• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

shochu

• 10 years later...

Oh, look, it's another long-dead ricey, boozy thread ripe for resurrection.

Here we go: my second foray into shochu. Sort of. I mean, it's the first I've had since I got into sake.

DSC_0022_zpsrdll6deu.jpg

Says the label ...

Kuro Imo Shochu Kome Shikomi "Tekan"

This shochu is made from sweet potato (imo) and malted rice (kome). As with a few of the sakes I've been trying over the past few months, the bottle is adorned with a 'Prestige Sake Association' sticker. Whatever that means. Now, not having tried this stuff seriously before, I'm kind of making it up as I go along. I started with it lightly chilled.

There's a bit of classic rice booze to the aroma but it's much more restrained, much more closed than with a junmai sake. On the palate it's a lot harsher, even though the alcohol content isn't that high (25% APV). Peppery. Dry. Bitter. Umami. Booze. Not a fan.

Now, it's a spirit. There's not much booze there but, hey, why not add a drop of water? It doesn't seem to do much.

EDIT

I'm going to try this again at room temperature.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between