• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My first Chik-fil-A

Artichoke

Since this has devolved into a general thread about all things southern, how about Mountain Dew when it was Mountain Dew? In the green returnable bottles with the enamaled label featuring a hillbilly. Anyone else remember this?

And BTW, sweet pickles are evil.

---Guy

Since this has devolved into a general thread about all things southern, how about Mountain Dew when it was Mountain Dew?  In the green returnable bottles with the enamaled label featuring a hillbilly.  Anyone else remember this?

---Guy

Yep. Have one at home. Preferred the "Kickapoo Joy Juice" bottles, though... And I'd rather drink SunDrop...

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

I will weigh in as one of those not fond of Chik-fil-A, for the record. I think that their sandwiches are just OK, and while it is a chicken breast, not a patty, they charge accordingly more for it. McDonald's charges a mere $1 for their minced, pieces-parts sandwich while Chik-fil-A charges $3 and change.

And there really is something to be said for correct spelling, even if you're being cute in a marketing slogan. You have no idea how much it bothers me to write the name Krispy Kreme, even though they have good doughnuts, because they not only use that ugly word, but they misspell it.

So, now that I've convinced everyone of my anal-retentiveness, I'd like to ask if anyone knows whether there is truth to the urban legend that Chik-fil-A marinates their chicken breasts in pickle juice? I heard this again the other night when I was asking folks if they liked Chik-fil-A or not. It's similar to the legend that McDonald's coats their french fries in a sugar solution to make them fry up more crisply.

That's crisply, not crispy, or crispily.

I'd like to ask if anyone knows whether there is truth to the urban legend that Chik-fil-A marinates their chicken breasts in pickle juice?

Rather doubt that the chicken is marinated in pickle juice because it doesn't taste particularly acidic (not to be confused with Hasidic...) .. I presume a salt water type of brine ..

Other food info on the preparation of Chik-Fil-A is available Here

Other product ingredients that may be of concern:

Our brownies contain walnuts and are processed in a plant that also processes peanuts

Some of our dipping sauces and dressings may contain anchovies. If you have an allergy to fish, we recommend you read the ingredient statements for these items.

During breakfast, sausage and bacon are cooked on the same grill as eggs

Our breaded chicken products are hand dipped in a milk and egg wash before being breaded and cooked

Some of our dressings and sauces may contain milk, or milk derivatives. Please double check the ingredient statement.

For gluten sensitive individuals, please visit our gluten page to review a list of potential gluten free items.

So, they do seem very upfront about their possible allergens ... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Oh man, I love me some Chick-Fil-A. As far as I am concerned they are one of the classiest fast food chains out there--they maintain a very high level of quality at reasonable prices. I always buy one or two of their sandwiches whenever I'm visiting my folks in North Carolina. (And I vote for "with pickle.")

After I moved to NYC, I wrote them a love letter basically begging them to come on across the Hudson River and open a restaurant here. (They have a few New Jersey stores, but nothing really close to the City.)

I offered to raise the money to open a franchise and everything. :rolleyes: (found out later they don't really "franchise" - they take $5000 in earnest money from would-be operators and set them up as manager of a company-owned store.)

I actually got a nice note from someone on Mr. Cathy's staff explaining that while they hoped to be in NYC one day, the costs of doing business here concerned them greatly, etc.

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

And there really is something to be said for correct spelling, even if you're being cute in a marketing slogan. You have no idea how much it bothers me to write the name Krispy Kreme, even though they have good doughnuts, because they not only use that ugly word, but they misspell it.

Agree absolutely here, FoodTutor. I suggest that we all started using the alternate (and correct) spelling, Chick Filet. No more worrying about whether it's an "a" or and "A" at the end of the word, and sales should soar: they're selling chicks? To go?

I don't actually mind odd spellings if they're part of a trademark, for obvious reasons. I do, however, absolutely loathe the use of terms like "kuntry cookin'" used to describe an establishment. More twee crap.

