• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goop from Bakers Pride Ovens

Fay Jai

Hi All ---

My managers and I have a rather weird situation going on at our Pizzeria. We reheat our slices in a small Bakers Pride 1 deck mini oven. Basically, if slices have been sitting out over 2 minutes we reheat them in this slice warmer. We keep it at about 325 F. Lately, we have been noticing a strange, black, very icky substance dripping out of the oven from under the brick. :blink: We will be calling Bakers Pride on Monday, but we were having a meeting and I thought that I would just throw the question out here. We think that it is grease in the pizza that is just soaking into the brick. Has anyone ever seen this?

We theorize that the reason that it is not happening with our whole pies is that the crust is acting as a dam and is holding in all the oil from the cheese, pepperoni, etc. BUT when cut slices are put into the warmer there is nothing to prevent the grease from running off onto the brick. :huh:

Any thoughts/Suggestions? Should this be in another Forum?

Thanks!

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

The first thing that came into my mind is what has happened to me with mixers a couple times now.........dark sticky oiley drip, has been from the engines dripping down to the beaters. I'm not mechnically minded- I forgot what they called that oil, but it turned out to not be a food based ooze.

I don't know enough about your ovens to make a good guess. Your thoughts make sense........... you don't have any moving gears that would leak inside like my above example. Give us an update on what you discover from your wholesaler, o.k.?

Ewww..."Not a food based ooze..."

I'm a little scared... :shock:

Will update 2morrow...

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

You have a classic case of burnt grease ooze. The grease vaporizes condenses along with water on the sides of the oven and runs down the sizes and onto the bottom where it may find a place to exit the oven and drip out onto the counter. I have had this happen with two convection ovens, one a Cadco half sheet, the other I don't recall the make.

I had a tech take a look at the Cadco, he pulled the stone from the bottom and it was litterly cemented to the floor of the oven with burnt grease, he had to heat it to get it out.

Since then I learned to clean the oven every two weeks, removing the stone (a new one) and removing the high temp barrier pad the tech left for me to use, washing it (Dawn heavy duty grease cutter), allowing it to dry then replacing under the stone.

Whatever the material is, it is rated to 800 degrees and so far has worked just fine. No more puddles of black grease on the counter.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Well --- got a call into BP...Just awaiting their callback...

Just received a very nice call from Bob at Baker's Pride.

He confessed that he had never heard of this happening, but would be checking into it w/ their engineers...

More to come...