• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My first Chik-fil-A

Artichoke

• 5 months later...

The best part about Chick Fil A other than the Chick itself is the sweet tea. It is made to recipie and it's consistent everywhere it's served and some smart person reminded them that you have to wash the pot out every now and then or it starts to taste a little rank. AND - they ALWAYS have lemons.

I did not realize that I had a sweet tea addiction until I moved to Northern VA/Washington DC area several years ago and couldn't find any....and then....low and behold....much to my glee....discovered a Chick Fil A in the food court at the Ballston Mall (a mall that otherwise has no redeeming qualities)......

According to the company's website,

"Our official statement of corporate purpose says that we exist "to glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us and to have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A."

In keeping with this, they're closed on Sundays because it's "God's day".

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

In keeping with this, they're closed on Sundays because it's "God's day".

Yes of course, but God does have a way of working him or herself into the foodchain....the Virgin Mary Grilled Cheese...the potato chip....etc. God knows I've probably accidentally eaten one of these at some time or another and will go to hell for it. At least CFA acknowledges God one day a week....that way, if he or she happens to look like a pickle or chicken finger and is accidentally consumed by an unwitting heathen, perhaps there will be forgiveness.....

just a theory....god knows if it's any good or not..... :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been reading this topic off-and-on, since I don't have a chik-fil-A anywhere near me, nor have I been near one (to my knowledge). But I just realized today that I've been pronouncing it incorrectly. All this time, I've been saying, "chick fill uh" as I read, and I just realized that it must be "chick fill eh" as in fillet. Chalk one up for the dummies like me! :laugh:

I just tried a Chick Fil A in the Norristown PA area.

The Diet Coke was decaffeinated.

What's up with that?  Have never previously seen a chain impose decaffeinated on its customers.

I only today noticed the 'decaff by force' diet coke at Chick Fil A and when I asked, no one could say why. It's obviously not a caffein thing as the regular coke has it.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

But I just realized today that I've been pronouncing it incorrectly.  All this time, I've been saying, "chick fill uh" as I read, and I just realized that it must be "chick fill eh" as in fillet.  Chalk one up for the dummies like me!  :laugh:

Make that two of us. I say to my husband, "I don't get the name." He says, "what don't you get? It's chick-fill-eh!" Pause. "OH!" I'm not too bright sometimes. :laugh:

• Like 1

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

• 15 years later...

Reviving this ancient discussion for a recent news article:

"Chick-fil-A is facing a sauce shortage"

The supply chain shortage just got fowl: Chick-fil-A is limiting the number of sauces it's giving out to customers because of limited stock.
The chicken chain said Wednesday that industry-wide supply chain issues, which are affecting essentially every aspect of the economy, has resulted in a "shortage of select items" that Chick-fil-A serves, including sauces.

First a ketchup packet shortage, then a shortage of chicken wings, and now Chick-fil-A sauce packets.

The Pandemic is certainly making its mark on the fast food world.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 minute ago, Kim Shook said:

The funny thing is that they have started selling the sauces in bottles in stores - at least local to me.  They are loaded with the stuff.  Maybe they caused their own shortage.

Yes, I saw the local Walmart Neighborhood Grocery Store carried the sauces. I wasn't familiar with the Polynesian Sauce (what does it taste like?).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

29 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Yes, I saw the local Walmart Neighborhood Grocery Store carried the sauces. I wasn't familiar with the Polynesian Sauce (what does it taste like?).

I don't actually know.  I almost never go to CFA - I prefer Popeyes.  I've always assumed it's some kind of sweet and sour thing.  Does anyone know???

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 7:50 PM, Kim Shook said:

I don't actually know.  I almost never go to CFA - I prefer Popeyes.  I've always assumed it's some kind of sweet and sour thing.  Does anyone know???

Very sweet...used to have a coworker who loved getting chicken strips and we always had extra sauce packs in the office kitchen!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 5/12/2021 at 7:50 PM, Kim Shook said:

I'll second that. The bird quality, bun and overall execution are very similar but the Popeye's spicy mayo sc sets is apart.  Our older one loves fried chicken (one of the few things we are not inspired to make often) so the new, nearby location, is becoming a once a monther.  One of the family deals includes 5 or 6 mixed pieces, 3 chick sandwiches, large side, biscuits and 3 apple pies for $20.  Pretty good deal I think.   

• Like 2

That wasn't chicken

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still mad at CFA for getting rid of cole slaw.  A Southern company and you get rid of cole slaw?!?  So not right.  I put it on the chicken sandwich.  Honestly, I prefer Popeye's if I'm doing fast food chicken sandwich, but their cole slaw isn't that great.  And when I think fried chicken, I don't say, Oh I would like kale crunch salad with that 🙄.  I heard that there are still Atlanta locations that didn't take it off the menu, but won't be fighting traffic there for that.  

• Like 4

20 hours ago, RWood said:

I'm still mad at CFA for getting rid of cole slaw.  A Southern company and you get rid of cole slaw?!?  So not right.  I put it on the chicken sandwich.  Honestly, I prefer Popeye's if I'm doing fast food chicken sandwich, but their cole slaw isn't that great.  And when I think fried chicken, I don't say, Oh I would like kale crunch salad with that 🙄.  I heard that there are still Atlanta locations that didn't take it off the menu, but won't be fighting traffic there for that.  

This,  exactly.  It was good enough that I would buy a large one to serve with dinner some weeknights.  Another fast food place that used to have wonderful slaw was KFC.  They didn't discontinue, but changed the recipe and it's rubbish now.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I always did the same!! 😂

So did I, but either way it's a dopey name. Never been to one.  I have to say their evangelical donations put me off. We have Bakesale Betty here in Oakland and after years there is still a line for the fried chicken sandwich. Her coleslaw is spicy, no mayo, excellent, and they bake their own bread. Chicken fried to order. If you are addicted to fried chicken sandwiches and find yourself in the East Bay, try Betty's. I haven't been in a few years, but the outdoor set up is hilarious: ironing boards are the tables. I don't remember any chairs. I never even heard of a fried chicken sandwich before Betty's made such a splash. Also Betty's hair was a fabulous shade of blue. Messy, juicy, crispy wonderful sandwich. 

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

A nearby Chick-fil-A relocated closer to my office (walking distance) and opened this week so I decided to head over for lunch. They have a special/limited time honey/pepper pimento cheese chicken sandwich which I decided to try. I'm not a fast food consumer for the most part, maybe 1-2 times a year I get their cold chicken wrap sandwich. The specialty sandwich was a bit more expensive than the standard sandwich, $7.25, and freshly prepared - the chicken filet was clearly just out of the fryer, it almost burned my tongue. It was perfectly acceptable for what it was, if a bit blander overall than what I anticipated.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

8 hours ago, gfweb said:

Chik-fil-A's is a sandwich with chicken that is fried, but I wouldn't call it a fried chicken sandwich.

Popeye's and Shake Shack are fried chicken sandwiches.

Having had none of the above, could you explain more of the difference?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Funny memory boost. My big preggo crave was the Wienerschnitzel fried chicken sandwich - heavy smear of mayo, good tomato, iceberg lettuce. Online does not shw as an item that far back. I still miss it. Hit the spot. I'd waddle around corner for it and dab each bit in Tabasco. Yum.

• Like 1