• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap Spicy Eats in Arlington? DC?

indy

Hi y'all. I just moved to Pentagon City (which seems rife with chain-food establishments, ugh!) and was wondering if any of you had recommedations for relatively cheap (I'm a summer intern) ethnic eats in the area. Specifically, I'm looking for good Thai, Indian (especially South Indian and snack foods), Korean, and African foods. Where do you guys get your spice fix? Do I need to travel to Adams Morgan and Bethesda for decent ethnic food?

Thanks

Go get the five-spice chicken at Cafe Dalat on Wilson Blvd in Arlington (across from the Clarendon Metro)--it's listed as an app, but you can ask for entree size. Cheap kickin food.

Also in that neighborhood is Hard Times Cafe; great well-spiced chili and Singh Thai (near Courthouse metro), which makes a kickin' catfish.

In DC, I've been getting my spicy food fix at Indique in Cleveland Park, where I'm in love with the lamb vindaloo.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

There are TONS of good ethnic places in NoVa with spicy tasty food. Specifically in and around Pentagon City, head a 1/2 mile south on Mt. Vernon Avenue, and you'll find some authentic tacquerias and other Latino eateries with home-made pupusas and the like. Go another 1/4 mile down and there's a decent Indian place on the right-hand side in a strip mall.

If you have more money to burn, try Woo Lae Oak for Korean food right smack in Pentagon City, across the street from the newish square. Best to go with at least 2 people to this place, where you'll often see Korean or other Asian-American families or businessmen eating up a storm.

Closer to your home, try the 23d Street "restaurant row" in Crystal City. There's no Indian, but we've got Pakistani, two Thai choices (I prefer Thai Smile to Top Thai), Vietnamese, several Italian places, and the Crystal City Sports Pub. Get the Wayne's wings at the Sports Pub if ya like spicy.

None of these are chains, none are pricy- and welcome to DC!

Closer to your home, try the 23d Street "restaurant row" in Crystal City. There's no Indian, but we've got Pakistani, two Thai choices (I prefer Thai Smile to Top Thai), Vietnamese, several Italian places, and the Crystal City Sports Pub. Get the Wayne's wings at the Sports Pub if ya like spicy.

None of these are chains, none are pricy- and welcome to DC!

The best spice on that street is at CCR!

I can understand if you might want a second opinion from someone who isn't the owner, so let me give a very strong second to Bombay Curry Company.

Up Glebe Rd is La Libela (Ethiopian) which is decent.

For spicy in Old Town Alexandria try Cajun Bangkok which, as its name suggests, serves Cajun-Thai fusion. Guaranteed to light a fire in your mouth (not to mention elsewhere).

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions...looks like there is a reason to explore the neighborhood after all. Cajun Bangkok...never thought I'd hear the two words together, but it sounds fascinating!

• 2 weeks later...

El Charrito Caminante (2710 n washington blvd), 1/2 a mile from Clarendon for dirt cheap, really good tacos. counters and stools only. my favs are the goat, beef, and chorizo tacos ($2), or the lorocco pupusa ($1.50 mexican herb and cheese.) you can ask for spicy...but you can also try the taco and say you like things hotter, and maybe they'll share their personal hotsauce w/you, which they make for themselves.

Bukhara (now called Sangam) at n glebe and washington blvd for indian.

i like the pickled hot peppers at lebanese taverna. and i like lebanese taverna. i go to the one in Westover, but there is one at Pentagon City.

-Jason