• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roquefort and Wine

jaypm51

I have a pretty good palate for both cheese and wine and have been doing both for more than just a few years. Among my favorite cheeses are Roquefort and Gorgonzola and after all these many years of pairing them with a variety of Sauternes, Ports, and Banyuls I'm not satisfied I've found the perfect match. Would welcome input and observations Thanks all, in advance.

Jay

You are what you eat.

I stare at the last two options that I tried...both darn good we thought.

a Trollinger Icewine, produced by Weingut Dr. Bauman, Scholoss Affanltrach, Wurttemberg...1999

or

antinori's muffato..1999 as well.

let me know what you think.

I've always enjoyed an Oregon Pinot Noir with blue cheeses. I don't know if you have access to wines from Ontario or not, but Cave Springs makes an incredible off-dry Riesling that I've found to be wonderful with blue cheese, especially Roquefort.

Before I scrolled down this thread, I had Amarone in my mind. Other whites not mentioned would be a Vouvray Moelleux or an Alsatian Pinot Gris SGN.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Yep, Amarone is great. Also California syrahs and Rhones, and late harvest syrah.

I used to enjoy Rieslings with Gorgonzola when it was a girls' night kind of thing. Now Stilton is more of a late evening snack with red-wine-loving couples, and we gravitate toward smoky reds.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Thanks all for the input. Looks like I'll just have to organize a tasting of the wines with the cheese. Will post notes as soon as possible. :raz:

Jay

You are what you eat.