• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My first Chik-fil-A

Artichoke

While spending this past weekend with my girlfriend's family in Decatur, Alabama I had my first Chik-fil-A. Wow. I have not eaten from a quick serve/fast food restaurant since graduating from college 12 years ago, but Chik-fil-A is in a league of its own.

I got two of the signature fried chicken breast sandwiches an order of waffle fries and a lemonade. The breast is my least favorite part of the chicken as it has none of the fat or flavor of dark meat, but this was fantastic. With terrifficly seasoned breading, the breasts were tender and moist. I saw something on the TV Food Network about how the chicken is cooked in a preassurized fryer, I guess that is the secret. Soft bun, crisp fries, great lemonade, Chik-fil-A lived up to my southern girlfriend's hype.

If only they would open one up in Manhattan.

But did you like the pickle???

Yes I did. Of course you are speaking to a pickle fanatic. I pack the overhead compartment with Mt. Olive Pickles everytime I travel south of the Mason-Dixon line. Love the pickled okra and bread and butter.

Pickles belong neither in tuna salad, nor on a Chick-fil-A sandwich. I can't believe they're still making this mistake.

See, I like the pickles on the Chick-fil-A. I even ask for extra.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Pickles belong neither in tuna salad, nor on a Chick-fil-A sandwich. I can't believe they're still making this mistake.

See, I like the pickles on the Chick-fil-A. I even ask for extra.

Watch for a package in the mail.

Does the sweet tea belong with either?

I think so. :wub:

Rice pie is nice.

Oh Dave. I am usually so with you on most food matters, but not this one.

Okay, I can bow to your expertise on the Tuna salad (easy to do since I HATE Tuna salad with or without pickles), but it just works on the Chick-fil-A.

I have to check, but I actualy think we've got a Chick-fil-A appreciation thread buried somewhere in "General Topics".

EDIT - Sorry, wrong. What I was thinking of was the slightly less specific "The Chicken Sandwich Thread".

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

But did you like the pickle???

Yes I did. Of course you are speaking to a pickle fanatic. I pack the overhead compartment with Mt. Olive Pickles everytime I travel south of the Mason-Dixon line. Love the pickled okra and bread and butter.

Suburban Atlanta is considerably below the Mason-Dixon line, and Mt. Olive pickle products are readily available at the chain grocery stores around here.

As one who is often anti-chain - make that almost always and especially the national chains - one of my very few exceptions is Chick Fil A*

* When the sandwich is freshly made and hasn't been sitting around the holding bin for half the after noon.

And yes, the pickle is an essential ingredient.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Pickles and canned tuna go together like, well, pickles and tuna. Dill pickles. Sweet pickles would be wrong.

I use a post office box. :raz:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

But don't ask for the pickles or even the Chik-fil-A on a Sunday ..

company policy decrees this, according to their president, Truett Cathy ...

and I have always enjoyed their fresh hot chicken sandwich, but never soggy .. the pickle is never optional, nor the mayo ... classic southern fare ... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Chick-fil-A doesn't put mayo on their sandwich, at least in the locations I've been in. And to my mind, it doesn't need it.

I know they leave off the mayo but I like to add a little from the squeeze package because it makes it taste better to me ... :rolleyes:

I know they leave off the mayo but I like to add a little from the squeeze package because it makes it taste better to me ... :rolleyes:

Amen....chicken sandwich and mayo....a heavenly created duo.

Kinda like basil and tomato...just not as religious.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

. . . pickles, exactly two, very important.

Chick-fil-A only gives you one per sandwich. Check with Jason and Brooks, though. They're each due for a package soon.

Not what their website indicates: official pickle quotient per sandwich :hmmm: note the give away plural ... and then there is the sodium!! :shock:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

. . . pickles, exactly two, very important.

Chick-fil-A only gives you one per sandwich. Check with Jason and Brooks, though. They're each due for a package soon.

Not what their website indicates: official pickle quotient per sandwich :hmmm: note the give away plural ...

In thirty years of sammiches (my best guess is a thousand of them), I have never gotten more nor less than one slice per.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Come to think of it, I gave you some pickles this weekend (albeit pickled tomatoes) and they would probably be mighty fine on a Chik-fil A. Before you start filling your envelopes I suggest that you give pickles one more try. After all, pickles on a sandwich beat a stretch at Terminal Island (you may want to read this before you go any further with your little biology experiment). :raz:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Come to think of it, I gave you some pickles this weekend (albeit pickled tomatoes) and they would probably be mighty fine on a Chik-fil A. Before you start filling your envelopes I suggest that you give pickles one more try. After all, pickles on a sandwich beat a stretch at Terminal Island (you may want to read this before you go any further with your little biology experiment). :raz:

I am not talking about your divine 'maters, Brooks (the first of which I consumed this afternoon on a slice of fresh bread and butter, thank you very much). I am talkin' 'bout limp, hot, wrinkly cucumbers nestled obscenely up against a crisply fried chicken breast.

ewwww.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.