• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

XELLENT

i7823.jpg

http://www.xellent.com/

I received this bottle as an evaluation sample from our friends at Spirit of Hartford, who are now importing this Swiss-Made vodka into the US.

According to the website, this vodka is made from bread-quality Swiss rye and then is distilled to 96 percent alcohol in a small batch alembic still. It then goes thru a second phase in which the spirit goes thru purification in a column still with 45 plates, after which it is distilled a second time. After resting for several months, the distilled spirit is cut with water coming from the Titlis Glacier at the heart of central Switzerland resulting in an 80 proof Vodka, and then the product is filtered several times.

The result is spectacular -- this vodka has a very clean taste, almost a little sweet. I would compare it favorably with the $40 and up specialty vodkas out on the market such as Belvedere, which is also Rye-based, as well as Grey Goose, which is a multigrain vodka and has been lauded for its 5-step distillation process and cleanliness of taste.

the packaging as you can see is also pretty cool -- they are clearly going with the "Swiss Army" motif here. The vodka itself is clear but the bottle is stained that red color.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

What's the retail price on this, Jason?

Good question. That info was not supplied in the press release.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

BTW, here is an interesting factoid from the press release as to why Switzerland has never entered the spirits market:

Up until the late 1990’s, it was illegal to distill grains grown in Switzerland. This law changed in 2002 and the first ever, only SWISS VODKA was created. DIWISA (Distillerie Willisau SA), a family owned distillery north of Lake Lucerne, Switzerland, and near the Swiss Alps, is proud to present.

the packaging as you can see is also pretty cool -- they are clearly going with the "Swiss Army" motif here. The vodka itself is clear but the bottle is stained that red color.

Yes, I agree.

Years ago, I remember being asked by many about Bombay Sapphire -- if it really was that beautiful colour. I know this bottle will spark many of those same questions. :rolleyes:

Really.

The bit of sweetness must be attributed to the glacial water. Rye based vodkas are a bit spicy. I seem to enjoy the wheat or wheat blends which softens and sweetens it up as well. However, sometimes a potato based vodka often is in order as I really enjoy Glacier.

Yipes. Yet another vodka. There's a glut and I wonder if the market will or has become over saturated with the amount of choices, despite how delicious many are being distilled and offered for sale.

What's the retail price on this, Jason?

Good question. That info was not supplied in the press release.

1) product will be available in the US end of july beginning of august

2) price is $35

• 1 month later...
Dale DeGroff, master mixologist and author of “The Craft of the Cocktail”, has joined forces with the national importer, The Spirit of Hartford, LLC to introduce XELLENT VODKA this summer in the United States.

The initial introduction will be held as part of Swiss National Day, at Pier 54 on the Hudson on July 31st from 5pm to 10pm. The Swiss community in New York, for the first time invites New Yorkers and friends to celebrate Switzerland’s 713th birthday.

Dale DeGroff Introduces Xellent Vodka and Celebrates