• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

REALLY fresh fish !

I did a search for fish and could not get anything. I would welcome your suggestions on where to get it freshest and at the best price. I did not care for Johnnys in tacoma. what vendors in the pike place market have it freshest?

thanks for your help.

And this recent thread featuring Mutual Fish:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=43050

And an article from the P-I about buying off the Boat at Fishermen's Terminal:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/157365_fish21.html

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Thanks for your help I will make the trip up to the city to get at the good stuff. I need to move out of gig harbor when my lease is up so I can be near the fresh fish. Hard to believe that there is no fresh fish supply here in gig....only grocery stores.

Thanks again

There's also Uwajimaya in the International District for getting fish still swimming in the tank.

In the wintertime, they also have live uni (sea urchin) as well. Mmmmm!

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

On 47th in the U District is University Seafood and Poultry. My usual Saturday routine in the summer is to go to the University Farmers Market to get produce, etc. and then to University Seafood for something to grill with it. It's funny how many people you see in University Seafood that you just saw at the Farmers Market!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I second University Seafood and Poultry and go there fairly often because it's convenient. I also like the fish market next to Chinook's at Fisherman's terminal, though one of these days I'm going to have to try buying something off the boats. The prices are amazingly low.

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

On 47th in the U District is University Seafood and Poultry. My usual Saturday routine in the summer is to go to the University Farmers Market to get produce, etc. and then to University Seafood

Hey, this is my routine, too! See you there, LEdlund. I agree that University Seafood is terrific, both for fresh fish and preserved (kippered, smoked..not sure what the difference is but they are both great).

There's also Uwajimaya in the International District for getting fish still swimming in the tank.

In the wintertime, they also have live uni (sea urchin) as well. Mmmmm!

Pat

one word of caution about Uwajimaya... I have one time unbelievably gotten dungeness crab meat (already shelled) that was NOT fresh. I didn't find out until later that day when I went to use it for my recipe. From now on I guess it's best to ask for a small taste before buying just to make sure.

I think Mutual Fish is an excellent place for fish and their place is spotless, the water tanks clear, etc. I also like Wild Salmon at Fisherman's terminal, and I trust University Seafood and Poultry completely as well. Those would be my top 3 picks.

I stopped by the new Fish store at the West Seattle junction, and unfortunately, I was not impressed by either the layout of the store, nor the 'off' smell as I entered. I wonder if they will make it?

I would love to buy some fresh fish off a boat at Fisherman's terminal though. I have never tried (or even seen) that.

I second Pure Food Fish in the Market, with the caveat that Jack's is the place to go for Dungeness crabs - they have tanks, and are the only place in the market to sell live, or fresh cooked crabs. They also have tanks for the oysters and clams. And they also smoke their own salmon.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Where exactly are the boats that sell fish off Fisherman's Terminal?

I'm not that familiar with that area.

Landmarks i know of are the Ballard Locks and Ray's/Anthony's.

Thanks!

Landmark is Chinooks - you need to be on the Magnolia side of the Ballard Bridge.

Edited by tsquare (log)

And at the Market, many of us (including me) like Pure Food Fish.

Forget about Mutual Fish. I've tried it & I buy all my fish from Pure Fish. An added bonus for me is that the shop has been in a local Sephardic Jewish family since it was founded in the 1910s I believe. They came here from Mediterranean fishing communities (can't remember if it was Rhodes or Turkey). To watch the gleamingly fresh fish like the purple tuna in the case is a real treat. You know you're getting fresh when you shop there.

My only quibble with Pure Fish (& this is true of almost all fishmongers) is that they don't seem aware or to care about fish origins. Why don't fish folk do more research on this & tell the story to their customers? I think little signs accompanying the fish display which tell where & when fish were caught would not only be helpful, but would encourage sales. I once asked them about swordfish (at least I think it was that species) they were offering because I'd heard that most was caught illegally & stocks were severely depleted. They were sure it was harvested legally, but a forum member here said there is almost no legal catch & that this was probably impossible. I'd like fishmongers to tell customers what they do to ensure that they're trying to lessen the diminishment of fish stocks around the world. Probably most of them are doing nothing & that's a shame.

I guess I could give up fish (I've stopped buying the swordfish), but it seems cruel to give up such a wonderful pleasure..