• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oil/Gasoline Prices and Food

But...it's hard to complain when you see it like this: we still have the lowest gas prices of any nation in the world.

That's actually not true (assuming Bicycle Lee is speaking of the U.S), although it is low compared to most of Europe.

touche...

isn't dairy price affected by season too? I've heard that cows produce less milk in the hotter months.

Edited by Bicycle Lee (log)

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Personally, I haven't had to curtail any of my activities because of these increased energy costs, but then I live in a city and drive a Toyota (and as seldom as possible anyway). Just about everything I need is within a 5 mile radius. Nevertheless, I think I need to find a way to conserve energy more than I do. And yet am selfishly unwilling to give things up. Sometimes strange things.

It's not just running the oven an hour to bake a potato for one to have with a pan seared steak instead of making a week's worth of casseroles on the same energy dime. It's really stupid things like putting in energy efficient window replacements to reduce my horrendous heating bill because I'll miss the crinkly window glass that throws wonderful patterns on the walls and ceilings (especially in the dining room to keep it food related). It's self indulgent, I know.

So where are other places to save energy (and its costs) that are less important than good food and crinkly window glass? Has anyone tried instantaneous hot water heaters? Solar or wind energy? Hybrid cars? Care to share your experience with us? Are the fabled savings real?

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

And yet am selfishly unwilling to give things up. Sometimes strange things.

It's not just running the oven an hour to bake a potato for one to have with a pan seared steak instead of making a week's worth of casseroles on the same energy dime.

So where are other places to save energy (and its costs) that are less important than good food and crinkly window glass? Has anyone tried instantaneous hot water heaters? Solar or wind energy? Hybrid cars? Care to share your experience with us? Are the fabled savings real?

About a year ago, I got tired of using my oven for a single baked potato. On my annual shopping binge at the local cookware emporium sale, I purchased a fantastic DeLongi Turbo Convection toaster oven. It's about twice the size of a toaster, and functions as a toaster, broiler, oven, and convection oven. I use it for toast, baking hot dishes, roasting small cuts of meat and, yes, that single baked potato. One of the best purchases I've ever made, and I reccommend it for any household of one or two people. It did cut my electric bill considerably, enough to nearly pay for itself in the first year.

Now, if only I could stop referring to it as my Suzy Bake Oven.... :raz:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”