• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tosca Board Cookies

daybreakfive

I hope I am doing this right this time. I am looking for a recipe called Tosca Board, it is a pastry base and then a gooey almond topping but I don't know the amounts. Hope someone knows what I am talking about.

Edited by daybreakfive (log)

This is the recipe for tosca:

1 # butter

1# sugar

14 oz. lt. corn syrup

12 oz. lt. cream

Boil mixture to 220 F., and toss in 1# 4 oz. lightly toasted sliced almonds. Pour over prebaked sweet dough. Chill and cut.

Might this be something similar?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

There is also a similiar german recipe called Almond Butter Cake. Here is a recipe that is adapted from a book in German called" Cakes and Tortes" by Annette Wolter. My great-grandmother used to make this all the time. I remember going to visit her and the whole house smelled like almonds.

Pastry:

200g cream

100g sugar

350g Flour

1 packet baking powder

3 eggs

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Topping:

200g butter

150g sugar

6 tbsp. cream

150g sliced almonds

Mix the cream and sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Sift the flour and baking powder and mix into the sugar/cream mixture. Add the eggs one by one with the cinnamon. Spread the dough evenly on the pan. Bake for 10 minutes on the middle rack.

Heat the oven to 180C. Grease a baking tray (jelly roll pan) with butter. Spread the dough evenly in the pan. Bake for 10 minutes.

For the topping, melt the butter on low heat. Add the sugar, cream and almonds and mix well. Spread on the pre-baked dough and place in the oven for an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into 16 slices and place on a baking rack to cool.

Edited to add "sliced almonds".

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

There is also a similiar german recipe called Almond Butter Cake. Here is a recipe that is adapted from a book in German called" Cakes and Tortes" by Annette Wolter. My great-grandmother used to make this all the time. I remember going to visit her and the whole house smelled like almonds.

Pastry:

200g cream

100g sugar

350g Flour

1 packet baking powder

3 eggs

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Topping:

200g butter

150g sugar

6 tbsp. cream

150g almonds

Thank you for sharing your family's recipe Swisskaese--it sounds like a delicious recipe (cream, almonds, butter, sugar...) quick to make also.

This may be something standard I'm not aware of--but what does "1 package of baking powder" correspond to?

Do you know the amount in tsp or european measure? (If I had to guess as a starting point, I guess I'd try 1 tsp...)

Thanks

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"