• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jelly Beans

When I was in college, Reagan was in office and bought his Jellybeans in the same place I bought mine (Sutton Place Market, in Northwest D.C.). Of course you never actually SAW him buying it. Back then, I always just kind of assumed he sent George Bush (who lived down the street) to pick them up. :biggrin:

The Buttered Popcorn Jelly Belly was a revelation to me--the most unique flavor I'd ever had up to the time they introduced it.

Back when they were actually a smaller concern, Jelly Belly actually used to rotate their flavors fairly frequently. These days their flavors seem pretty static.

By the way... what the hell is this? This is the first I'm hearing of it.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

When I was in college, Reagan was in office and bought his Jellybeans in the same place I bought mine (Sutton Place Market, in Northwest D.C.). Of course you never actually SAW him buying it. Back then, I always just kind of assumed he sent George Bush (who lived down the street) to pick them up. :biggrin:

The Buttered Popcorn Jelly Belly was a revelation to me--the most unique flavor I'd ever had up to the time they introduced it.

Back when they were actually a smaller concern, Jelly Belly actually used to rotate their flavors fairly frequently. These days their flavors seem pretty static.

By the way... what the hell is this? This is the first I'm hearing of it.

Its their take on an M&M, except the candy shell tastes like any number of the flavors that the jellybeans are.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I know Jelly Bellys are good, but I also really like the Starburst fruity jelly beans. But that's also because I'm not a fan of the black jelly bean. I think loving/hating the black ones is a key division amongst jelly bean fans. Did Reagan like black ones?

dahlsk

Its their take on an M&M, except the candy shell tastes like any number of the flavors that the jellybeans are.

I've tried 'em - and they don't work for me. I'd rather have plain M&Ms with Jelly Bellys on the side.

My favorite Jelly Belly flavors are cotton candy, caramel apple, Dr. Pepper, margarita, and wild blackberry (which has a strange perfume-like quality that, to me, is reminiscent of Jujubes).

Kathy

Minxeats
http://www.foodloversguidetobaltimore.com/'>Food Lovers' Guide to Baltimore

Drove past vacaville a week or so ago, stopped in on the spur of the moment, and did the jellybelly tour. i had been there a few years ago when they first opened, and that was coooool, in that you could walk among the machines, esp the magical ones that look like washing machines or spin dryers and instead of drying your undies are busy whirling about little jelly lumps and covering them with a crispish candy coating. now things are considerably more corporate and no doubt more hygienic, too.

agree with carolyn about the christmas tree taffy demonstration (on a little television screen). it was so fascinating that when it was over our little group broke into applause.

my favourite flavours? bubble gum, watermelon, cherry, cinnamon, coffee, and some of the brightly coloured straightforward ones. there is one that tastes something like rain-forest or dishwashing soap that i find appealing in a weird way......and i'm sad to tell you that the roasted garlic flavour ones were oddly compelling.

but the dirt ones? spit spit spit. eeeeccccchhhhhh. what are they thinking, though audacious they are to go all the way flavourwise.

in general, jelly bellys pack so much flavour in one little candy lump. nice.

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

My grandmother hated Reagan so much that to this day, she will not allow jelly beans in her house (grandma is a small, dry roasted nut...why would any sane person deprive themselves of delicious candy because of partisan politics?)..

My faves are pink grapefruit, sour orange and (omg sooooo good) sour raspberry. It tastes exactly like a raspberry (the schnazberries taste like schnazberries!).

The buttered popcorn makes me want to vomit. No, really. Something in it gives me a sick headache. I've tried the JBz (the chocolate covered ones), and find them even less appealing than the every flavor beans. Saw a special on those not long ago, and yes, someone had to do PD&R in a major way. I think the earwax flavor is mostly old-fashioned bitters. God, I hope that I get a job like that with my food science degree!

Gourmet Anarchy