• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm in Love with My New Furi Knife

JAZ

I've been waffling about buying a hollow-ground Santoku knife for a quite a while, trying to decide whether it was worth the money, since I already have a decent knife collection. I'd finally decided not to, when the Furi knife guy came to the store (Sur La Table, where I work) for a demo/training. I have to admit that I'd dismissed the Furi line, because I'm not a fan of the all-metal knives I've tried (Global and Wusthof's Culinar line), and I ordinarily like some weight to my knives. The Furi knives are all metal and very light.

But then the Furi guy shows up and demo's the knives, introduces their new hollow-ground East-West knife, and leaves a sample to try. I'm smitten, but not thrilled about spending another $80 on a knife (the price on the original, non-hollow-ground edge version), so I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need it.

Then we get it in the store, and lo and behold -- it's got this fantastic introductory price of $59.95, which means I get it for about $44.

You've guessed the rest, right? I bought it, and now I'm planning my meals around the amount of chopping and slicing required. Salsa, tabbouleh, sauteed onions (didn't really need them, but I just wanted to slice onions). I feel like I'm cheating on my Messermeister chef's knife, but I can't help it.

It's just so wonderful -- really comfortable, light but balanced so the blade behaves like a much heavier knife.

Anyone else have one? Anyone else in love?

Furi East-West knife

Anyone else have one? Anyone else in love?

Furi East-West knife

I do. I am!

I bought myself one of these about 2 months ago and I find myself using it again and again. I agree with your rave revue.

What I particularly like about it is how smooth it is on top as compared to a Global, for instance. I've used Globals and I find that they irritate the base of my right index finger.

The Furi rests comfortably against that spot, cuts cleanly and is very nice to work with.

Congrats on your new knife. As my mother would say "Use it in good health!".

And didn't we meet at IACP? The infamous Gouda error at the Beer and Cheese tasting? Recently had an Enkater aged Gouda (hope my spelling of that is correct!) and it was delicious!

Stephanie Kay

"I feel like I'm cheating on my Messermeister chef's knife, but I can't help it."

Ahh, that just cracked me up. I have a reasonable collection of very good knives, and I know the feeling. You open the drawer, and hope the other knives are not looking when you make your selection.

I thought it was just me.

Aw-main: use it in good health.

The Santoku is just about the only one I don't have -- not included in the set I bid on (and won!) at IACP. :blush: I already had a paring knife, bought just to check it out, and I loved it: the grip is sooooooooooooo much more comfortable than Global (that heel eats into my hand after only a couple of minutes' use). So I bid on the set, with a bird's beak parer, 3" parer, boning knife, slicer (and fork eh :hmmm:), all-purpose serrated, and 8" chef knife, all in a really cool-looking block with sharpening fingers attached. Since it came, I've been having a blast! I find the weight somewhere in between Messermeister (yes, my first true love also) and Global -- the cute one I thought I was really lucky to land a date with, but who turned out breaking my heart (or at least hurting me in the long run :sad: )

But the best thing is that HWOE loves using the chef knife. :wub: I've been telling him for years that the knives he likes to use for making salad are really dangerous (too light, not sharp enough, lousy serrations that will give a bitch of a cut if they slip) -- but he didn't like any of mine (not even :shock: the 8" Messermeister :shock: ) so he wouldn't abandon those crappy knives. But now that he's tried the Furi chef knife, that's the one he wants to use. :biggrin:

Meant to add: although a bit OT: maybe we should put together a proposal for a session at next year's IACP, on the value of Internet food discussion sites . . . with a BIG emphasis on eGullet. :laugh:

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

But then the Furi guy shows up and demo's the knives, introduces their new hollow-ground East-West knife, and leaves a sample to try. I'm smitten, but not thrilled about spending another $80 on a knife (the price on the original, non-hollow-ground edge version), so I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need it.

Then we get it in the store, and lo and behold -- it's got this fantastic introductory price of $59.95, which means I get it for about $44.

You've guessed the rest, right? I bought it, and now I'm planning my meals around the amount of chopping and slicing required. Salsa, tabbouleh, sauteed onions (didn't really need them, but I just wanted to slice onions). I feel like I'm cheating on my Messermeister chef's knife, but I can't help it.

It's just so wonderful -- really comfortable, light but balanced so the blade behaves like a much heavier knife.

As someone who runs a very large inbound call center taking calls from infomercials I can say, with some degree of certainty, that you have a bright career ahead of you writing infomercial copy if you ever choose to do it. :laugh::laugh:

But wait! There's More!

For only 3 easy payments of 14.95 (plus shipping and handling) you can recieve Jaz's "Chopping and Dicing with Jaz!", our "Jaz-zy Cutting Board, and as an added bonus (this is usually something left over from another add that no one wanted) we will throw in "The Eggstractor"- and 39.95 value!

Call Now! Operators are Standing By!

:wink::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I have a Furi paring knife and the only thing I don't like about it is that the handle is so large in relation to the blade. Here in Australia Furi is a really popular brand, being made here, and I keep on thinking about getting some more as I'm looking to replace my Wusthofs. I especially like the chef knife and the boning knife but I'm not sure about the angle of the boning knife. Any thoughts?

