• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good eats in King of Prussia/Malvern Area?

I'm moving in with my fiancee in September in Paoli, PA, and I'm curious as to your recommendations. Lunch places, takeout, fine dining, whatever you recommend, I'm up for...

Seems like there's a real glut of chain restaurants, much like my current town of Piscataway, NJ (took me a year to find the good places on my own here!) so I'm hoping to speed up the process...

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

You would have to be more specific as to what kind of food you are looking for. As far as chains go, KOP has a lot of them, along with some of the more upscale chains. All of the following can be found at the mall:

Cheesecake Factory

Pacific Rim

Cosi

California Pizza Kitchen

Mortons

Sullivans

Kildare's (Irish pub)

Fox & Hound

Ruby's Diner

Maggiano's

Bahama Breeze

There's a Charlie Brown's (along with a Trader Joe's) south on 202. For a really good, cheap lunch, there is the Bridgeport Rib House that is north on 202. Also, in the same direction, Michael's Deli is a good jewish deli.

Any questions about specific cuisines? Oh, and for fine dining, head up South Gulph Road from the KOP mall to Savona, probably my favorite expensive restaurant (even including those in Philadelphia).

Derek

http://www.threateningletters.com

(When a kind word just isn't enough)

Nudy's Cafe, tucked away by the tracks on Conestoga Road in Devon is great for breakfast and lunch. Not at all fancy, just good.

America Bar & Grill in Chester Springs and Epicurean in Phoenixville (same ownership) have good food and they're serious about their bars. Both have entertainment, also.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Also check out the restaurant at People's Light Theatre in Malvern.

Let me shill for Katie's friend Mike Merlo who runs the kitchen there.

Herb:

As much as I'm certain Michael appreciates the plug, I just heard from him that he's had a parting of the ways with the ownership there. Too many changes of concept in too short a time frame and the desire to bring more people in at the partner level were the camel-breaking straws. I still haven't had the chance to really speak to him about it at length so that's all I know.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Check out the Classic Diner on Rt. 30 in Malvern/Frazer. It can be loud and crowded, but the breakfasts and lunches are truly worth it. Make sure to bring your appetite. And they are expanding the dining room, which sould help quite a bit.

For Chinese, I like Margaret Quo's Mandarin Palace, again on Rt. 30 in Malvern.

For Vietnamese, try Le Saigon in Paoli at the intersection of Rt. 30 and Rt. 252.

For Indian, I like the place in the shops in Chesterbrook. I think it's called the Taj Mahal.

partner level were the camel-breaking straws. I still haven't had the chance to really speak to him about it at length so that's all I know.

Hey, the camel didn't break. Only its back did. Not quite as bad.

Oh well, that's too bad. I liked what I saw of it based on the website menu.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I'm definitely looking for any non-chain restaurants - they seem to get lost in the neon gleam of the Cheesecake Factories and Ruth Chris' of the area :wink:

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Check out the Classic Diner on Rt. 30 in Malvern/Frazer. It can be loud and crowded, but the breakfasts and lunches are truly worth it. Make sure to bring your appetite. And they are expanding the dining room, which sould help quite a bit.

For Chinese, I like Margaret Quo's Mandarin Palace, again on Rt. 30 in Malvern.

For Vietnamese, try Le Saigon in Paoli at the intersection of Rt. 30 and Rt. 252.

For Indian, I like the place in the shops in Chesterbrook. I think it's called the Taj Mahal.

LOL I've been to 3 of these already (really loved Le Saigon and Classic Diner!) - I haven't been to Quo's yet...

so I'm guessing I'm off to a rousing start then :biggrin:

Edited by laurenmilan (log)

There's a great little irish bar with amazingly good food hidden in King of Prussia. It's called Fiddlers Green and I couldn't tell you the address. It's nestled in a housing area in a small strip mall right next to a 6!-11 convenience store. Can't tell you how to get there (my car knows the way) but do know that you have to pass a 2 story rooster on the way. Try it, pretty good reasonalbe menu and great live music in the evenings.

Ray's Diner on Germantown Pike off 202 near Boston Market is a must for breakfast/brunch. The crab and asparagus omelette it great, so is the stuffed french toast.

There's also the much hyped taqueria la michoacana on Main street in Norristown. A great weeknight dinner.

I second Michael's as a great Jewish Deli, as well as a specialty beer source, if high priced.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Tifco's China Bistro in Exton has a fantastic authentic Szechuan menu.

It's at the corner of route 30 and 100 in the Kohls/Marshalls shopping center.

Unless you're Chinese, you have to specially request it.

Edited by stephenc (log)

Bahama Breeze

FWIW, I did take my fiancee out to Bahama Breeze one night pre-movies, and it does have really good selection and quality in its entrees, sort of an "equatorial cuisine" feel to it, everything from Mexican to Jamaican to Southeast Asian to Polynesian.

The only problem is, judging from the relatively sparse crowds in the restaurant (compared to the other chains nearby) the diners were often befuddled or intimidated by the menu. A lot of the items are unfamiliar to the mainstream palate. I guess if that's the worst thing I can say about a chain restaurant, then it must be one very cool chain restaurant. :cool: