• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My first Chik-fil-A

Artichoke

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Having had none of the above, could you explain more of the difference?

Having only had Chick-Fil-A, their chicken has a thin coating, and is fried, but not terribly crunchy because that coating doesn't have much texture. From what I see advertised the others have more of a thick coating as you'd expect of fried chicken, providing more of a "crunch".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 9/29/2023 at 10:16 AM, BeeZee said:

Having only had Chick-Fil-A, their chicken has a thin coating, and is fried, but not terribly crunchy because that coating doesn't have much texture. From what I see advertised the others have more of a thick coating as you'd expect of fried chicken, providing more of a "crunch".

Yes. That's it. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 10:16 AM, BeeZee said:

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Yes. That's it. 

Indeed. Chick-fil-A itself tacitly acknowledged this in a previous slogan: "We didn't invent the chicken, just the chicken sandwich." 

• Like 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

• 3 months later...

was out and avou doing a few errands

CAF was one blok away , so I tried it.  breakfast menu time

spicy chicken biscuit

the chicken was hot ( temp ) crispy with good spice and heat.

'tender , moist mot greasy

the biscuit was tender and fluffy  , but here was no ' sauce ' on it , nor pickle  so mouth feel ws a bit dry

took it home  added  dollop os mayo , which helped.

the chicken was very nice 

so if you are near a CAF  and like chicken , its worth a try

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, rotuts said:

the biscuit was tender and fluffy  , but here was no ' sauce ' on it , nor pickle  so mouth feel ws a bit dry

In my limited Chik experience, pickles are included on the sandwiches but not the breakfast biscuits. In either case, you always need to request sauce, otherwise they come nekkid. They used to give you as many sauces as you wanted but started charging 25 cents for requests that exceed the 2 free sauces on a breakfast biscuit and 3 on sandwiches but it kind of depends on who you ask and how much you’re asking for. 

Edited to add that I like honey and hot sauce on the biscuits, chik-fil-a sauce and mayo on the sandwich 😋

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

When back to CaF to try the lunch CaF,  spicy chicken

on @blue_dolphin advice i got two ' sauce [sic] containers  

the CaF sauce :  mayo + sugar + dry of matchup  ?

and hot and sweet  :  siracha + sugar ?

I brought it home .  10 min.

this affected the bun .  the chicken  was crunchy , not greasy moist and tender.

it had much higher spiciness than one might expect for pst food.

two thin pickles  cut the richness of the fried food.

Id say if you like spicy chicken , its worth a try

but eat it there .

Ive had Wendy's spicy chicken several years ago.

it had lettuce tomato , and they addd extra tomato if asked.

I did like that rendition

can't remember enough about it to compare to CaF.

a P.S.:  this might be age related :  this stuff has real staying power 

but Id guess all FastFood does in relation to ones age.

Edited by rotuts (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I'm back in the south, CFA are everywhere, but I never go.  One, my mom doesn't eat chicken, so our compromise on fast food is Taco Bell.  The lines are always so long, that that's another deterrent.  As I mentioned in another post, no more cole slaw 🤬, so...

When I lived in CA, there wasn't many there so it was a more rare treat if I found one.  They finally built one in Walnut Creek, but as usual, the design of the drive thru (single lane) and parking lot was so bad, that I would just drive past because the line was out in the street and you couldn't get to it.  

If I get a fast food chicken sandwich, I still go to Popeye's.  It's much better IMO.  Their slaw sucks though.  Can't win.  

• Like 3

@RWood

interesting.

Im pleased I finally went to CFA.

checked off that interest.  4 minute diversion on the way to TJ's

Popeye's  is 20 minutes , each direction 

w no reason to make that trip for anything important.

Wendy's is very near by.

they had a two for one before the pandemic 

on the spicy chicken .

and they would add extra tomatoes etc.

that beats CFA by miles .

the extra tomatoes.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 1