The Santoku is just about the only one I don't have -- not included in the set I bid on (and won!) at IACP. :blush: I already had a paring knife, bought just to check it out, and I loved it: the grip is sooooooooooooo much more comfortable than Global (that heel eats into my hand after only a couple of minutes' use). So I bid on the set, with a bird's beak parer, 3" parer, boning knife, slicer (and fork eh :hmmm:), all-purpose serrated, and 8" chef knife, all in a really cool-looking block with sharpening fingers attached.

I'd forgotten that you bid on the set -- how cool that you got it.

We only carry the "East-West" (they don't like to call them Santokus) in a couple of sizes, so that's the only one I've used.

Furi is coming out with an improved/expanded version of the Fingers, with three sets of "fingers" that pop into a base (which will fold up for easier storage) -- a set of tungsten (?) prongs for actual sharpening, the diamond fingers for honing, and stainless fingers for maintenance.

Hm. Nice. I'll look for one I can hold.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

They don't seem to have these knives on the SLT website. We have a SLT store here but I don't know if they carry them - I don't recall seeing them there.

I really don't need any more knives, but I can just go play with it at the store... right?

I am familiar with the anthropomorphization of one's knives. I feel guilty when talking about my Bunmei in front of my Wusthof. I also think Wusthof steel has it out for me - I love the knives but they're also the only ones I've seriously cut myself with. Hmm, could it be jealousy?

Jennie

JAZ... DAMN YOU! I don't really need another knife!

Uh... Do you think the Sur La table here in Houston will have them?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I have a Furi paring knife and the only thing I don't like about it is that the handle is so large in relation to the blade.

That's actually one of the things I like about it. I have a tendency to stiffness in my hands, and the less I have to tighten up my grip, the better. (As an aside, does anyone know anything about the stuff Oxo puts out?) Also, contrary to what Global would have you think, the smooth, fatter handle is still fairly "grippable" when my hands are wet.

I guess I'm still a child of the Sixties. I now keep my knives out on the counter, mixed up in two different blocks, one big happy commune. :raz:

Here in Australia Furi is a really popular brand, being made here, and I keep on thinking about getting some more as I'm looking to replace my Wusthofs.

Furi knives are made in China, always have been. Not necessarily a bad thing, but Furi do seem to talk up their Aussie heritage and avoid the reality that they sell a very good 100% Chinese made product.

Details in the furifaq here: http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/ul...ore/furifaq.htm

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

how do you intend to sharpen your new kitchen companion when the time comes - is it any more difficult to have a proper edge applied - do you have to seek out a special pro accustomed to working with the Furi or the santoku blade?

Edited by memesuze (log)

They don't seem to have these knives on the SLT website.  We have a SLT store here but I don't know if they carry them - I don't recall seeing them there.

I really don't need any more knives, but I can just go play with it at the store... right?

JAZ... DAMN YOU! I don't really need another knife!

Uh... Do you think the Sur La table here in Houston will have them?

As far as I know, all the Sur La Table stores should have it, but it's probably not on the website yet, because it's fairly new. SLT doesn't carry the full line of Furi knives, though.

So, I see that Cooks Illustrated reviewed Santoku knives and rated the Furi (without the granton edge) as "not recommended." Said the handle was too big and clunky and the blade was "dull."

Okay, I know knife handles are a very personal thing, and I can see them saying that. But a dull blade? What -- they got a used model?

Whatever.

My knife sharpener guy (what a guy!) told me that some knives need to be sharpened when you buy them.

Don't worry, JAZ, I believe you.

Oh, I think I'd only start worrying if the folks at CI ever agreed with my opinions. :rolleyes:

I'm just surprised at the "dull blade" comment, because mine was so sharp I sliced through my dish sponge the first time I washed it.

But that's interesting about having to sharpen brand new knives -- I never knew that. Is it because the manufacturers don't put a final edge on them on purpose, or that they aren't stored properly, or some other reason?

My knife sharpener guy (what a guy!) told me that some knives need to be sharpened when you buy them.

Don't worry, JAZ, I believe you.

Oh, I think I'd only start worrying if the folks at CI ever agreed with my opinions. :rolleyes:

I'm just surprised at the "dull blade" comment, because mine was so sharp I sliced through my dish sponge the first time I washed it.

But that's interesting about having to sharpen brand new knives -- I never knew that. Is it because the manufacturers don't put a final edge on them on purpose, or that they aren't stored properly, or some other reason?

The folks who tell you that new knives need to be sharpened right out of the box are generally, in my experience, real knife nuts. Most folks I know find their knives are never as sharp as when they're new, because they neglect their knives from then on. I think "sharp enough" is a fairly relative state of mind.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

My Furi knife was fun and then it got very dull very quickly and it lost all its charm. Now I'm into Mac knives (as are Thomas Keller, Charlie Trotter and Jamie Oliver). They stay sharp much longer and they are easy to keep sharp with a ceramic sharpening rod.

You can have a look at them at www.macknife.ca. Oh and on top of that they're cheaper than the Furi.