

heaven...

Thanks a lot, malachi - now I have to wipe off all the drool on my keyboard after reading your post. :laugh:

God that lunch sounds stupendous...

I'm sorry, but on this side of the pond a classic tomato sandwich does NOT have mayo in it...definately, definitively NO MAYO.

Miracle Whip?

Yeah, great tomatoes suck on their own. Bread and vinegar only prove their novacaine like qualities.

For me, its definitely ripe Beefsteaks with anything but their own juice.

Tomatoes, maybe basil, maybe fresh moz.

Id say perfect tomatoes still have a week or two on the east coast.

I'm sorry, but on this side of the pond a classic tomato sandwich does NOT have mayo in it...definately, definitively NO MAYO.

Miracle Whip?

I don't know if I should start this but, Miracle Whip? There is only one commercial mayo and that would be Hellmans. Everything else is simply lubrication. As far as I'm concerned Hellmans is the only way to go on a tamater sandwich.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I don't know if I should start this but, Miracle Whip? There is only one commercial mayo and that would be Hellmans. Everything else is simply lubrication. As far as I'm concerned Hellmans is the only way to go on a tamater sandwich.

Never had Duke's, eh?

--

Never had Duke's, eh?

I have, its good but not Hellmans

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Never had Duke's, eh?

Them are fightin' words here in the South. :wink:

Oh, by the way, have you never heard of homemade mayo? That is what makes a blissful 'mater sammich become heavenly.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

mmmm....hold the bread.

tomatoes, blue cheese, and a good vinigrette. Yum.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've been making lots of tomato salads/salsas lately, consisting of tomatoes, EVOO, some sort of cheese (feta, smoked mozzarella, fresh mozzarella, goat, blue), fresh herbs, and sea salt, if necessary. For lunch today, I think I'll add some extra EVOO and put this in a still warm baguette.

Hot Damn!!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Fresh ripe tomatoes chopped into 1/4" cubes, fresh garlic paste, chopped fresh Basil, fresh thyme( just a little), chopped capers, sea salt, pepper and some good EVOO all mixed up and served on a toasted slice of good bread.

It starts off as an appitizer and ends up as dinner. Of course the only way to celebrate FTD (First Tomato Day) and mine is easily three weeks away, is a mater sammich, though...and yes, it must include mayo. Gawd, I can't wait!

Oh Man! I'm all out of tomatoes.

My mother's recipe and technique:

two slices of cheap store brand white bread

tomato slices

onion slices-Vidalia onion, please

MIRACLE WHIP-never Mayo, my mother despises real mayo

MARGARINE- never butter

s&p

Spread miracle whip on one slice of bread, spread margarine on the other. Sprinkle one of the prepared bread slices with pepper and the other with salt. Stack tomato and onion between bread slices and eat. Use several store brand paper napkins to wipe up chin juice.

I stray just a bit from her "recipe".

Crystal-white trash princess

We like the mooooon........Coz it is close to us...........

We like blue cheese dressing instead of mayo on tomato sandwiches and BLT's on occasion. Haven't had First Tomato Day yet, but last summer we practically lived on BLTs. A few years ago when we had a garden it was BBTs (bacon basil tomato).

Yum.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Never had Duke's, eh?

Them are fightin' words here in the South. :wink:

Oh, by the way, have you never heard of homemade mayo? That is what makes a blissful 'mater sammich become heavenly.

I make homemade mayo on occasion, but my mother didn't. Tomato sandwiches are about childhood food memories (besides great flavors and textures) for me. Thats why simplicity works, Wonder bread, great tomatoes, Hellmans, salt and pepper. Thats it. I've had them other ways, and they're good, but not the same .

Mmmmmmmmm, I want one of each (except for the cucumber sandwich with mayo - ick!)

The classic tomato sandwich of my ute is:

fresh tomatoes thinly sliced

Wonder bread (in adulthood I use a firm textured white bread)

a kiss of mayo (not too thick or it gets ookey)

salt pepper

I could eat at least two of these babies! :biggrin::biggrin:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Just had one; mine has to have cheddar on it.

Thick-sliced romas from Kroger (not great, but not horrible)

Three slices of Cheddar

Duke's

Salt

Dark wheat bread

nummy

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

This thread has me thinking of Maine and my Aunt's summer place on Lake Sebago. Started going there at age 6 months and spent every summer there through highschool and occasionally thereafter.

My mother made lettuce and tomato sandwiches three or four times a week for lunch. Local tomatoes and lettuce from a farm stand on the way to Naples, Me. Cain's mayonnaisse/. Old Settler whole wheat bread. At them off glass plates on the flat rocks that served as our beach. Washed down with water pumped from spring fed Sebago Lake. For me, the definitive tomato sandwich. Lettuce gave it some crunch.

Only problem. Had to wait an hour before going swimming again.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I started out by learning to love the tomato sanny on doughy white bread this way: lightly toast the bread, smear on a thick and generous amount of Mayo (Hellman's) next, add paper thin slices of really really ripe tomato- well salted and pepper almost to cover.

Today I am conflicted.

I hate Hellman's it tastes like fish to me!

Oh sure, I hear the chorus of a thousand voices singing "make your own".

sometimes at the end of a long day....I don't feel to. Any suggestions about commercial brands of Mayo worth eating?

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

What about trying Miracle Whip Bernaise?  :biggrin: .  Nice to see you beat me here.

Miracle Whip NEVER and nice to meet up with an old friend CC!

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who