• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adopt a Prosciutto

I've got about 3 lbs of meat and 2 lbs of bone left.  It was 13.5 lbs before I started carving.

About how much weight do you think was trimmed off as "rind"? For a second I thought we'd eaten 8.5 lbs of prosciutto :blink:

ditto to Abra's raves by the way. I'd had a bit of commercial prosiutto the day before & this was so much meatier/richer in flavor.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I've got about 3 lbs of meat and 2 lbs of bone left.  It was 13.5 lbs before I started carving.

About how much weight do you think was trimmed off as "rind"? For a second I thought we'd eaten 8.5 lbs of prosciutto :blink:

About 2.5 lbs was rind and extra fat, so we went through 6 lbs. I've saved the fat, basically to be used wherever duck or bacon fat might normally be appropriate. The rind is pretty useless for human consumption, but a friend's dog is wild for the stuff.

The bone will go in the stock pot when I get all the meat off. I don't have definite plans beyond that, but would love to hear suggestions.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I think I'd make a demi-glace with the bone, that way you can add a little bit to all sorts of stuff, greens and beans being chief among them. After all that work, I think you should make it last as long as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
The rind is pretty useless for human consumption, but a friend's dog is wild for the stuff.

No doubts, that lucky dog.

I have been following this thread from afar. The photos from the curing process right through to the final product are excellent. I am sad that there is nothing like this in Vancouver, but maybe some day Salumi will cross the border.

Anyway, congrats on the amazing-looking proscuitto. Any plans for a second, or after all that work is it preferable just to purchase the final product?

I heard a rumor that Armandino may be stopping the "adopt a prosciutto" program, but replacing it with some simple cooking classes ala how to make gnocchi etc. Anyone heard anything concrete?

I heard a rumor that Armandino may be stopping the "adopt a prosciutto" program, but replacing it with some simple cooking classes ala how to make gnocchi etc.  Anyone heard anything concrete?

There was an aritcle in the Times (PI?) a week or so ago that said exactly that. Apparently he can no longer spare the storage space it requires to do the adoption program. The most startling think in the article however was that some of the prosciuttos were apparently 'orphaned' after their 'parents' just stopped showing up to take care of them...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I heard a rumor that Armandino may be stopping the "adopt a prosciutto" program, but replacing it with some simple cooking classes ala how to make gnocchi etc.  Anyone heard anything concrete?

He has one scheduled at Dish it Up in Magnolia - long ago sold out - before I got the brochure.

SOLD OUT!

Its too bad this thread lies in the Pac NW forum - its really something that I wish everyone from our larger eGullet community could see. Thank you for sharing the pictures from beginning to delicious end. I could nearly taste the final product. Incidentally, are there any developments with what you decided to do with the bone? I think a demiglace is an outstanding idea and should pay dividends for a long time to come.

Thanks again,

Chirag

Its too bad this thread lies in the Pac NW forum - its really something that I wish everyone from our larger eGullet community could see.

If it troubles you so much, I don't think that Darren would mind if you cross-post to this thread.

I can't really see the problem with this thread being located here, though: It's a Seattle-based merchant offering this opportunity to his Seattle-area patrons.

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Its too bad this thread lies in the Pac NW forum - its really something that I wish everyone from our larger eGullet community could see.

If it troubles you so much, I don't think that Darren would mind if you cross-post to this thread.

I can't really see the problem with this thread being located here, though: It's a Seattle-based merchant offering this opportunity to his Seattle-area patrons.

Oops, I hope you didn't take my post as a criticism - I really meant for it to be complimentary. I'm not going to cross-link Darren's post to the other parts of the Forum - I was just intending to say that this is a really fabulous thread. Thanks,

I would LOVE a sausage making class from Armandino! That would perfectly complement the Culinary Communion charcuterie class I'm taking next month.

I don't have enough room for a dedicated prosciutto refridgerator like Darren :biggrin: , but I do have "Barbie's fridge" which is currently used for chocolates, but might fit a small chain of sausage...

Is there any way for someone to tell me the ratios of salt, dextrose and cure #2? I make my own cured meats, but rather than waste a few legs finding the right salt/cure ratio it would be easier if i was just told what the formula was.

thanks

jason

That wasn't spelled out at all clearly, at least not in the session I was in at Salumi. I could look at my notes to tell you the exact total weight of rub but not the details of the mix, which Armandino prepared in advance and acted a bit secretive about. :huh: