• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian in Vancouver

merlin

Went last night. had a power failure in the Ridge. I have mixed opinions. The best thing was our waiter, he did about ten tables, seemlessly by himself. The pasta sauces were dodgy. I want to go back when they do Porketta.

Coop,

Me too! Let me know if you hear when they're doing that, and I'll do the same.

Arne

• 4 months later...
Many have raved about Cioppino. I have not been but I have read very good things on the board about it. Do a search, it was about a year ago someone from NY NY did a spread with photos.

Ciopinnos

I have been there a few times. The food is fantanstic. I would say one of the better meals I have had in Vancouver. My wives mushroom risotto was out of this world. Very high mark-ups on wine.

Derek

Ha! I agree, Rosco. Vieni qui spesso? :huh:

I studied at U of T and worked at Prego Della Piazza in Toronto for a number of years. Vancouver is regrettably mangiacake in comparison. Don't get me wrong, my eGullet pals, there are some great italian joints sprinkled around town here, and still some others that do great italian dishes from time to time.

:wub:The Best of Vancouver on any given Tuesday. :wub:

Quattro

Bis Moreno

Il Giardino

Cioppino's

Circolo (some of the plates)

Cin Cin

That being said...

È troppo costoso per me! It's too expensive!

So, where do you go to get real italian cooking and not have to pay through the nose? Pity we're not on the island as i would leap up and scream Zambri's! Or maybe even Il Terrazzo, which boasts one of the best italian wine lists I've seen this side of the rockies (thanks to sommelier Rob Scales).

It's a tough question and perhaps a different thread (andrew the usurper!). I had lunch today at Carmelo's on Marine in west van. vitello parmigiano, tortellini alla panna, and some carpacchio di filetto with a glass each of chianti and amarone. my bill? $60. It's fully seven hours later and i'm still revelling in the garlic.

best of luck, Rosco.

Andrew :cool:

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

this place is a pizza joint but they have other items such as italian soups and salads and such it's coming to you straight from naples. give lombardos a try. it's on first and commercial. it's in a little plaze. guy who opened it opened it with his wife. they had a divorce so he left and opened a new place across the stree called marcello's. they both use the same recipe for the crust and the sauce. even if you hate pizza it's a good expirience to go and just watch these crank out these pizza's by hand

bork bork bork

While on Commercial the other day getting my Gelato fix after an amazing Korean meal at Jang Mo Jib, my wife was talking with the owner of Dolce Amore. I'm telling ya, if you haven't been, you need to!

Anyway, my cutie was asking her what were THE places on Commercial Drive that had the best Italian fare. The following list was given to us by her:

Fredericos

Baci

Arriva

Lombardos

Marcellos

Haven't tried any yet, but they are on our "List".

Buon appetito! :raz:

PaoPao, if it is Frederico's Supper Club you're thinking about trying, they always have a 2 for 1 coupon in the Georgia Straight. I've never been there, but Italian food and dancing afterwards sounds like fun!

Thanks sweetie! Just found it. :biggrin:

Or maybe even Il Terrazzo, which boasts one of the best italian wine lists I've seen this side of the rockies (thanks to sommelier Rob Scales).

Do you mean La Terraza on Pacific? I was there a couple of years ago and I thought it was a beautiful d/r to eat in and the portions were big and delicious. (My dining partner was a concierge from a hotel so everything was being comped and perhaps they gave us better service than usual???) I don't hear much about them and am wondering was my only time there unusually good? Anyone been lately?

IMO, Lombardo's isn't bad except for its location and Marcello's food is pretty good, service very bad.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Or maybe even Il Terrazzo, which boasts one of the best italian wine lists I've seen this side of the rockies (thanks to sommelier Rob Scales).

Do you mean La Terraza on Pacific? I was there a couple of years ago and I thought it was a beautiful d/r to eat in and the portions were big and delicious. (My dining partner was a concierge from a hotel so everything was being comped and perhaps they gave us better service than usual???) I don't hear much about them and am wondering was my only time there unusually good? Anyone been lately?

IMO, Lombardo's isn't bad except for its location and Marcello's food is pretty good, service very bad.

Butter,

I believe it's in reference to the wonderful restaurant in Victoria.

I'm in Victoria tomorrow but no time for dinner :sad:

Haven't been yet, but some friends of ours have. While they say the food was disappointing the Antipasto plate is supposed to be excellent.

Another Antipasto plate that we like very much is at Capones. Along with a large Bacon Spinach Salad, their yummy bread, some vino, and good Jazz? Yeah baby, they hold a special place in my heart.....

Haven't been yet, but some friends of ours have. While they say the food was disappointing the Antipasto plate is supposed to be excellent.

Another Antipasto plate that we like very much is at Capones. Along with a large Bacon Spinach Salad, their yummy bread, some vino, and good Jazz? Yeah baby, they hold a special place in my heart.....

Update and Retraction ......

After the amazing Whisky and Cheese event, my sweetie and I went to La Terraza. Among other delicious dishes, we tried the Oso Buco which was just amazing. Everything we tried form the salads, pastas, and main courses we're very fresh and extremely tasty! Unfortunately they didn't have the Antipasto Plate available except in the bar.

Very good service and a cavernous wine selection we're also very much appreciated.

:smile:

^I believe Il Terrazzo is in Victoria, as montrachet said earlier. I've had dinner at Il Terrazzo and the osso buco was OK, but not incredible. The meat could have been more tender, but the marrow was soft and creamy.

Ahhh, your right Ling, good catch!

The restaurant that we went to is called La Terrazza located at 1088 Cambie St.

Here's their website: http://www.laterrazza.ca/pages/archive.html

What's with those numbers to the right on the wine list? My biggest fear about the place is most of us have seen the chef cooking semi naked. Although he seems to be in nice shape, I would rather not have that in my mind while sampling the osso buco.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

The numbers are on the left of the wines - I know picky, picky. But I can only hope they are bin numbers or some such thing. Otherwise, I can assure you Mr Foodie and I aren't going anywhere near the wine when we dine there for DOV next week.

But why would you put a wine list like that on a web site?? What am I missing??? But thanks for posting the link. I will dutifully report back next week.

Edited to add:

Why don't I ever get to see the chefs semi-naked? Coop clearly has a lot more exciting life than I do.

Edited by Foodie in Vancouver (log)

Cheers,

Karole

The numbers are on the left of the wines - I know picky, picky. But I can only hope they are bin numbers or some such thing. Otherwise, I can assure you Mr Foodie and I aren't going anywhere near the wine when we dine there for DOV next week.

Oh no. You saw right. Those are the bottle prices. We were there last year for a friend's 40th birthday celebration... thankfully, it was just appies and cocktails or we would've broken the annual vino budget in one evening. :blink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

What's with those numbers to the right on the wine list? My biggest fear about the place is most of us have seen the chef cooking semi naked. Although he seems to be in nice shape, I would rather not have that in my mind while sampling the osso buco.

Coop, thank you for reminding of one my worst cable TV moments :laugh: Yes, the naked chef :shock: I don't think I can ever eat there...is cooking naked a good thing? :huh:

I had to edit this because I just took a closer look at the wine list and actually spit water on my desk :shock: Good for a laugh but definitely not prices, although it is a pretty pricey list, but those are stocking numbers (I hope :hmmm:

Edited by peppyre (log)