• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"celebrity" chefs' restaurant reviews

sdj3

I am still new, so please move this if it's in the wrong forum... :wink:

I was recently reading a review in a very large newspaper for a Jean-Gorges restaurant, and I noticed it didn't list the names of the chef de cuisine or pastry chef... I am friends with one of the chefs, otherwise I may not have noticed. Which brings me to my question: is this the common practise, since most of the menu is presumably the work of the celebrity, even though he doesn't really ever cook there? Or does it vary by critic?

Edited by sdj3 (log)

If you're talking about the review of Spice Market in the New York Times, we had quite a lot of discussion of omissions here.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

As it appears you wanted to post in the Texas forum, and thought you had posted in the Texas forum, I've moved the thread to the Texas forum, so there's no need to repost, but my post may explain the last two posts. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Thanks, Bux.

sdj3 -- welcome to eGullet and to the Texas Forum. It's okay to name newspapers and names names when it comes to critics, also. Do you have a link to the review? That would be interesting and helpful.