Oh, and I don't see the appeal of Krispy Kreme doughnuts. I don't think I'd like Crispy Cream doughnuts any better, either.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Proper spelling would have prevented one of the problems I have with Chick Filet. I once had an employee who was slightly ditzy, and she was talking to me about her husband and some other person who was a manager at Chik-A-Flick. And she kept going on and on, and all I could think about was, "What's Chik-A-Flick?" She said it over and over, and it took me the longest time to figure out what she was talking about.

Now, every time I hear the name Chik-fil-A, all I can think of is Chik-A-Flick. I think that if corporate executives were to see the effect these names have on less-intellectually-gifted individuals, who already have enough trouble spelling and using English correctly, they might rethink the cutesy ideas.

And when I say Krispy Kreme doughnuts are pretty good, I really mean that any yeast-raised, deep-fried doughnut is good, for those once a year events when I eat a doughnut.

Well, okay, if I'm going to eat a doughnut it may as well be a yeast-raised, deep-fried one.

And if I'm going to eat a fast food fried chicken sandwich it may as well be one made with an actual chicken breast that's reasonably well-prepared and not gooped up with extra condiments.

Can you pee in the ocean?

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to ask if anyone knows whether there is truth to the urban legend that Chik-fil-A marinates their chicken breasts in pickle juice?

I worked at a CFA when I was in high school. The regular (fried) sandwich is not marinated in pickle juice, but the marinades used for the chargrilled sandwich and the chicken strips (not the nuggests) use pickle juice.

Dawn

(Edit: fix quote)

Edited by klingedp (log)

I dearly wish Chick-Fil-A was a national chain, but it's not...quite. There are none at all in the Pacific NW, including Washington, Oregon and Alaska. Also none in Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota and Nebraska.

i feel the same way about sonic. i live in d.c., and the closest sonic is 2+ hours away. . at least there are a hand-ful of chik-fil-a's in this area.

my fiancee has this weird attachment to krystal. . .she grew up in chicago on white castle and finds krystal to be far superiour. . .personally, i have yet to try a white castle burger, as i only recently began my travels to her hometown.

I grew up in the midwest, and I've had both Krystal and White Castle. I don't think either one is better, and neither one is even notable. Mostly, I've had the impression that places like that stay open because they are 24 hour establishments, and there is no shortage of marijuana smokers in any region of the country.

There was a short-lived regional chain that I preferred to Krystal and White Castle. It was called Top Hat, and I remember liking their small, square fried chicken sandwich and onion petals. That was back when I was struggling through college and any meal that didn't consist of ramen noodles was a big treat, so I'd guess that if they were still around, I wouldn't appreciate them as much today as I did then.

From Ananova:

Rooster 'keeps coming back to chicken restaurant'

A rooster in America has found a new home that he keeps returning to - the foyer of a takeaway chicken restaurant.

Staff at the Chick-fil-A takeaway in Bluffton, South Carolina, say they first noticed the rooster strutting around the foyer last week and let it out - but it keeps coming back.

The Carolina Morning News says the restaurant, which invites customers to "Eat Mor Chicken" is now trying to decide what to feed the bird.

So far staff have fed it bread and biscuits. But it seems to want more.

Restaurant manager Carlton Beall said it would be 'gross' to feed him 'his own kind'.

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

I would kill right now to have a #1, with lemonade and an extra chick-fil-a. *drool*

*ponders buying a ticket home to eat fast food*

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely love Chick-Fil-A for breakfast! Fried chicken breast on a warm fluffy biscuit is trés yummy. Strangely enough, I've never had their regular sandwich, as I only ever seem to stop there at breakfast time.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

• 6 months later...

My FIRST post, about everybody's first CFA---tastes and pickles and soft buns and steamy chicken----you're missing something folks!!

The SAUCE, the SAUCE!!! It comes in a teensy rectangular packet, and you have to ask for it at the counter...they're dicey about putting out containers of condiments. Just say, "Two sauce, please" with grammar-be-darned ease, and snag a little pack of mayo while you're there.

Leave that warm sandwich in its little foil sauna and open the sauce, tearing the little lipped lid all the way off. Tear the corner off the mayo, and set both of these important accessories on one of the little folded napkins at your table. THEN, and only then, do you lay the softly steaming packet in front of you.

