• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold Stone Creamery

I have only been to a Cold Stone in Seattle and will add three points (one positive and two negative):

Pro: one nite while a long line was forming the manager/owner came out and addressed the line saying how he appreciated them coming out that nite and that the staff would be 'right with them'. I think this shows appreciation for the customer's business.

Cons:

1) The sell-up was VERY obvious. Would you like that in a waffle cone or a waffle cup (and the tone wasn't "would you like either of these options" more "as if those are your only two options")

2) The singing (at least is Seattle) isn't random... it's done whenever the statt receives a tip.

I'll be moving to Madison WI soon--looking forward to easy access to good custard there.

I've never been to Wisconsin, but I know in Missouri the ice cream is already better than the east coast product by a large factor, so Wisconsin ought to be a slam dunk.

Cold Stone ice cream is pale and lifeless compared to locally produced offerings here in Wisconsin. I'd say if you really have a hankering for M&Ms, for heck's sake buy a bag at Target and eat them. If you want a frozen dairy treat, do yourself a favor and get a frozen custard.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

2) The singing (at least is Seattle) isn't random... it's done whenever the statt receives a tip.

hah! so basically..never tip them and they'll never sing? sweet.

Big old-time Steve's fan (the one on Columbus at 75th(?)) and so hearing about the new mix-in, went over to the CSC on 2nd and 86th. Massive line. Instead of helping the line move, they were singing. I was hoping for ice-cream, not stand-up and left. Also not a big fan of spit in my ice-cream (as they were loudly singing WHILE preparing food)

Edited by danger_doug (log)