• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alinea

chefg

Good Luck and Best Wishes on the new venture, chefG!

I can't wait to read about and possibly see the new project.

I still play that 'Into the Fire' episode at least once a month.

I know it will be great.

2317/5000

Chef G, I am positive that your culinary endevaors will surpass any expectations, Best of Luck and Cogratualtions.

Mel

Edited by M65 (log)

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things, Bordeaux

makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them." Brillat-Savarin

• 4 weeks later...

First of all congradulations on a great run at Trio Chefg. I have heard a rumor (or a truth) that a space nears Trotter's was selected for Alinea. Anyone got the info on this? Again congrats on your sucess and best of luck in every thing you do Chef Perkey.

Some Alinea news from Chicago Magazine's Dish...

Grant Achatz has decided on a location for his new restaurant, Alinea: It’ll be at 1723 North Halsted Street, mere blocks away from the master, Charlie Trotter’s

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Some Alinea news from Chicago Magazine's Dish...
Grant Achatz has decided on a location for his new restaurant, Alinea: It’ll be at 1723 North Halsted Street, mere blocks away from the master, Charlie Trotter’s

=R=

I like that!

2317/5000

You can follow this link Alinea to view part one of three of the Alinea website.

Keep in mind it may take an extended amount of time to load on some computers.

Moderator Note...edited to provide hyperlink

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea

GREAT opening page for the 'site!!!

Can't wait for the rest.

Also, I have to tell you, Chef, I was rereading the F.L. chapter of 'Soul of a Chef' last week ( the chef I work with had dinner at F.L. last week, his mind is blown, his next two destinations are going to be your new place and El Bulli) and I was blown away again at the impression you made on M.R. at a time that must seem like long ago.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I can't wait to see the next evolution in what you're achieving with your cuisine.

2317/5000

• 2 weeks later...

It is interesting to see what chefs like Grant Achatz, Homaro Cantu, and perhaps Graham Elliot Bowles starting next month (although I only have knowledge of his cuisine through articles and his website) are able to do in a city like Chicago. These chefs are doing more than just running a restaurant, cooking exciting dishes, and trying to make a name for themselves, but they are seriously writing a new chapter in culinary history. Let me be clear, it is not just them trying to do such a thing in the global landscape, but they are the only ones stepping out and thinking outside of the box in Chicago. Yes, there is Charlie Trotter, Rick Tramonto, Sandro Gamba, Paul Kahan, and a slew of other very talented and innovative chefs, but they are not....well......to blatantly put it - WEIRD! Trotter is king, don't get me wrong, the impact that he has not only made in this city, but in the world is tremendous. However, he is now a member of the old gaurd.

What Grant Achatz and Homaro Cantu are doing is something ahead of our time, but to many the future is now. And what is truly more amazing is that they are pulling this off in Chicago. I am 26 years old and I have lived in Chicago my entire life. I understand the culture, the societal structure, what people like and don't like. Chicagoans are not the type that like things to be different. They fully expect that each morning when they wake up, they will wash up, dress, go to work, earn their pay, come home, wind down, and do it all over again each week day. When the weekend comes, they will do whatever they like, and they will be prepared to start the work week again. Chicagoans like to have things to stay the same. How long as Daley been mayor, again? So, to have chefs like Achatz and Cantu and do this very wierd, but exciting cuisine in Chicago and pull it off is a feat in itself.

Cuisine and food to me is more than just something to satisfy my hunger and pay my bills. It is something that I measure my memories by and it is also a way of life. Cuisine can be transcending. It can become more than merely food stuffs, It can be pushed to new limits, stretched, broken, and brought back together again. It has no limits.

So, the reason for my post is to state my respect and admiration for these new breed of chefs. I am excited by their vision and I will enjoy the ride.

Fellow eGullet members,

We have launched an exciting new project with the Alinea team. :smile:

We, along with Chef Grant and the Alinea team, will be providing in-depth coverage of Alinea as it progresses toward its opening in early 2005.

For the 'story thus far' and continued discussion of Alinea, please visit the newly-created forum in our Special Features section...

The Alinea Project

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com