Gently split the sandwich wrapper, tearing it just so at the bottom, so as to make an irregularly-shaped nice silvery plate. Now you're cooking. Lift the top bun off the chicken and rearrange the pickle, if you choose, and IF you were lucky enough to receive more than one...it's like a double-yolk egg; finding two slices means GOOD LUCK all day.

Then, pick up that little box of sauce and gently dribble a teensy bit onto the inside of the top bun. Squeeze a bit of the mayo in a pretty little pattern mongst the red bloblets, and put the top back on the sandwich. You can even pick up one of those crispy wafflefries and spread the sauces neatly if you're dainty.

NOW: squeeze the remaining mayo into the remaining sauce in the little cup. Break a waffle and stir the red and white til it's a lovely browny pink. Crunch down that baptized bit of crisp potato, close your eyes, and give thanks for the six days a week the doors are open.

Eat sandwich. Dip fries at will. Go to counter for more sauce and mayo---you're hooked.

When Life hands you lemons, they make pretty good ammo if you throw them hard enough.

"Hey Chick-fil-A,

today Chick-fil-A,

that boneless breast of chicken

worth wating for...."

I have had that old Chick-fil-A jingle in my head since the 70's...

When a Chick-fil-A opened in my town last year people lined up and camped outside of the store for 2 days. They gave the first 100 people free chick-fil-A for a year. The news helicopters were flying, I tell ya.

Haven't tried their chicken biscuit breakfast, but it sounds good.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

Having had to make a number of connecting flights through Atlanta recently, one of the only good things I can say about the airport is the Chick-fil-A in the A terminal. It is a welcome sight for a New Yorker whose city is sadly lacking the establishment.

Has anyone tried the new Chick-fil-A Chick-n-Minis on the breakfast menu? They are described as "Bite-sized Chick-fil-A Nuggets nestled in warm, mouth watering mini yeast rolls that are lightly coated with honey butter spread." Sounds pretty damn good.

But don't ask for the pickles or even the Chik-fil-A on a Sunday ..

company policy decrees this, according to their president, Truett Cathy ...

Chic-Fil-A is the best...I worked for them in high school...I gotta tell you pickle people...there's juice in the marinade for the chargrilled sandwich, gives it a great flavor.

and I never crave a Chic Fil A more than on a Sunday...it's the worst! :blink:

"have a sense of humor about things...you'll need it" A. Bourdain

• 3 weeks later...

Have any of you in Atlanta ever visited the first ever Chick Fil-A restaurant? It's called the Dwarf House and it's down by the Ford Plant in Hapeville. When I was attending college at Georgia Tech it was a weekend tradition to head down to the original Dwarf House and order a hot brown and iced tea. This was like 15 years ago, so I don't even know if the Dwarf House even features hot browns on their menu. But, its basically the same recipe transplanted from Louisville: basically an open-faced sandwich with turkey, toast, and gravy. I don't think Chick Fil-A put bacon on theirs. No pickle either :wink:

Also, when I started college in Atlanta it was the first time I ever saw a free-standing Chick-Fil-A restaurant. Up until then, I had only seen Chick Fil-A's in the shopping mall food court. Now, there is a free-standing one about 5 minutes from my house here in Tampa. Hmmm, I think I know what I am having for lunch tomorrow. :rolleyes:

I have tried the Chick-Fil-A minis and they are delicious ! I love Chick-Fil-A. I am glad that I have one close by.

I once had a friend visiting from out of town (she used to live in the area) yell out "Is that Chick-Fil-A !!!????" as she was driving, and veer across 3 lanes of traffic to get to it ! :laugh:

She told me it was one of the things she missed after she moved.

Today is going to be one of those days.....

There is a Chik-Fil-A in the UD Perkins Student Center. I had many meals there while I attended. Overall their sandwhiches weren't bad when loaded up with enough pickles, and the waffle frys were to die for when coated with enough hot sauce, but, honestly, I feel the McDonalds Crispy Chicken sandwhich is a far superior product, far crispier skin, and much more delicious mayo slathered onto it. Also, the Chik-Fil-A being closed on Sundays was incredibly annoying and inconvenient.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

• 2 months later...