• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Markets & other non-sequitors

mikec

Hi,

My name is Mike.  I am a new participant here.  To give you some background, for the past six years I have lived in the Gramercy Park neighborhood in NYC.  This past August, my wife and I move to NJ so we could have some more space.  We are expecting our first child in January and the 1BR, 1Bath, no matter how nice it was just wouldn't do anymore.  We now live in Westfield which has many positives, including being much closer to the golf course.  However we miss the NYC markets.  I have found that the general quality of the food at the supermarkets is average at best.  I remember growing up in NJ.  Everyone thought that Kings was the best market.  I went to the one in Garwood last week and thought that the new Shoprite in Garwood was at least twice as nice.  The produce at Kings was depressing.  The best market that I have found in our area is the Whole Foods in Milburn and even that is just decent.  Two weeks ago, WF didn't even have leeks.  I am in desperate need of suggestions.  I suspect that I'm just shopping in the wrong places.

Currently I'm still doing a once a week market run in NYC when I need cheese, fish, or some harder to find produce.

Help me!

Mike

Congratulations and best wishes on your family. Westfield is a wonderful town, and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

You may want to consider Asian markets for produce. I shop regularly at Maxim's in Parsippany, where I've found the produce to be of very high quality. I'm sure an inquiry would prob identify a good source nearby.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

There is a good Asian market on Rt. 1 in Edison near Old Post Rd. Also, there is one on Rt. 27 in Edison--close to Highland Park in the Topps shopping center. It use to be the Topps shopping center. Topps is out of business and I don't know if they renamed it.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rail:

Maxims isnt bad but for some reason theres an odor in that place I cant stand. Have you checked out Kam Man Food on RT 10 in East Hanover, which is in the shopping plaza also that has the great malaysian restaurant Penang?

Kam Man is bigger if not better than Maxims and I think their produce is just as good if not better, IMHO...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Michael, I agree that the Kings isn't anything to get excited about. I can't even find good fresh mozzarella.

On a separate note: have you found any restaurants you can recommend yet? Try Theresa's in Westfield, it's often good and pricing is reasonable.

Jtracey:

Fresh mozzerella can be found at Esposito's on RT 10 in East Hanover, near the Fedex complex. They've also got a nice selection of salamis, olive oils, olives, cheeses, etc.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Good suggestion...

Esposito's, on the corner of Melanie Lane and Ridgedale Avenue, about 1/4 mile north of Route 10.

Great food, very old style Italian craftsmanship, very busy on Saturdays

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo